• ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Greetings all!

I find myself in a slight conundrum: I am at a training course wherein I have to present a ten minute lesson to the rest of the class. Being an instructor already, I am plenty used to teaching and delivering public instruction. My problem presents itself in that ten minutes is an awful short time to teach a lesson on any topic. I need ideas from the brain trust here to help select an idea on which to make my lesson! The topic can be anything, as long as it's a "how-to" type of lesson or instruction.

Thus far, I have thought about:

-Sharpening a knife
    -Packing a hiking backpack
    -Building a fire
    -How to build your EDC
    -Deploying a fire extinguisher

I'm leaning towards either showing how to build a fire or deploying a fire extinguisher (no, I'm not a fire bug).

Does anyone else have any fun ideas?

Thanks!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I like the fire extinguisher idea.

Useful skill for anyone
    Easily relatable
    Low level of difficulty - includes a mnemonic
    Fun demonstration opportunities
    Easy to cover in 10m and still allow some Q&A

If you need more presentation time you can talk about the various types of extinguishers & where/when they're used.

Alternative: how-to make a PB&J. Everybody likes a sammich!

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Change a tire

Amputate a finger and cauterize the wound

Safely erect a ladder deer stand

Remove a wildcat from a conibear

Set up and place a Covert Cellular Trail Camera

Wax the ass, nostrils and ears of a hairy man

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Thanks for the great ideas y'all!

I just came back from a hiking trip and have my loaded bag in the garage. I'm going to do "How to properly pack a hiking backpack."

I REALLY thought about the fire extinguisher, but it was almost TOO easy! I actually have to put some work into the class....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I did mine on whether or not one should "reply all" to an email. Every time someone does, I'm tempted to reply all with the PowerPoint I made.
    The Reply All option is definitely overused. I sometimes get emails that go out to half the DoD and then have to put up with the people using "reply all" saying that they shouldn't have received the email. So instead of just the sender receiving that email, everybody gets 30 or 40 copies of it (one for each person saying they shouldn't have received it). :rolleyes: They should build in a warning prompt when you try and use Reply All asking if you really want to reply to everyone.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    How comfortable are you with teaching a very basic stop the bleed class? It could cover the most basic information: when and how to use a tourniquet, when and how to wound pack, when and how to apply pressure.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    How comfortable are you with teaching a very basic stop the bleed class? It could cover the most basic information: when and how to use a tourniquet, when and how to wound pack, when and how to apply pressure.

I actually thought about that. I’m a Stop The Bleed instructor as well. When it comes to life-saving information, it’s hard to feel like I’ve adequately delivered quality, complete instruction and have developed competent skills in the students in just the regular course material. I thought about just breaking it down to applying a TQ but even then, it’s too important to rush.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'm going to have to go with "How to properly cook bacon." It's a skill everyone needs! It kind of goes with the fire extinguisher idea, grease fires and what not.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The Reply All option is definitely overused. I sometimes get emails that go out to half the DoD and then have to put up with the people using "reply all" saying that they shouldn't have received the email. So instead of just the sender receiving that email, everybody gets 30 or 40 copies of it (one for each person saying they shouldn't have received it). :rolleyes: They should build in a warning prompt when you try and use Reply All asking if you really want to reply to everyone.

How many people is half the DoD? We have 1600 or so on our mail recipient list.

Top Bottom