• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I got the drop on Doug! :):

Here's what's cooking in my house: a fight.

The wife sent me a text claiming her employer is now trying to tell her who she can associate with.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure we are cooking anything this year.

We go to my in-laws this weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving, just 4 of us.

Then we are either going to my daughters next Thursday/Friday or Saturday/Sunday. If we go Thursday/Friday, she will cook. If we go Saturday/Sunday, my wife and I will make a standard meal on Thursday.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not doing anything for Thanksgiving this year. DoggyMama is in Florida helping her dad while her mom is in physical rehab after a neck surgery and possible stroke. Not sure if she'll be home before Thanksgiving or not.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The wife sent me a text claiming her employer is now trying to tell her who she can associate with.

I got a little more information: My wife volunteered information :rolleyes: that my brother's family is coming to my house.

"Oh, isn't he a doctor? Well, in that case you can't come to work for two weeks. Doesn't matter if he has no symptoms or test negative."

AFAIK, that's completely outside of any legal standing.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I’m m loading up my grill and hauling it in to work on Wednesday and will be smoking a turkey for the shop. Probably throw on a pan of mushrooms and onions in garlic butter as well. Turning around and doing it all over again the next day for my family.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got a little more information: My wife volunteered information :rolleyes: that my brother's family is coming to my house.

"Oh, isn't he a doctor? Well, in that case you can't come to work for two weeks. Doesn't matter if he has no symptoms or test negative."

AFAIK, that's completely outside of any legal standing.

That does sound like :bs:. Did you tell her to stop talking to people at work??

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I got the drop on Doug! :):

Here's what's cooking in my house: a fight.

My wife's employer has done the same thing.

My advice was the same as DoggyDaddy's, stop talking to people at work. Hint, if you're not getting paid, it's none of their business!!!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Turkey and all the traditional stuff (dressing, mashed/gravy, yams, green bean casserole, cranberries, pumpkin pie). As always it will just be me and my mom, who is 87 now.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Smoking a whole packer brisket. May sous vide a turkey breast just to keep up with tradition, but it will be a small gathering this year.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm smoking a turkey for the first time. I will probably splurge and eat some sweet potatoes (no marshmallows) and may go crazy and have a reasonable piece of pumpkin pie. Ironically, the whipped cream is a lot healthier than the pie.

..and we will be ignoring some recommendations as my daughter will be home from college and not distancing and my son will be down from Grand Rapids.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Regardless of the outcome of our tête a tête, I'm doing another spatchcocked turkey... I actually really like turkey, so long as it's cooked right (which is uncommon).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm smoking a turkey for the first time. I will probably splurge and eat some sweet potatoes (no marshmallows) and may go crazy and have a reasonable piece of pumpkin pie. Ironically, the whipped cream is a lot healthier than the pie.

..and we will be ignoring some recommendations as my daughter will be home from college and not distancing and my son will be down from Grand Rapids.

I bet that smoked turkey will be good. We have gone from marshmallows to adding nuts, butter and some brown sugar. Still gives it the sweet taste but you can adjust it much easier than marshmallows. And I am a fan of the whipped cream also. I make my own. I like a little pie with my whipped cream as they say.

Regardless of the outcome of our tête a tête, I'm doing another spatchcocked turkey... I actually really like turkey, so long as it's cooked right (which is uncommon).

I've heard that spatchcocked turkeys are really good. Since it sounds like you are a veteran, what do you think of them?

My In-laws turkey will be overcooked and dry. If it has juices, they don't think it's cooked enough. But it will still be fun.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My In-laws turkey will be overcooked and dry. If it has juices, they don't think it's cooked enough. But it will still be fun.

My mom insists on cooking turkey "low and slow" on 200 for 37 hours (OK exaggerating) until it is soft and falling apart and there are bones in the dressing. The real treat to this method is the soft, flabby skin. I'm going to try to hit a happy medium for us this time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I usually smoke a turkey and it's always nice and juicy and people rave about it. As for sweet potatoes, I've never been a big fan of the marshmallow thing. I usually make a sweet potato pie though. I line the bottom of the crust with chopped praline pecans and then put a ring of pecan halves (not praline pecans) around the outer edge of the pie. :drool: And yes, whipped cream (I just use the canned stuff - not a fan of Cool Whip).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I usually smoke a turkey and it's always nice and juicy and people rave about it. As for sweet potatoes, I've never been a big fan of the marshmallow thing. I usually make a sweet potato pie though. I line the bottom of the crust with chopped praline pecans and then put a ring of pecan halves (not praline pecans) around the outer edge of the pie. :drool: And yes, whipped cream (I just use the canned stuff - not a fan of Cool Whip).

DD, the canned stuff is pretty good, but have you ever tried making your own? It's not hard and it is really good! And you can adjust the sweetness to your palate.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    . As for sweet potatoes, I've never been a big fan of the marshmallow thing. I usually make a sweet potato pie though. .
    I don't get the marshmallow thing either. I just mash them and add butter and a bit of brown sugar. I'm with you on the Reddi Whip instead of Cool Whip. Even better, home made whipped cream, but it's a PITA.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've heard that spatchcocked turkeys are really good. Since it sounds like you are a veteran, what do you think of them?

1. All the skin is exposed on top, so it's crisper.
    2. more surface area == faster, more even heat transfer.
    3. It's sounds naughty when you say "spatchcock".
    It's faster, it's moister, it taste better, but it looks a obscene all splayed out like that, but so what? Cut it up in the kitchen.

I do a three or four day dry rub, then start at 450, finish at 325 (convection oven). Cook breast to 150F, thighs will be about 165F.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11...-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

Top Bottom