Something your accounting department needs to see.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Heads up if you arent familiar with this scam. Its worth passing on to your accounting team at work.

These fake invoices are making the rounds. I caught this one as the check was being signed. Ive seen at least 3 so far this year.

Here is how it works. This company runs a business directory. But the thing is, NOBODY uses it. Its worthless.
    They send out invoices like this that look legit. Many times people mistake this for their web hosting fees, domain registration, or something else legit. That is what they depend on.

If you fall for the scam and pay the fee, they add your company to their directory. (did I mention that nobody uses their website so you will get no value out of the listing?)
    And since they are technically providing a service, what they are doing is not illegal. They prey on overworked accounting folks that aren't paying attention and accidentally pay it with all of the rest of the company's bills.

What is sad, is you can go to their website and effectively see a list of everyone who has fallen for the scam. A LOT of people have.
    Good luck.

InkedIMG_1416_LI.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good head's up.

About 15 years ago when I took over my former firm's library (which was extensive), I was able to cut about $100,000 out (yearly) by simply cancelling things that people kept paying year after year even though no one could remember ordering them in the first place.

Ah, paper libraries...how quaint.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've gotten a handful of similar scams at work and at home for the past year or two. Lots of things about Amazon or Google Store purchases, that I didn't make, that are phising attempts.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I've only seen ONE of these that has teeny tiny 4 point type at the bottom disclosing that there is no prior relationship and by paying you are agreeing to start a new relationship with them. Even though at the top it says "renewal" Implying a prior relationship/contract. They at least kinda sorta tried to give an out.

People report them to the BBB (of which they are not members, go figure.) and they respond to the complaint with "you are unsubscribed from our list" and the BBB lets them off the hook.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I get the labor law posters mailings from personal concepts, ontario, ca regularly.
    Looks "official"... it's bull****.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/ontario/p...nel-concepts-limited-1066-51000493/complaints

There are a couple sources, including the IN Chamber, which are trustworthy and will automatically send updates only when needed.

Oh, and I've only seen ONE of these that has teeny tiny 4 point type at the bottom disclosing that there is no prior relationship and by paying you are agreeing to start a new relationship with them. Even though at the top it says "renewal" Implying a prior relationship/contract. They at least kinda sorta tried to give an out.

We receive both versions regularly. This is why I keep stressing to folks the importance of correspondence running through ONE person's hands. Starting to see a lot of fake invoices via email allegedly from dropbox, fedex, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The invoices via dropbox and not attached to the email are a different animal. Those remote documents are likely hostile and contain malware to damage your PC or allow an attacker to take it over and have his way with it. They dont attach a document because they are trying to avoid your spam filters and virus scanners of your email servers.

My favorite is invoice.doc.exe. In a default windows config, file extensions are hidden, so at first glance you'd see invoice.doc and think its a document. But you double click it and it executes a program and kablooey.

And they like to hide those in zip files, sometimes password protected so they can avoid filters and scanners. I had to outright block zip files from my mail server because of too many people falling for those hostile attachments.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Ah, yes. Years ago, used to see this one plus any number of similar scams on a weekly basis. Hated dealing with the office supply "dealers" who preyed on unsuspecting employees who authorized things like copier toner at $300/cartridge. Don't miss those days. At all.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Ah, yes. Years ago, used to see this one plus any number of similar scams on a weekly basis. Hated dealing with the office supply "dealers" who preyed on unsuspecting employees who authorized things like copier toner at $300/cartridge. Don't miss those days. At all.

I forgot about those. I started with my company as an office peon in 1990. Yeah, we would get a call and it would be "Hey, this is Frank in the warehouse, can you confirm the copier model for the toner we have ready to go". Of course we had no Frank let alone a warehouse.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    These scams aren't new. I've seen something similar come to my small business for over a dozen years.

Makes you wonder how many of these slip through the cracks at various random businesses?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Good head's up.

About 15 years ago when I took over my former firm's library (which was extensive), I was able to cut about $100,000 out (yearly) by simply cancelling things that people kept paying year after year even though no one could remember ordering them in the first place.

Ah, paper libraries...how quaint.
    I had a similar experience in a prior job. I looked at the books, and asked about a lot of expenses. None of the old timers knew, or would at least admit to knowing, what certain bills were for, who signed us up for them, or how long they'd been paying them for.

Top Bottom