• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Do rounds ignited by fire pose any real threat of penetration to someone with a face shield and heavy fireman's coat?

I dispose of damaged rounds by throwing them in my fire pit and they don't really do much other than pop. The bullet might fly a few feet, if that. I don't really recommend doing it, but I get a lot of damaged ammunition from work and have to dispose of it somehow.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Bunker gear will protect a firefighter from loose rounds. In a fire there's way more dangerous things exploding. However, a round in a barrel can cook off and fire as if it were shot normally. I knew the contents of my "fire" safe were toast when there was a bullet hole from the inside from the chambered pistol that was in there.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/l...enice/67-04199cf2-7c08-40eb-91a7-d8244e075bf3

Now I'm not saying the stated reason for evacuation was the popping off of random rounds, what I am asking is.

Do small arm rounds ignited by fire pose any real threat of penetration to someone with a face shield and heavy fireman's coat?
    No, they need the pressure created in the chamber to pose much of a hazard. There is always the possibility of a fluke like getting hit in the eye or burning but as a general rule they don't have much power to them. Mythbusters actually did a segment on that and it couldn't even penetrate the oven glass. They used multiple calibers in their test and all failed to even penetrate the glass

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bunker gear will protect a firefighter from loose rounds. In a fire there's way more dangerous things exploding. However, a round in a barrel can cook off and fire as if it were shot normally. I knew the contents of my "fire" safe were toast when there was a bullet hole from the inside from the chambered pistol that was in there.

/thread.

I recall a firefighter saying he could feel it hitting his gear. Said it was like somebody throwing small rocks at him but not painful.

SAAMI did a safety video on this. You can watch for yourself

[video=youtube;3SlOXowwC4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&t=1159s[/video]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Watching the video, there were propane tanks exploding as well and who knows how much powder. Looked to be a pretty involved fire, Likely would have caused the neighbors to evac anyway.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    A chambered round will shoot if ignited of course, but individual rounds pose very little risk (especially to a fireman in gear).

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    :threadjack: Took my Ferris Z turn in for service. They sell appliances as well. Had a dishwasher door hanging on the wall, with a 9mm hole thru it. The owner was cleaning it.:rockwoot:Go figure!

Top Bottom