• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have gotten hiking fever badly and the 2-3 mile trails in state parks are just not doing it. Another thing I don't like about state parks is that you can only camp in designated areas, which are a bit too crowded and loud for my taste.

Are there any good, long hiking trails in IN?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I used to mt bike a lot when I lived in bloomington and Brown County had the absolute best trails in the state for that. I assume it's the same for hiking.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For day hikes, Pine hills is a neat place (adjacent to Shades State Park). I've been there once, but I stopped when they group got to the place they call "devil's backbone" because I didn't think it would be safe for me.

I don't think it would meet abnk needs, though, as it probably wouldn't challenge him or someone similarly fit unless you were carrying a substantial load.

The Nature Conservancy in Indiana - Pine Hills

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For day hikes, Pine hills is a neat place (adjacent to Shades State Park). I've been there once, but I stopped when they group got to the place they call "devil's backbone" because I didn't think it would be safe for me.

I don't think it would meet abnk needs, though, as it probably wouldn't challenge him or someone similarly fit unless you were carrying a substantial load.

The Nature Conservancy in Indiana - Pine Hills

I love Turkey Run SP, Shades SP, and Pine Hills Nature Preserve...

Pine Hills is deceptively difficult...mostly gentle descent on the way in somehow turns into a never-ending ascent when you're walking out. :dunno:

At Shades SP, you can also string together several trails to make for a much longer walk, as several trailheads are near one another. They also have a longer "backpack" trail out to their backpack camp. An out-and-back hike will be squarely in your desired range.

But, I'm biased to Shades as I used to work there.

PLUS, there's a SHOOTING RANGE just outside the park entrance. $3/day to shoot...

-J-

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Hoosier National and the Charles C. Deam wilderness area are where you want to go. There are plenty of 1 - 15 mile loops.

Deam Wilderness
    :+1: on Charles Deam and Hoosier National Forest in general. I've logged countless days and miles in the Hoosier National, as well as Shades, Turkey Run, Pioneer Mothers Forest, Hemlock Cliffs, German Ridge, Knobstone Trail, etc. There are miles of trails in the Deam wilderness area alone.:rockwoot: Also a great place just outside IN is Red River Gorge, south of Lexington KY (about 4 hrs south of Indy). Cant leave out Shawnee National Forest in southern IL. either. I would be more than willing to share maps and trail info over beers or between shooting, with anyone interested...:cheers:

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Indiana hiking trails

The Knobstone Trail is awesome for hiking here in-state. It is about 50 miles long and runs from Deam Lake in the south to Delaney Park near Salem in the north. The section at the north end starts at the park (which is in the boonies) with a 6 or 9 mile loop then heads south. One catch is that you have to carry all your water. Small streams dry up in the summer and you may not find any water at all... bummer, at 8 lbs/gal. hmm the DNR page is gone, but here are another couple pages with info

DNR - Division of Outdoor Recreation: Knobstone Trail

Delaney Creek Park

I can also recommend the Deam Wilderness on the south shore of Monroe Resevoir. It is 13000 acres of hoosier forest and has hiking and horseback trails that you can also hike, but you have to watch out for "road apples". If you go during the week you may not see anyone. I did the east end, Sycamore loop which is hiking only (no horses) and camped overnight a couple years ago on July 5-6 and did not see a soul. I think it was a Tues and Wed. Another bonus at Deam is Patton cave. The entrance is about 100 feet up on the side of a hill overlooking Saddle Creek.

Deam Wilderness

Last edited:

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    But, I'm biased to Shades as I used to work there.

PLUS, there's a SHOOTING RANGE just outside the park entrance. $3/day to shoot...

-J-

Shades shooting range?! I've been there many times but never knew about a shooting range. Is it public? Where in relation to the front gate?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Also a great place just outside IN is Red River Gorge, south of Lexington KY (about 4 hrs south of Indy).
    :+1:

We went to RRG in October last year. We stayed in a cabin just outside Natural Bridge. I completely agree. RRG is a BEAUTIFUL place to hike, and there are lots of places to pitch a tent if you don't want to wimp out like we did and get a hotel or rent a cabin. You need a permit to park overnight if you don't stay in a designated campground.... you can find more info here: The Red River Gorge Geological Area

And photos from our trip here: Photography by Pami :: 16 - Red River Gorge - Thumbnail View

21-d2-path2.jpg

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks, everyone. I didn't think there would be so many opportunities!

On topographic maps: Do you buy them on site or do you procure them elsewhere?

Top Bottom