• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    The idiots who built my house thought they would cut corners and didn't paint the underside of the boards that join at the siding and roof. (fascia boards?)

Anyway I've got carpenter bees everywhere eating my wood under there and making a mess. I don't feel like paying someone to exterminate these things and have to do it every year. I think I need to remove these boards, plug up the holes, and paint under them.

Suggestions?

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Paint or not the bees don't care they'll eat it. You do need to get them taken care of quickly though. I exterior paint in the summer and they are a pain in the ass. Where abouts are you? I've got some powder that will take care of them. If you aren't too far I can stop by.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm in Fishers. You mean the bees will eat through paint? I was under the impression the don't like that.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I've been kicking their asses with my tennis racquet but there are too many of them. I also spray them with wasp and hornet killer but these are tough suckers. Big and they don't die easy.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hell yea they eat through paint. When we are prepping a building we will just caulk their holes shut. When we come back the next day they have chewed all the way through the caulk. They'll do whatever it takes to get to the wood. Wasp and hornet spray is just a waste. They are kinda like the cockroach of the bee world really. What does your day look like tomorrow? We might be off due to rain. If so I might be able to work something out.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I might have to go to a buffet around lunch time :): Other than that no plans. I'll PM you my cell!
    Buffet? Hmm, I may have to meet up too. Pizza Hut has double stamp Tuesdays on their buffet cards...

I'm also out of ammo cans. I need to see of Gander Mt. has any more in stock.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I just use wd-40, spray the holes and they fall out.
    Could invest in a bug zapper, I put one up last year, though they did burn it up by end of summer.
    It was still fun to watch them.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    These critters do a lot of damage. They eat a 3/8" diameter hole into the wood across the grain, make a right turn, and follow the grain a long distance (a couple feet?). The do serious harm to the integrity of the wood. I also assume they will sting a person.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    These critters do a lot of damage. They eat a 3/8" diameter hole into the wood across the grain, make a right turn, and follow the grain a long distance (a couple feet?). The do serious harm to the integrity of the wood. I also assume they will sting a person.
    They go more than a couple of feet. We have removed boards where there has been a hole almost the entire length.

I don't think they will sting so much as they will bite you and just generally annoy and **** you off.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They go more than a couple of feet. We have removed boards where there has been a hole almost the entire length.

I don't think they will sting so much as they will bite you and just generally annoy and **** you off.

They'll bite you in one spot and then burrow through your entire length.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not much for insecticides, but I wonder if spraying down the fascia boards and holes with Sevin (Carbaryl) insecticide would kill them?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I still think a Smoke bomb and/or flamethrower is a good idea.

I mean what's the worst that can happen? you burn the house down? At least you won't have any Bee problems then.

Top Bottom