20201130-161719.jpg

That is all.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yep, I saw (pun?) much worse on a job site a few years ago.
    Dude cut through his fingers with a 12” miter saw. Flung blood up the wall to the ceiling.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Saw a guy cut the tips off his middle, ring, and pinkie fingers on a table saw. He was working fast, sliding pieces against a stop and running them through. Blade musta been really sharp. He cut two more pieces before he noticed what had happened.:n00b:

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    There is a saying, its SPEED KILLS, I have walked away from a guy who thought going fast was good idea,just scary seeing a guy do that.I will leave a job if the guy says you gotta run to get job done, just a damn idiot . I lost the tip of my finger from table saw, NOT using a push stik , I unfortunately found out the hard way.The other thing is to use a SHARP saw blade.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    20201130-161719.jpg

That is all.

36 years a carpenter, 3 TS injuries, 2 kick backs, (one because I was standing across the room when another worker got in a bind and let go of the work) 1 from not having propper off support and sticking my finger in the blade.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Wife works at a hand surgery center. Anytime I'm using a saw she reminds me the hand center is closed on weekends :) She's seen some pretty gnarly stuff come through the doors.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I worked with an old carpenter once that was missing a thumb, he "said" he had had it sewn back on twice, but the third time he decided it was in the way.

Another was giving a TS safety class and afterward walking around the shop saw blood on the floor. After yelling at the crew he realized he was bleeding. He had cut himself while giving the class.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wife works at a hand surgery center. Anytime I'm using a saw she reminds me the hand center is closed on weekends :) She's seen some pretty gnarly stuff come through the doors.

At least saws tend to cut. Worst woodshop injuries I saw came from routers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Working with my boss years and years ago.
    Open belt drive ammonia refrigeration compressor. 10 HP 2 belt drive no cover.
    He got caught up in the belts and cut off all of his fingers in 2 pieces each. Right after lecturing me on being careful around open belt drives. I was 19 or so.
    Scared the hell out of me. Guess who got to pick up the finger pieces.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You need a sawstop table saw.

We have those at work and one of my coworkers tested it by not understanding the difference between a band saw and a table saw and being too stupid to ask or too shy to admit he didn't know what he was doing. He attempted to cut an 1/8" sheet of aluminum with it. Hard to say if it would have kicked back and sliced him in half, but it probably wouldn't have been good. He saved that blade and the stop block for the next year as many of us threatened to make a shadow box out of it and hang it next to the saw (we should have).

Fast forward a few months... We moved locations and I threw the blade and stop block away because it was a safety risk all by itself. Another stop saw from a different facility moved to our new location with us... as does another blade and stop block jammed together. Seems one of their interns jammed that one up and those guys had the same plan and the same lack of execution.

It was right about this time I learned that shop classes were extinct from public schools within about 10 years of me graduating. It seems that no one under 30 has ever taken one.

Top Bottom