• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have never voted early until today and am glad it's over.

I went to one of Marion County early locations and thought I'd get here early and be out early. HUH.... hey opened at 11am and I got there at 11:35 and i was a nightmare. Go into line because a line walker said it would go fast. 1 hour passes, 2 hour passes and were maybe half way. Now I don' want to stop after spending 2 hours in the cold and damp. After abut 2.5 hours, things slowed down but I remained determined. 3 hours pass and go, thinking it's gotta speed up soon.....4 hours is quickly arriving and we're close to the front door only to realize there is another maze. After finally making it very close, the lady pokes out and says there will be a short delay because they need to clean the machines.....again. After just over 4.5 hours, I get o vote!

While I am waiting to walk in, I see a sign at he entrance to the voting hall; a Biden/Harris sign. Now I think to myself, that is wrong, possibly illegal. The lady comes by to direct me where to go and i ask, should that be here? She replied no so I old her I would care of it and moved it out of sight. Earlier I saw many people holding small yard signs (biden/harris) and walking into he polling place. hey had rows of the same signs within 5 feet of the door. Y'all are pretty relaxed about some things here in Indiana.....

nkCAQYO.jpg

Last edited:

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I voted early last week. There were about 5 people already of me at the doors. Total time less than 20 minutes. Glad I went early! Sorry you had those issues.
    Rick

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have never voted early until today and am glad it's over.

I went to one of Marion County early locations and thought I'd get here early and be out early. HUH.... hey opened at 11am and I got there at 11:35 and i was a nightmare. Go into line because a line walker said it would go fast. 1 hour passes, 2 hour passes and were maybe half way. Now I don' want to stop after spending 2 hours in the cold and damp. After abut 2.5 hours, things slowed down but I remained determined. 3 hours pass and go, thinking it's gotta speed up soon.....4 hours is quickly arriving and we're close to the front door only to realize there is another maze. After finally making it very close, the lady cokes out and says there will be a short delay because they need to clean the machines.....again. After just over 4.5 hours, I get o vote!

While I am waiting to walk in, I see a sign at he entrance to the voting hall; a Biden/Harris sign. Now I think to myself, that is wrong, possibly illegal. The lady comes by to direct me where to go and i ask, should that be here? She replied no so I old her I would care of it and moved it out of sight. Earlier I saw many people holding small yard signs (biden/harris) and walking into he polling place. hey had rows of hte same signs within 5 feet of the door. Y'all are pretty relaxed about some things here in Indiana.....

nkCAQYO.jpg

I'm leaning towards a hard NO on this.

[h=1]Indiana Code Title 3. Elections § 3-14-3-16[/h]
    Sec. 16 . (a) As used in this section, “electioneering” includes expressing support or opposition to any candidate or political party or expressing approval or disapproval of any public question in any manner that could reasonably be expected to convey that support or opposition to another individual.  The term includes wearing or displaying an article of clothing, sign, button, or placard that states the name of any political party or includes the name, picture, photograph, or other likeness of any currently elected federal, state, county, or local official.  The term does not include expressing support or opposition to a candidate or a political party or expressing approval or disapproval of a public question in:
    (1) material mailed to a voter;  or

(2) a telephone or an electronic communication with a voter.

(b) A person who knowingly does any electioneering:

(1) on election day within:
    (A) the polls;  or

(B) the chute;

(2) within an area in the office of the circuit court clerk or a satellite office of the circuit court clerk established under IC 3-11-10-26.3 used by an absentee voter board to permit an individual to cast an absentee ballot;  or

(3) except for a voter who is:
    (A) the person's spouse;

(B) an incapacitated person (as defined in IC 29-3-1-7.5 ) for whom the person has been appointed the guardian (as defined in IC 29-3-1-6 );  or

(C) a member of the person's household;

in the presence of a voter whom the person knows possesses an absentee ballot provided to the voter in accordance with Indiana law;

commits a Class A misdemeanor.

https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-3-elections/in-code-sect-3-14-3-16.html

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And if you're wondering about "the chute":

« Prev
    Next »

Sec. 10 . “Chute” means the area or pathway that extends fifty (50) feet in length, measured from the entrance to the polls.  If the property line of the polling place is less than fifty (50) feet from the door or entrance to the polling place, the chute is measured from the exterior door or entrance to the polling place to one-half ( 1/2 ) the distance to the property line of the polling place nearest to the entrance to the polls.  Whenever there are two (2) or more doors or entrances to the polls, the inspector of the precinct shall designate one (1) door or entrance as the door for voters to enter for the purpose of voting.

https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-3-elections/in-code-sect-3-5-2-10.html

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well...

I hate to say it but this could be legal. It is NOT "election day" folks, so.... there may be a backdoor/loophole for signs anywhere.

Early voting could me the rules don't apply.

I AM NOT SUPPORTING this idea, only observing.

Regards,

Doug

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I voted Saturday at the Lake County court complex and it took like 10 minutes and only because they didn't have any signs saying which of the gazillion entrances to use.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Well...

I hate to say it but this could be legal. It is NOT "election day" folks, so.... there may be a backdoor/loophole for signs anywhere.

Early voting could me the rules don't apply.

I AM NOT SUPPORTING this idea, only observing.

Regards,

Doug

Interesting......

However, this year, will there be an “Election Day”? I see we will have many many voting days, but does the term “Election Day” actually exist in 2020? After all, we will not know who won the election for weeks maybe months?

I think it could be fought and won; this is an open example of illegal electioneering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I went with my Dad and Stepmother to vote yesterday and we decided to try another day. The location somewhat near us had cars lined up for a couple of miles, the parking lots of every building packed and were lining the roads for miles as well. Looking down the road at the site I saw hundreds of people milling about. I hate living in Marion County :(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went with my Dad and Stepmother to vote yesterday and we decided to try another day. The location somewhat near us had cars lined up for a couple of miles, the parking lots of every building packed and were lining the roads for miles as well. Looking down the road at the site I saw hundreds of people milling about. I hate living in Marion County :(

Heard something on the news this morning (WTHR) about Marion County's problems. Hamilton County has ~250K registered voters and 8 early voting sites. Marion County has ~600K registered voters but only 5 early voting sites. The number of sites is decided upon by the county election board. :xmad:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Heard something on the news this morning (WTHR) about Marion County's problems. Hamilton County has ~250K registered voters and 8 early voting sites. Marion County has ~600K registered voters but only 5 early voting sites. The number of sites is decided upon by the county election board. :xmad:

Once inside the building, they had 2 individuals registering people and 2 people accepting completed ballots. If they only have 5 sites, then they have 10 or so registering people (checking ID) for all of Marion County. That is the slowdown.......

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Once inside the building, they had 2 individuals registering people and 2 people accepting completed ballots. If they only have 5 sites, then they have 10 or so registering people (checking ID) for all of Marion County. That is the slowdown.......

I don't think they were prepared for the sheer volume of people that would be voting early, but maybe they should have been.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I 100% believe it's on purpose.

Eh, I don't know. That assumes that the majority of early voters would be Republicans, which may be the case given the way Dems have pushed for the mail in voting. So I suppose it's possible. But people are obviously standing in line to do it anyway, so I don't think it's a good strategy if that's what they're going for.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I voted last week Wednesday at around 9am, walked right in and voted, no wait. a few people followed me in and had to wait maybe 5 minutes. Dubois County has around 42,000 people and we have like 6 early voting locations open at varying times, but only one is open everyday from the start of early voting to election day. The fact that Marion county only has 6 locations is insane.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    With the obviousness that this contentious election would have a huge turnout, I don't know how they wouldn't realize that more people would be needed to man the polls. 2 at a time being able to vote while there are hundreds in line seems to be a blatantly stupid decision. I guess, though, that I should never believe in malicious intent when plain stupidity is probably the answer... ;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think they were prepared for the sheer volume of people that would be voting early, but maybe they should have been.

I 100% believe it's on purpose.

With the obviousness that this contentious election would have a huge turnout, I don't know how they wouldn't realize that more people would be needed to man the polls. 2 at a time being able to vote while there are hundreds in line seems to be a blatantly stupid decision. I guess, though, that I should never believe in malicious intent when plain stupidity is probably the answer... ;)

I agree that it is obviously being done on purpose (also glad I don't live in Marion county -- made a pretty concerted effort over the years to stay out of living in Marion County). It was obvious for a long time that voter turnout was going to be high. It's either on purpose or complete incompetence, neither of which should be acceptable in any way.

Top Bottom