Tell me why or why not I should consider Wabash as a retirement location.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I didn't grow up in Indiana, but I'm quite happy having adopted it as my new home. It really feels like my home, and I wish I had been born here and lived here all my life. The people I know here are so much more genuine and friendly. When I do have to travel out of state, the second I pass the "Welcome To Indiana" sign on the highway, I get this sense of relief and joy that I'm home again. I F'ing love this state.

I'm going to retire soon, and I want to find a place in a small town somewhere. My family and I, and more recently just my wife and I have travelled the state just experiencing Indiana. Most recently, my wife and I spent a few days in Wabash. Nice town, but it seems to be mostly closed on the weekend, which is a bummer. With a bit of research, I've found that home prices seem to be high, while the median family income is around $14,000! Also, the population has been declining for about 50 years. I don't want to move to dying town.

People who live in and around there, what's the real deal about Wabash?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I love being retired in Southern Indiana. I'm 30 minutes from a Walmart and I love it. Also I'm just a few miles from the best motorcycling roads in Indiana. :rockwoot:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Looked at anything farther NE? Bluffton? Decatur?

Or farther in the Ft. Wayne area? Columbia City? Leo?

Farther still towards Auburn or Garrett?

West a bit towards Warsaw? The Warsaw area is gorgeous.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The Warsaw area is nice. I have a friend that retired to North Manchester/ Barbee lake, and another near the Palestine area. Both are close to Warsaw which offers a lot (atleast compared to where I'm from) Palestine is real small, The lakes have more activity.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Suppose if one divided the state into quarters Wabash would be considered in the NE, for those of us truly in the north, we think of it as central by north central.

Enjoy occasionally passing thru Wabash to take in the architecture downtown, beyond that does it offer much more?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I never gave Wabash I thought when thinking about retirement. To be honest, Indianas weather is no longer my idea of fun. Lately it seems the summers are getting shorter and shorter, we had snow in Fort Wayne the first week of May. I know it is very cliche' but I am ready to leave for Florida. Of course I am about 25 years away from retirement and the wife loves the university she teaches at so . . . . .

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Any small town within comfortable driving distance of Fort Wayne would works for us. Worked and lived in Fort Wayne for 33 years, but after retiring we moved west of the Fort to the country. Anything that can't be ordered can usually be found some where in Fort Wayne. We usually eat at home, but on occasion we go to the Fort for something special. Very happy with going into Columbia City small town businesses, too. We are just far enough form the Fort that we have nice quiet country living. JMHO...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Never lived in Wabash but darn if I know why you won't want to.
    In my travels one means of judging a place became "Would this be a good place for a toe headed boy to grow up?"
    I figger Wabash would get a pretty good score on the THB scale.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Grew up in Fort Wayne and live in northwest Indiana now. If I was looking to retire and move somewhere in Indiana it would 30-40 minutes outside Fort Wayne. It’s affordable and has access everything I need that can’t be bought online. Also some good restaurants and a couple large hospitals if something goes wrong.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Warsaw, Indiana?

:):

I used to deliver meds to a facility in Warsaw. Maybe I missed something, but the word "gorgeous" never came to mind.
    One of the nurses at the facility was kinda cute, though.

Look, I know you enjoy disagreeing with me and all...

But, yes. The Warsaw area is gorgeous. Trees, lakes, rolling fields, wood lots abound. That whole region of IN is quite pretty.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And that's a fact.
    Besides, if you're married to a talented quilter :wavey: Warsaw has a very nice fabric, sewing supply and machine repair shop.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Look, I know you enjoy disagreeing with me and all...

But, yes. The Warsaw area is gorgeous. Trees, lakes, rolling fields, wood lots abound. That whole region of IN is quite pretty.

Well, if you weren't wrong so much...

It's all subjective of course, but to me, Indiana doesn't even get close to "pretty," let alone gorgeous until you get south of Indy.

Methinks you need a trip out west.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Looked at anything farther NE? Bluffton? Decatur?

Or farther in the Ft. Wayne area? Columbia City? Leo?

Farther still towards Auburn or Garrett?

West a bit towards Warsaw? The Warsaw area is gorgeous.

We've been looking all over the Northeast quadrant. Basically North of Indy and East of 31.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Well, if you weren't wrong so much...

It's all subjective of course, but to me, Indiana doesn't even get close to "pretty," let alone gorgeous until you get south of Indy.

Methinks you need a trip out west.

Far south of Indy. Indy South is becoming overcrowded and crime ridden

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ex BIL was looking at an old factory building for cheep, but that thing would have needed a lot of work. He was promising me a piece or two, but he wouldn't let me have any good bits. One thing he got lodged in his brain was to strip the bars of copper out of the conduit for $copper, but I couldn't get through to him that just as much copper would have to be put back in at electrician rates, so it was a huge loss. He wanted me to do that kind of ****, and this was back when I was liable to DIE at any time. I didn't want that to be the last thing I ever did.

Anyway, Wabash was a lovely little town for what I got to see of it. It's not so far from Mad Anthony's, has some terrain to it. You're close to that long range that'll rent you a .50bmg. Then up and left a bit is Churubusco. There's a gun shop, and I don't know if she's still working there, but a nice lady on INGO would just love to show you all the Glocks in the place.

Top Bottom