• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is an outrage. Rest in peace Hero
    This is what Democrats will give you if you elect them. He was murdered by an illegal.
    Build the wall and then build it 20 feet higher.
    TRUMP2020

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This case is ugly from a couple angles.

The suspect was in the US, and has been for decades, illegally: https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/mi...r-of-an-hpd-sergeant-is-an-illegal-immigrant/

One of the two officers shot in this incident had responded to a call at the same address involving the same people a day or two earlier.

As I read this article, the police officer who responded to the first incident of the did not confiscate a firearm, but did he take six rounds Manzano (the murder suspect) was carrying in his pocket. The police officer found no firearm (which was apparently later determined to be in a safe), and his report said there was no violation of law, no assault, and no threat. This was the same officer who was wounded in the incident where the sergeant was fatally wounded.

Manzano was arrested in May 2001 for felony assault causing bodily injury to a family member. He completed two years of deferred adjudication and the charge was dismissed. He had other arrests and convictions for assault, for which he was given probation that was subsequently revoked (twice), but it looks like all were misdemeanors.

It appears to me that under Texas state law the police had no legal power to confiscate bullets nor a handgun anyway, barring any other violation. Under state law a convicted felon may legally possess a firearm at the location where he lives after the fifth anniversary of his release from confinement, parole, community supervision, or mandatory supervision.

So, it appears the DA declined charges for the first incident because the police did not bring in any evidence of criminal violation. There would be no reason to retain the individual's property, e.g. bullets (or a firearm if one was found) because there was no criminal violation found.

I have no love for Kim Ogg (Harris County DA and a big lefty), but I don't think we want her filing charges against people if the police don't bring any evidence of a crime.

I haven't seen any reports that the police reported to federal authorities that Manzano might possess a firearm or ammunition, which I think would be a violation under Federal law. Nor for being an illegal.

If only there were laws - and enforcement - to deal with repeat violent offenders and illegal aliens.

Top Bottom