• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I use a scroll saw, and thought I was good to go for a hobby other than shooting. Then my dad gave me an OLD Craftsman 3 wheel band saw. Now it seems I cain't live without it. It works fine for what I want to do. It just keeps breaking the blades, and the blades are an odd size compared to what is readily available these days. I have had two custom/cut to length blades made, for ~$50 with s/h.

Anyone got a recommendation on a 10" benchtop bandsaw, or maybe one with a stand? I am considering the WEN 3962 two speed saw.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Generally speaking old stand up band saws are pretty cheap on craigslist. Delta, older craftsman etc use standard blades are well built and parts are available. IMO you will get a lot more saw used than new. I have seen that 3 wheeled craftsman and thought it looks like a well made unit. Ill bet some adjustments will take care of the blade breaking. You can order pretty much any size blade and tooth count from McMaster Carr.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I cannot in good conscience recommend any 10" saw. The small wheels will cause blade breakage just as you are currently experience as the small radius adds stress to the blades. If you can at all make it work in your space I'd highly recommend a "standard" 14 inch saw. The blade size is standard and available everywhere, and everyone makes a compatible saw. If you just cannot make that fit in your shop, check out sawblades.com for custom length blades. They seem to get good reviews and prices are competitive. I've never used them, but have been tempted to do so, and am strongly thinking of trying them the next time I need to replace my blades.

--Rick

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    When I got it a year or so ago, I read up on band saws. I cleaned this one up and figgered out how to adjust things, found the manual online. The motor with the drive pulley attached was out of alignment, so I shimmed it to run better. The blade that was on it broke as I was learning how to use a band saw, and the two I bought came apart at the weld joint.

I can go to a full size floor model, just thought that would be overkill for my use. Kinda like using a 30-06 for coyotes. I will look at 14" models, thanks.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Generally speaking old stand up band saws are pretty cheap on craigslist. Delta, older craftsman etc use standard blades are well built and parts are available. IMO you will get a lot more saw used than new. I have seen that 3 wheeled craftsman and thought it looks like a well made unit. Ill bet some adjustments will take care of the blade breaking. You can order pretty much any size blade and tooth count from McMaster Carr.

+1 here

I browse craigslist almost daily, and there's usually only 3 or 4 days that go by that I don't see one for sale.

Be sure you're taking the spring tension off the blade when you're not using it, and don't over-tension it when you are using it.

There's some pretty good videos I've come across on youtube for dialing in your guides and you may just keep the one you've got if it just needs some tuning up. I just have one of the 10" Delta's on a stand with a roller base, I use it all the time and love it. None of the guides were set up as they should have been when I unboxed it, so don't expect to get a new one and not have to do some tuning.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So you are saying you can only hitchhike in one direction?

:D A friend of mine did it in shop class. But then our shop teacher cut off all the fingers on his right hand teaching us table saw safety so it was kind of expected...they made him vice principal after that.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Band saws have a learning curve. Cut a radius to tight for the blade width will take out a blade real fast. To course a tooth rips the teeth off too fine and push to hard snaps them quick. Take your time and don't push it. Match the FPM to the material and blade.
    The machine you have may be fine it may be the way you are using it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I got it a year or so ago, I read up on band saws. I cleaned this one up and figgered out how to adjust things, found the manual online. The motor with the drive pulley attached was out of alignment, so I shimmed it to run better. The blade that was on it broke as I was learning how to use a band saw, and the two I bought came apart at the weld joint.

I can go to a full size floor model, just thought that would be overkill for my use. Kinda like using a 30-06 for coyotes. I will look at 14" models, thanks.

Failure at the weld is usually due to either not or improperly annealing the area around the weld. Cheap blades will do this more than not. Ask me how I know.
    Look into the Saw Blades .com suggestion as they may actually know how to make a proper blade.
    I started making my own when we acquired a large scroll saw for our shop and it had the annealing device on it for repairing/making blades. The blades we
    had lived a long life when properly welded/annealed. The blade on my saw currently is years old.

We sold off most of the shop early this year and the large scroll saw was one of the pieces so when this blade either wears out or breaks I am back in your boat.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    It is a nice saw. I just have a hard time finding blades for it, and a two wheel is supposedly better than a 3 wheel. Last blade I broke was on 3/8" thick walnut, trying to cut a straight line.

Check the clearance between the blade and guides. The blade should slide through without any resistance but not be too lose it can wander. The next thing make sure both guides have equal clearance and are not pushing on one side of the blade or the other. This needs to be done to the top and bottom guides. The easiest way I found was back all guides off and adjust the top one side at a time set the top then the bottom. Don't try to push a blade with a guide to square it up with the table adjust the table square to the blade.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This is what I make, on a scrollsaw.

20201102-182948.jpg
    20201102-183014.jpg
    20201102-183050.jpg
    20201102-183115.jpg
    20201102-183135.jpg

The last two photos are one block. I have been using the bandsaw to cut the blanks to size, and the boards to rough size.

The blade measures out at 56", 1/4" wide. Lots of teeth, don't know the count. Timber Wolf and Sawblade both say they will make them for me, for less then I paid before.

Thanks for the help, all y'all!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To be a contrarian, I have a Craftsman 10", and it's good enough for most everything I want to do. And when not in use, it hides under a workbench.

Never had a band break on me.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Ordered two blades from sawblade.com on Monday, received them today. Grand total of $31, shipped. That is better than what I got before, in price and time. Put one on today, and it cuts nice so far.

Thanks for the advice and help, y'all! :ingo:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom