• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I just received notification from AAA that my membership is up for renewal and the price has gone up. I have had the coverage for years, but have only had to use it a couple times. So is it worth it, or are there better options?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Most auto insurances also have roadside assistance... Cell phone plans USED to have it - not sure if they do or not. Wouldn't surprise me if Sam's Club and/or Costco memberships also don't have roadside assistance... IMO, having AAA is about redundant in that regard.

And with as many different hotel and car rental booking websites are available now, I don't know how relevant the AAA discount is in that regard, either. I've not checked any rate differentials between standard vs. AAA rates, so I can't know for sure. But IF you're planning a trip within the next year, it may be wise to look at a few potential sites to determine if an AAA discount, if offered, would be more or less than the $ spent on the annual membership.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’ve had roadside through both AT&T and progressive. Neither were able to help when needed due to very short tow limits or inability to secure their 3rd party service providers. Multiple occasions, I’ve used my Dad’s AAA when my roadside providers have failed.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I just received notification from AAA that my membership is up for renewal and the price has gone up. I have had the coverage for years, but have only had to use it a couple times. So is it worth it, or are there better options?
    Its worth it probably if you have vehicles that are older and likely to break down.. I have it and it paid for its self just in what the tow would have cost

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Frank, I paid $55 dollars last year for three people, wife uses mine, and my two daughters, I cancelled just prior to the renewal, after two months, they contacted me for an exclusive renewal, same as before three people but price was only $40 for a year, last year $55 covered one Castleton SQ Mall to Belle Tire tow, (about a whole mile).
    Peace of mind for the wife and two daughters for the year is nice.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I like to break this question down differently and make it more about the questioner. Ask yourself these kinds of questions. And will AAA actually come through?

What would you do at 10:30 pm on Saturday night if your tire blew out on 465? In rural GA on the way to Florida? What can you do? If you had to shell out a grand to bail out a bad situation AAA would help with, how easily could you? Can you fix anything on a car?

The bottom line is you are insuring against risk, only you can quantify the risk and if the cost of AAA is worth it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Frank, I paid $55 dollars last year for three people, wife uses mine, and my two daughters, I cancelled just prior to the renewal, after two months, they contacted me for an exclusive renewal, same as before three people but price was only $40 for a year, last year $55 covered one Castleton SQ Mall to Belle Tire tow, (about a whole mile).
    Peace of mind for the wife and two daughters for the year is nice.

This, it's cheap peace of mind for your loved ones.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Have AAA+ for years. Plus has 3xyear 100 mile towing along with the other things. Back in my drag racing days it got my Mustang home from Bowling Green Ky. twice , Hardinsburg Ky. once as well as Owensboro. Used them for other calamities also. They have never failed to deliver. :rockwoot:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    One thing I find most folks do not know about tow plans, I have never seen one that covers a trailer. Camper, boat, car hauler, none of them. If your truck breaks down, they leave your trailer on the side of the road and tow your truck.

There are options available...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you travel, DEFINITELY get the +. My boss broke down while we were headed south on 65 near Austin. They towed us all the way back to Indy where her regular shop could handle it, and we could get a ride from a coworker. With regular we would have to go to a small town shop and have somebody drive down to get us, or pay the extra. What really gets you is the distance. Most of the plans everybody else offers only will take you to the nearest facility.

And dont trust the cheap cell phone ones. I had that 15 years ago. broke down in my boss' truck on 465 at 4PM on a Thursday. It wasnt anything big. It was just a flat and the jack broke while I was trying to jack it up. So I didnt need anything crazy like a heavy haul or flatbed. After waiting 90 minutes I was told they didnt have anybody in the area that could help. I ended up demanding a refund from the start of the plan and surprisingly enough, they credited my account. I realized 15 minutes before I got the "screw you" call that he still had Dodge's roadside. They were there in 30 minute and I was on the road again 15 minutes later.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've used AAA several times in the past 15 years or so and they have always been fast, reliable and helpful when I needed them.

What made me a customer for life was when I locked my keys in my running car on a Friday night in Cinncinati about 5 minutes before I was supposed to walk into a concert. They had a guy there within about 10 minutes of me calling and popped the lock in about 60 seconds. I made it into the show in time to catch the end of the first song.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You'll get a renewal deal if you wait a bit. I let mine expire then got a deal on AAA Plus just before a recent trip to Florida (flew down, drove back, VERY expensive one-way rental). I was able to add my kid onto my account for only $5. Using AAA, I got a discount on the Hertz rental in FL + added the 2nd driver for free.

I travel a lot for work so AAA is worth it to me.
    I also used it a lot when racing. Gotta get that broken car home somehow.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I bought it for my son when he was driving from Lafayette to Evansville for school. He actually never used it for his car, but did several times for friends at school that had run out of gas, dead battery, flat tires.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    AAA is it Worth It? IMO MAYBE
    Location, Useless to me where I live, No AAA Contract Wrecker Service. They will Reimburse but Never seem to Cover the total Tow Amount. Our Insurance & my MC membership cover me but similar problems. AAA is worth it IF they are Available & you do Not have a 2 to 4 hour Wait. When Working would use the Contract Tow if NOT out of their service area. AAA has gotten Expensive and you are Limited to # of Service calls. Some years might use it once or twice, other years Never used it at all.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

AMAC (or AARP depending on your political persuasion) both sell roadside assistance policies that exceed the limits of AAA for the same or less money.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    AA is definitely worth it! Damn drones...
    WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.php
    WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_quad_sketch.jpg

Oh, wait.
    Never mind...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My mother and I were just talking about this Saturday. Her at 92 remembers having AAA when we would travel. She would get the TripTiks.

She asked me if I have it.

Knock on wood, in the 30+ years of traveling, I have had a couple of flats which I changed myself and my truck this summer died about 2 miles from the repair shop where I had it towed. And my wife's car lost an alternator once near our home. We did have to get it towed. That's it. But I have also been lucky to have company cars most of my working life and they were always well maintained.

I have never had AAA and am a little surprised at how many just on this little forum has it.

I don't travel like Big Tanker, but I have about 1.5 million miles on the road to date so it's not like I'm a total homebody.:)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Its worth it probably if you have vehicles that are older and likely to break down.. I have it and it paid for its self just in what the tow would have cost

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Have AAA+ for years. Plus has 3xyear 100 mile towing along with the other things. Back in my drag racing days it got my Mustang home from Bowling Green Ky. twice , Hardinsburg Ky. once as well as Owensboro. Used them for other calamities also. They have never failed to deliver. :rockwoot:

I have it. Mainly because I have 2 kids in college driving older vehicles (one is out of state), and have both of them covered along with myself and wife. I have the + with the 100 mile towing I believe (the base towing is very low mileage). This allows me to have it towed to the place of my choice which is a good thing. It has been well worth it for my case. It's not super cheap, but the service has been outstanding when I have needed it.

Top Bottom