• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm in need of a round bale feeder for our horses. I know nothing about this other than what the bales look like and was hoping for some advice from those with experience. We've got three horses, 2 pastures and a mud lot. I'm hoping to find something I can move between the pastures as we rotate to prevent the mud lot from being completely destroyed. Other than that I'm clueless as to what works and doesn't. Any useful advice is appreciated. The horses are fed square bale hay in the barn a couple times a day, we just want to give them something to chew on while they're outside to help them stay warm.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Despite what horsie people tell you (a-posed to horse people) they don’t need the best and brightest green pure alfalfa. Grass or alfalfa Mix hay stored inside, make sure it doesn’t smell/have mold, second cutting or later preferred it’s not as stemy, will be a finer and a dark green. Best to avoid long stems and foxtail, they’ll waste the longer stems and I hear the foxtail leafs are sharp and cut the mouth. No clue just what I’ve heard.
    I sell all my second cut grass/alfalfa to a friend for his horses, 4x4 net wrapped he gets it right out of the field. He uses a horse style round feeder and very important limit feeds them, puts the feeder in a small corral and lets them in 2x day for a few hours, supplements them with grain as needed.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Keep in mind most horses will waste a lot of hay with a round bale feeder. You can buy netting for this or used old tennis court nets.. cheap and durable. Most round bale feeders accomplish the same thing. You also can buy the huts that keep the hay dry and those have windows that the horses feed through Hope this helps. Tim

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Food for thought, most hay made into round bales is destined for cattle, most hay made into small squares is destined for horses. Cattle are perfectly fine eating things that will kill a horse or so I’ve been told.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Food for thought, most hay made into round bales is destined for cattle, most hay made into small squares is destined for horses. Cattle are perfectly fine eating things that will kill a horse or so I’ve been told.

We're planning to be very selective when the time comes to buy round bales. We're fortunate to have a neighbor who has been involved with the AQHA at the national level and she's been a great help.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And if you make a trip up to Weldys, lunch/dinner is on me. I can almost see it from house.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

I might take you up on that. I wish I could find some pricing on their website, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We're planning to be very selective when the time comes to buy round bales. We're fortunate to have a neighbor who has been involved with the AQHA at the national level and she's been a great help.

That is helpful. My mother had forgotten more about equine care than I ever knew before she passed.
    Having a knowledgeable friend should save you from a lot of heartache although you'll still spend a ton of money.:):

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    We do both round and square off the same hay field. The horses needs really determines how much and type of hay. Not trying to start an argument but the horse lived off wild grasses a long time before growers made “horse” hay. Just buy as good quality as you can.. there are so many types and some is too “rich” for some horses. Like feeding straight alfalfa to most horses.. not advisable. Talk to your vet or even the a reputable feed store. You know what type of horse you have and what you do with it.. I don’t know your experience with horses and not trying to say I do know it all. Just trying to help
    We’re a horse rescue and some we get in are pretty rough/sick and or starved. So us having decent hay is important and just grass hay does well. I planted a good pasture mix on our field and it tolerates grazing well and makes decent hay. Would love to hear about your horses Tim

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Just want to second what wagu52 and tmschuller said, and emphasize that most people at least around us are round baling cow hay specifically for convenience, or intended to small square but first cutting got too rank or rained on. You will have to shop pretty hard IMO to get quality and consistency from round bale to round bale and buy what you need all at once and store it, or make a deal with the seller to hold what you want.
    Foxtail will cut many horses up but not all.
    Horses have the potential to waste a tremendous amount of hay outside.
    TSC or RK should have all the hay rings in that you would need, cheap.
    I don't have horses now but know most of this from watching my son develop his hay business. Every horse person's definition of "good hay" is different. He's had a lot of people pass up good hay because it has clover in it which turns black.

Top Bottom