• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    I am looking at getting a good affordable smartwatch to wear. I don’t need the most sophisticated bells and whistles version....just one that I can do some basic functions on, easily read, have fun with, not get scratched easily, and rely on. Anyone have any recommendations? I have an Android phone for what it’s worth.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Talk to your carrier, they will bend over backwards to get you into the latest, greatest, at a decent price. Most will even carry the paper!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been quite happy with my Galaxy Watch. No way I would pay the kind of money they are asking for them new though. Just like my recent years phone purchases, I shop the secondary market for used and or recertified devices. A year or two old, with a little usage wear suits me fine vs 2-3-4 times the price.

Like in a lot of other areas, you'll find that buying a former or current top seller nets you a lot of online information, aftermarket accessories and greater selection of apps.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a Fitbit versa 3 the girlfriend has a versa 2
    We like em. Does everything I'm interested in.
    You didn't really say what features you're looking for.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I am looking at getting a good affordable smartwatch to wear. I don’t need the most sophisticated bells and whistles version....just one that I can do some basic functions on, easily read, have fun with, not get scratched easily, and rely on. Anyone have any recommendations? I have an Android phone for what it’s worth.

I don't know what is best currently, but I'd recommend avoiding Fossil smartwatches. I've had one of their models just over a year and had the back come off 2x now. The first time was replaced under warranty. This time, the on-line service request page says cases and backs aren't covered and I'll have to pay for the repair, even though it is within the 2 year warranty period. I haven't sent it in as I'm just not sure I want to put any $$ into the watch when it has had the same failure mode 2x.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have an active2 galaxy by Samsung. it works with Droid and Apple. I use it to tell time and see my text messages without looking at my phone. I'm sure it does more but that's all I use it for. waterproof too

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

After owning a Garmin Fenix 5x for a couple months, I'm super impressed. I just ordered one of these Vivoactive 3 watches for my son and I think it'll do most of what I do with the more expensive Fenix. The best thing about these Garmins is the battery life. If I turn my Fenix off at night I can get 9 or 10 days out of it. They have very high quality construction, too. Nothing cheap about these watches.

I wish I'd waited for this deal. I did get a good price for a Fenix 5x, though. I paid $389 on clearance at BestBuy. I've seen BF deals as low as $369. It has GPS and mapping, which is why they are expensive. I haven't used that yet, though. So the Vivoactive would have done the trick.

They aren't as bright as typical smartwatches, but they have real glass and are VERY easy to read in bright sunlight. They don't feel as cheap.

Only $129 is a great deal!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have an active2 galaxy by Samsung. it works with Droid and Apple. I use it to tell time and see my text messages without looking at my phone. I'm sure it does more but that's all I use it for. waterproof too

I justified the cost of the Galaxy Watch by commiting myself to use the Samsung Health tracking and such. I vary how much I pay detailed attention to activity levels, stretches and workouts, but I like to run a watch face that meters my step count level. I find that I can trim or maintain weight as long as 10,000 steps per day get recorded.

Last edited:

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have an IPhone and my Apple Watch died. On Swappa I found a 46mm galaxy watch for $100 in great shape. I love it way more than the Apple Watch, even on an IPhone. After a full day, my battery is still over 80%. If you are down with a used watch, I think this would do everything you would want. The way the bezel is made, the bezel is raised above the glass protect it quite a bit.

Top Bottom