• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This Monkey's boyhood home is still owned and lived in by his lovely mom, who built it with my dad when they got married. (Oh, and patient... the only way she survived me.) Its on a well, and still has the 6' x 3' upright old school steel pressure tank from at least the 70s, if not from 1967 when they built the house.

Ive noticed that although she has had a bad iron staining problem since probably the early 90s shortly after I moved out. But in the last 5 years or so, Ive noticed a new issue. The water has a metallic taste, and now the toilets also have started to collect a grey sediment/staining. When I had to drain the tank to reset/re-pressure it, I noticed that I stirred up a bit of grey sediment as I flushed the lines.

I presume that grey sediment/staining/taste is likely coming from that iron tank? other than some stubs of iron pipe at the tank, its all copper or black plastic. The line from the pump is black plastic, and the lines in the house are copper.

So time to replace the ginormous "antique" tank with one of the small blue bladder tanks? Is that likely the culprit of the black stuff given the evidence above? that the tank is starting to break down inside?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I would guess it is the well pipe itself. As they rust/degrade sediment can build at the bottom of the well. When it pumps some of that gets picked up and moved to your pressure tank. If you do not have a filter before the pressure tank I think that is more likely. When it is the tank itself usually it would just be rust.

Either way a post tank filter would solve your problem more than likely without having to replace it if cost is an issue.

Something like this after the pressure tank.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH40L/100669051

Last edited:

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    While I won't say the problem isn't the pipes or tank, my last well in Hamilton county had enough iron that would precipitate in our entirely plastic system that I installed a spin-down filter followed by a sediment filter. I highly suggest the spin-down filter if you don't want to change filters every couple of weeks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would guess it is the well pipe itself. As they rust/degrade sediment can build at the bottom of the well. When it pumps some of that gets picked up and moved to your pressure tank. If you do not have a filter before the pressure tank I think that is more likely. When it is the tank itself usually it would just be rust.

Either way a post tank filter would solve your problem more than likely without having to replace it if cost is an issue.

Something like this after the pressure tank.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH40L/100669051

Funny. She has that exact one. But Dad removed the filter for some reason before he died, and now no matter what I do, I cant muscle the damn thing apart to get the stuff out of the bottom or add a filter without worrying about destroying it. I dont think he muscled it on. (he didnt have the strength) I think he forgot to lube the seal or something and it seized. I might buy a replacement and just swap out the whole damn thing.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Is there a pressure relief button on the filter cap? It will be next to impossible to get the filter out with the pressure still in it.

Hopefully there is a wrench, most likely plastic, that will fit around the entire filter housing...

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Have you had your water tested? We are on a new well and I did not want a traditional water softener so went with a salt free water "conditioner." Went with this company; https://www.filterwaterdirect.com/ and they do a free water test. They are not real fast with the test but it is free so..... I would think you should be able to find a county health department or similar to do the testing. Jim.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is there a pressure relief button on the filter cap? It will be next to impossible to get the filter out with the pressure still in it.

Hopefully there is a wrench, most likely plastic, that will fit around the entire filter housing...

Yes. Found the button. also tried after draining the system while the pump was off. Wrench likes to slip off. I even tried tapping it with a hammer to encourage it. I wasnt ready to break it and leave her without water so I stopped.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This Monkey's boyhood home is still owned and lived in by his lovely mom, who built it with my dad when they got married. (Oh, and patient... the only way she survived me.) Its on a well, and still has the 6' x 3' upright old school steel pressure tank from at least the 70s, if not from 1967 when they built the house.

Ive noticed that although she has had a bad iron staining problem since probably the early 90s shortly after I moved out. But in the last 5 years or so, Ive noticed a new issue. The water has a metallic taste, and now the toilets also have started to collect a grey sediment/staining. When I had to drain the tank to reset/re-pressure it, I noticed that I stirred up a bit of grey sediment as I flushed the lines.

I presume that grey sediment/staining/taste is likely coming from that iron tank? other than some stubs of iron pipe at the tank, its all copper or black plastic. The line from the pump is black plastic, and the lines in the house are copper.

So time to replace the ginormous "antique" tank with one of the small blue bladder tanks? Is that likely the culprit of the black stuff given the evidence above? that the tank is starting to break down inside?

Does she have a water softener?

If the water softener is old, the resin can break down and start leaving a grey sediment in the toilets.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    does the water heater have braded flex lines on it?

I know where you are going, and I had that personally. Knock on wood the set I replaced them with has been solid going on 5 years now in my home.

But I dont know about you, buy my toilet isnt fed by the water heater, and neither is Mom's. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My friend sometimes the old well pipe/controls and satellite equipment just needs an up grade. I am laying even money a filter is way too little way too late.
    I helped a buddy re-plumb his system a couple of years ago because of similar issues. Everything coming into the house was galv. pipe to steel tanks and frozen fittings.

A Sawzall, copious lengths of sched-40 PVC and select fittings, a new expansion tank and replacing everything we could get to alleviated the problems.
    He had some work done to the well at the same time but I do not remember the exact process but it all cleared up the problem.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My friend sometimes the old well pipe/controls and satellite equipment just needs an up grade. I am laying even money a filter is way too little way too late.
    I helped a buddy re-plumb his system a couple of years ago because of similar issues. Everything coming into the house was galv. pipe to steel tanks and frozen fittings.

A Sawzall, copious lengths of sched-40 PVC and select fittings, a new expansion tank and replacing everything we could get to alleviated the problems.
    He had some work done to the well at the same time but I do not remember the exact process but it all cleared up the problem.

I'm thinking a new tank wouldnt be a bad idea. It may not solve the problem, but could help alleviate another issue: space. Right now there is just no room in the utility room for a softener. If I had a plumber replace the giant pressure tank with a small modern bladder tank up high, there would be room below for a softener. She is considering selling and moving to something more manageable for a lady her age... just having trouble letting go, if you know what I mean. LOTS of memories on that property.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm thinking a new tank wouldnt be a bad idea. It may not solve the problem, but could help alleviate another issue: space. Right now there is just no room in the utility room for a softener. If I had a plumber replace the giant pressure tank with a small modern bladder tank up high, there would be room below for a softener. She is considering selling and moving to something more manageable for a lady her age... just having trouble letting go, if you know what I mean. LOTS of memories on that property.

Oh I full well understand my friend.

Top Bottom