• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Has the corona-virus changed your opinion of the flu shot? Do you think it's more important to get the flu shot this year? Or is it, Meh?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I chose not to get one this year. I have to wear a mask all day at work, so I'm more protected than any year. Plus, every year I did get one (mainly out of curiosity for pregnant ladies at work, no one drank the water this year), they would inevitably come out and say it didn't cover the strand hitting people.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I happened to be at the doctor, they offered it, I got it. I've never had a flu shot before. I don't know if current events influenced my decision, but I'm still neither here, nor there about the flu vaccine. I doubt I would have gone out of my way to get it.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Meh. I do not usually get a shot. I can not remember the last time I had the flu. I would ponder if the behavior that keeps me out of the flu bed also keeps me out of the chinese bed. I avoid snifflers and hackers. I avoid little kids that would climb on me. Realatives are OK. I wash my hands and keep my fingers out of my mouth. I don't go where the crowds are.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I've never had a flu shot and never had the flu.. my doctor has said may just have a natural immunity to it, im in the house with my wife and kids and they have all had A&B a few times but ive never contracted it so at this point I don't see any reason to get it... as for covid.. I won't get immunized for it either.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    People who received flu vaccinations in the year before testing positive for the novel coronovirus were nearly 2½ times less likely to be hospitalized for COVID-19 and more than three times less likely to be admitted to a hospital intensive care unit, according to a University of Florida study published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/10/...suggests-flu-shots-help-people-with-covid-19/

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    People who received flu vaccinations in the year before testing positive for the novel coronovirus were nearly 2½ times less likely to be hospitalized for COVID-19 and more than three times less likely to be admitted to a hospital intensive care unit, according to a University of Florida study published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/10/...suggests-flu-shots-help-people-with-covid-19/

I believe that is up for debate and other studies show the opposite.

it will be a mild flu season due to the changed society. Southern Hemishphere basically skipped flu this year

regardless of society trends, studies show flu shot does not reduce hospitalization and does not reduce missed work. about 70 healthy adults need to get the shot to prevent one from getting the flu. numbers are better in kids and elderly

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    With antilock brakes, why do you need a seat belt?
    I fully agree.

except the part where others hit you. It's not like someone would come remove your mask and cough in your mouth. :dunno:

I didn't know seat belts assisted in braking either.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Flu season had been cancelled this year. At least in Georgia...

Week 45 (November 1 — November 7, 2020)
    Georgia Weekly
    Influenza Report
    Snapshot of Influenza Activity During Week 45:
    • Outpatient Illness Surveillance (ILINet): The proportion of outpatient visits for
    ILI was 2.0%, which is BELOW the regional baseline of 3.1%
    • Activity Indicator Map: MINIMAL
    • Influenza-associated Deaths: 0 deaths
    • Metro Area Hospitalizations: 0 hospitalizations
    • Influenza Outbreaks: 0 outbreaks
    • Viral Surveillance: The percent of specimens testing positive for influenza by clinical laboratories was 0.8%
    Week 45
    Cumulative Data since
    September 27, 2020
    (Week 40)*
    No. of Influenzaassociated Deaths
    0 0
    No. of Metro Area Influenza Hospitalizations
    0 0
    No. of Influenza Outbreaks
    0 0

Though I bet these numbers are not that uncommon.:rolleyes:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It is a condition of my employment. I work for a large health network. I have to go to employee health and get the shot, it then goes in my file that I was a good sheep and took the shot.
    They do give a deadline in Nov. No shot, then you no longer work here.
    If you don't take the shot an email gets sent to those in leadership roles above you.
    So yes I have gotten one every year since 2009, that is when it became mandatory.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got used to getting the flu shot while the wife was fighting cancer, so I got it again this year. I figured if it lessens my chance by 10% fine, I will take it.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I got used to getting the flu shot while the wife was fighting cancer, so I got it again this year. I figured if it lessens my chance by 10% fine, I will take it.

That was when I got the shot last. I did not want to give it to my wife. I would guess that her time with all of that is what shaped my responses to those around me.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Get it every year. Due to the wife’s and my age, we’ve been getting the high dose version (fluzone) for the last several years. No issues other than occasional arm muscle soreness some years and no flu disease for as far back as I can remember. Work used to provide the shots for free there and now Medicare covers them at any local pharmacy (usually use Kroger or CVS).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’ve been getting it the last 3 years. Still got sick, but I don’t think I have ever gotten the flu, even before I started getting the flu shot.
    Last year, I did have a bad cold, and to top it off I got the Hand Foot Mouth disease, which sucked.

I really don’t know if I want to get a flu shot this year.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I haven't had a flu shot since the early 1970's when our high school swim team coach made us get one every year.
    In the years since, I've been sick a few times, but nothing life threatening.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No flu shots here. Nothing against them but I have had one cold in the past 4 years and the flu once in my 37 years of marriage, knock on wood.

My 92 year old mom beat Pneumonia twice and Covid once in the last two years. She gets the shot.

I figure, probably incorrectly, that if I catch something, fighting it with whatever is already in my body will make me stronger in the end. And yes, I know Nietzsche was supposedly a lunatic.:)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No flu shots here. Nothing against them but I have had one cold in the past 4 years and the flu once in my 37 years of marriage, knock on wood.

My 92 year old mom beat Pneumonia twice and Covid once in the last two years. She gets the shot.

I figure, probably incorrectly, that if I catch something, fighting it with whatever is already in my body will make me stronger in the end. And yes, I know Nietzsche was supposedly a lunatic.:)

: Doing his best jamil imitation:

You know, Nietzsche could be a lunatic and still be right

Two things can be true at the same time
    :stickpoke: :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I fully agree.

except the part where others hit you. It's not like someone would come remove your mask and cough in your mouth. :dunno:

I didn't know seat belts assisted in braking either.

Brakes stop the car and you, but sometimes at different rates. Seatbelts try to minimize the rate difference by acting as a body brake

Top Bottom