• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Got a 2019 Tacoma. Need 2 chipped keys programmed. Finding a locksmith is tough for some reason. Anyone got suggestions for the West side?
    Bobs Lock is always good and fair, you’d have to ask if they can do chipped keys, but they recently worked really hard and fixed an $80 pistol box for me and only charged $20. They’re on the southside, may travel west.

Not sure what the protocol is here for slamming a business, but there’s one downtown that should be avoided, after berating my teenager and hanging up on her when she called to ask if they could do what you’re asking. They used to be good when it was a couple of brothers running it, but after selling the business (along with the name), their customer service went to sh**, and we used to do a fair amount of business with them.

if you have AAA, its a whole lot cheaper to get those made, especially when you lose the key to your wife’s car while on a ride at at Kings Island!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah, I don’t know about the chips (besides going to the dealer), but Bobs is the best around. Been there for probably around 40 years or more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not up on the newer cars or the rice burners. My older Ford's can program the keys in the vehicle. Sure there isn't a way to do this in the truck? Searched yer YouTube?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Modern vehicles must all be coded with specialized equipment and it is a one time thing. The excuse is security, the reality is a PITA for owners and no impact on theft. Most dealerships don't have the equipment or refuse to code keys. They order them precoded for a stupid price tag. If you find a place to do it, do let us know as it is good info.

I have looked into this for the wife's vehicle, uncoded keys can be had for less than $30 but finding a place to code it is nearly impossible as is figuring out exactly what equipment is needed. Dealership would sell me one for $500.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    After reading this thread that 1965 F100 with a 3-speed on the column is looking better all the time. If somebody stole it, probably a Boomer. A few Gen-Xers wouldn't be stumped by the three on the tree...

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Some Ace hardwares can do it. I had them make me a copy of my Ford's chipped key. They cut the new key inside then go out to the parking lot with a programmer which they plug into your car to mate the new key to the vehicle. Takes about 20 minutes and I believe it only cost $80 for the new key and the programming. It was cheaper than the Ford dealer.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Some Ace hardwares can do it. I had them make me a copy of my Ford's chipped key. They cut the new key inside then go out to the parking lot with a programmer which they plug into your car to mate the new key to the vehicle. Takes about 20 minutes and I believe it only cost $80 for the new key and the programming. It was cheaper than the Ford dealer.

The Brownsburg Ace can do it. They cut a spare for me. But they cannot do the remote. Called Bob’s ... they can, but won’t have a key for 2 weeks.

I always hide a key zip tied to the frame in case I lose my key while out.

Top Bottom