What was the first horror movie that really got to you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    For me, it was "Creature From The Black Lagoon". Oh, it didn't scare me when I first saw it. It was a weekend horror movie marathon when I watched it alone, during the day, and I was ok with it. I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time.

Later, I got geared up and went trick-or-treating, then I came home and did the candy trade with my friends and sister (you know, I'll trade you a Milky Way for a pack of Jujubes or whatever). Once the deals were settled, we all went our separate ways, and I eventually went to bed.

That's when the horror set in. It was late, and my bedroom overlooked the murky swimming pool that hadn't been maintained in a while, because it was too late in the year to swim, and it hadn't been covered yet. I could just imagine those wet, clawed, stinking webbed hands appearing on my windowsill. I grabbed my blanket and pillow, and snuck into my parent's room and slept on the floor at the foot of their bed.

A couple weeks later, I bought a glow-in-the-dark model of The Creature, built it, and put it on my dresser. He went from foe to friend.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CFTBL was one.
    Night of the living dead was another.
    Forbidding planet had me hooked as well but not a horror movie.
    I have never been a huge fan of paying to get the :poop: scared out of me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Day of the Triffids. Old film because I'm old, black and white. Comet passes by earth and makes almost everybody blind while it mutates plants so they can move about and kill and eat people. Lots of classic horror tension as the audience can tell the person is in trouble but being blind they cannot tell. I think I was 5 or 6 when I saw it

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Funny story. My wife doesn't like scary movies AT ALL. Never has.

One night, I convinced her to curl up on the couch with me and watch The Blair Witch Project. I had never seen it, and this was years after it came out, and everyone said it was so scary.

Was this seriously intended to be scary? It was so comical to us, and by the end we were both talking about how we wanted all of the protagonists to be dead. They F'ing deserved it.

That's how I feel about most "horror" movies. Gore doesn't entertain me. People getting sliced up because someone likes slicing people up is not scary. Jump scares are fun, but it doesn't make a story, and too many in a story can ruin the film.

I think you have to be very young to take any of these modern movies seriously.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Day of the Triffids. Old film because I'm old, black and white. Comet passes by earth and makes almost everybody blind while it mutates plants so they can move about and kill and eat people. Lots of classic horror tension as the audience can tell the person is in trouble but being blind they cannot tell. I think I was 5 or 6 when I saw it

I saw that. Watched in a few times. It was fun. Bought it for like a dollar on VHS.

It's old sci-fi. Weird stuff. Simple, but fun.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    BTW, I know purple text is sarcasm here, but what is blue text? Did I miss something? Or, BUGI02, is it just your preferred text color?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I was a kid I watched a cable special at a friends house (We didnt have cable) that was an 80s version of the Twilight Zone. One of the stories was about an abusive father who terrorized his kids. One night after dad abused the boy and bulldozed his toys in the sandbox as punishment, the toys (army men, jeeps, etc) came to life and killed the dad. horrifically.

The other favorite was "Dark Night of the Scarecrow". Its about a gentle giant developmentally disabled man that all the rednecks in the community feared and hated. He saved a young girl from a dog attack while they were playing together away from her home in the country. He fought off the dog and carried her to safety, bringing her bloody body home to her mom. Dad freaked when he heard and gathered a posse assuming he harmed the girl. Moments after chasing him down and brutally killing him, Dad gets word via CB that the man they are chasing is a hero; he saved her life by bringing her to safety. They all are shocked, but agree to sweep the mistake under the rug. One by one, the farmers that chased the man down are picked off in various supernatural "accidents". The ending is really cool.

If you have amazon prime, its free to watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Night-S...951&sprefix=night+of+the+scare,aps,187&sr=8-1

Top Bottom