Wow. I don't know what to do with this. Mind blown.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    My youngest still-at-home daughter (19) just gave me an ugly look at what's been going on in the world.

BLUF: I never realized how much different my kids' friend's lives were from my kids' lives.

The story:

Tonight, my daughter had some friends over, and I cooked dinner. A half a ham and potatoes and some rolls. Normal kind of dinner. Great leftovers. Ham and eggs for breakfast, for sure. :)

These kids, about the same age as my daughter, and who also live with their parents, thanked me for dinner, which was nice. After a couple hours, they left.

So I was fishing for some positive feedback about my cooking from my daughter, and she told me how her friends enjoyed it so much because her parents don't cook. That started a whole conversation that I wish I'd never had. Please, don't fault me, I just didn't know.

10 years ago, and more with my older daughters, when my kids wanted to have sleepovers with their friends, their friends always wanted to stay at our house. We're not millionaires, just a middle class family in a middle class neighborhood. Their friends wanted to stay at our house, because my wife and I cooked food. We made meals, we had snacks, some healthy and some not, but the kids would gobble up baby carrots as fast as they would gobble up Oreos. I didn't know they didn't have that at home.

Now I know. My kids didn't want to stay at other kids' houses for sleepovers because they weren't being fed. Their cupboards were literally empty, as in you would open a kitchen cabinet where you expected to find food, and find nothing but an echo.

I wish they had told me, back then. I thought we were all doing the same thing around here, buying nice houses, buying nice dependable cars, taking care of our kids the best we can...

I didn't realize that the latter was less important than the former to them. Damn.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Saw the good bad and ugly driving a school bus. Kids asking me for lunch money or for a snack or peice of candy we kept incase a kid had low blood sugar. I won't goninto the kids that were hungry and the vehicles and stereos thebparents had or they got a 65" tv, ps4 for xmas but the kids were happy to get a school lunch.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I used to work at an elementary school and for a few years we had a wealthy family that would donate money at Christmas time to make sure the poorer kids would get a present. One of the lessons we learned the first year is that you must remove the tags from the gifts because there are kids that have parents that will return a winter coat and let their kid go without in order to get the money for themselves.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    A friend of my daughter's lives in a home that is "rough".
    Her twin died in an accident at 6mos old, her Dad abruptly died of cancer 2yrs ago, she's only 12 and she has a certifiably crazy mother and 3 troublemaking brothers. This girl rarely eats and misses a lot of school.
    My daughter invites her to stay with us often.
    She absolutely loves my cooking. If you compliment my food you get special treatment anyway but this kid breaks my heart. So when she's here I go out of my way to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks and desserts. I let them help in the kitchen and try to teach her things that no one else is. Needless to say, she wants to move in with us lol.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My 18 yr old daughter came home from college this last weekend, and brought her roommate with her. We had grilled pork chops and mashed potatoes on Saturday night, and a big crock of beef stew on Sunday. Her roommate (130 lbs soaking wet) went back for seconds both meals. We didn't have the conversation that you had with your daughter, but I pretty much assumed that it was the same situation. That poor girl hasn't had a good home cooked meal in a while.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    My youngest still-at-home daughter (19) just gave me an ugly look at what's been going on in the world.

BLUF: I never realized how much different my kids' friend's lives were from my kids' lives.

The story:

Tonight, my daughter had some friends over, and I cooked dinner. A half a ham and potatoes and some rolls. Normal kind of dinner. Great leftovers. Ham and eggs for breakfast, for sure. :)

These kids, about the same age as my daughter, and who also live with their parents, thanked me for dinner, which was nice. After a couple hours, they left.

So I was fishing for some positive feedback about my cooking from my daughter, and she told me how her friends enjoyed it so much because her parents don't cook. That started a whole conversation that I wish I'd never had. Please, don't fault me, I just didn't know.

10 years ago, and more with my older daughters, when my kids wanted to have sleepovers with their friends, their friends always wanted to stay at our house. We're not millionaires, just a middle class family in a middle class neighborhood. Their friends wanted to stay at our house, because my wife and I cooked food. We made meals, we had snacks, some healthy and some not, but the kids would gobble up baby carrots as fast as they would gobble up Oreos. I didn't know they didn't have that at home.

Now I know. My kids didn't want to stay at other kids' houses for sleepovers because they weren't being fed. Their cupboards were literally empty, as in you would open a kitchen cabinet where you expected to find food, and find nothing but an echo.

I wish they had told me, back then. I thought we were all doing the same thing around here, buying nice houses, buying nice dependable cars, taking care of our kids the best we can...

I didn't realize that the latter was less important than the former to them. Damn.
    Its the same way here with my 6yr old girls and 13 year old boy. My wife an myself both cook and kids always want to eat here.. thry are fed at home its just its always frozen or take out and here they get hand made food and they for somereason love to eat stuff they knew came out of our garden

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    One of the lessons we learned the first year is that you must remove the tags from the gifts because there are kids that have parents that will return a winter coat and let their kid go without in order to get the money for themselves.

I have a niece who did that with diapers, toys, clothes and food for the newborn. She gave that one up, but popped out a couple more when she found out how lucrative they can be. I have nothing to do with her any more.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have a niece who did that with diapers, toys, clothes and food for the newborn. She gave that one up, but popped out a couple more when she found out how lucrative they can be. I have nothing to do with her any more.
    Thats sad that people would see children as a commodity.. I love my little monkeys.. my 13 year old boy is autistic and admittedly can be a pita butt some times but I wouldn't trade him for anything... his 6 yr old sissy absolutely adores him and doesn't even see him as different. Ive heard other neighbors kids and the adults make fun of him, my neighbor even calls him a ****ing retard but his sissy, mommy and daddy love him.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I read that commiefornia is looking at a bill to give $10,000 cash to anyone of color who has a baby (to make up for inequalities). The money is SUPPOSED to be for child care and development. How many women will see this as a form of INCOME and squirt out a new kid every nine months, and how much of the money would REALLY get used for the babies?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Your neighbor needs his mouth smacked.
    I agree but ill take the high road. I was brought up in a Christian home (not trying to push my beliefs on anyone) but I do believe in God and I do believe him when he says vengeance is his and his alone. At some point karma will catch up to him

HoosierNation33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2020
    Springfield
    I read that commiefornia is looking at a bill to give $10,000 cash to anyone of color who has a baby (to make up for inequalities). The money is SUPPOSED to be for child care and development. How many women will see this as a form of INCOME and squirt out a new kid every nine months, and how much of the money would REALLY get used for the babies?
    Yeah, I'd like to see a source for that. Don't get me wrong... Not a huge California fan. But something that egregious should be sourced.

But on the original topic.... I feel like after shelter the most important thing is food. I don't care if my kid's got name brand sneakers as long as he's eating well everyday.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to work at an elementary school and for a few years we had a wealthy family that would donate money at Christmas time to make sure the poorer kids would get a present. One of the lessons we learned the first year is that you must remove the tags from the gifts because there are kids that have parents that will return a winter coat and let their kid go without in order to get the money for themselves.

Welcome to the reality of the world as we now have it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Maybe y'all should look into that further. :-)

tenor.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, some effed up stuff going on.

A lady at my church... mid 30s. She has a 3YO with a deadbeat loser. Recently I've noticed she is also bringing a 5yo with her to church. I didnt know who he was until last night when the wife told me. (this lady is quiet and doesnt talk to many folks outside her circle. Which when you realize how b****y and cranky she can be, its not a bad thing:):)

She mentioned that the deadbeat babydaddy is now living in her garage. Ok, not that bad I guess. Keeping him around so her son has his dad around. Turns out the 5yo is her son's half brother; HIS mommy is legit cray cray so this lady is raising him because NEITHER of his parents can do it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    SWMBO works at a day care/preschool and did a lesson a while ago on fresh/garden food. These kids who turn up their noses at the packaged food they must eat because of COVID enthusiastically consumed raw vegetables of various kinds from our garden. I don't think they had seen them before.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Yeah, I'd like to see a source for that. Don't get me wrong... Not a huge California fan. But something that egregious should be sourced.

But on the original topic.... I feel like after shelter the most important thing is food. I don't care if my kid's got name brand sneakers as long as he's eating well everyday.
    Definitely. If people believe in christ or not he said something thats true, " the poor will always be with us and we should take care to feed and clothe them " and he gives some VERY dire warnings to those that hurt children because they are his

Top Bottom