Large Hadron Collider - Cool overview of the world's largest particle accelerator

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In memory of Schroedinger's cat (RIP) and recent resurrection, they're firing up the LHC again. But with more power. hunh hunh hunh errrr

Large Hadron Collider restarts after two-year rebuild - BBC News

Particle beams have now travelled in both directions, inside parallel pipes, at a whisker below the speed of light.
    Actual collisions will not begin for at least another month, but they will take place with nearly double the energy the LHC reached during its first run.
    Scientists hope to glimpse a "new physics" beyond the Standard Model.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, we are a gun forum, and right now, there is no bigger gun with higher terminal ballistics than the LHC, albeit there's no smaller caliber. I wonder what it would take, if we anticipated an attach by aliens from space, to be able to steer its beam up.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, we are a gun forum, and right now, there is no bigger gun with higher terminal ballistics than the LHC, albeit there's no smaller caliber. I wonder what it would take, if we anticipated an attach by aliens from space, to be able to steer its beam up.

If we make another one, whatever you do, DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    There are particle collisions happening all the time, mostly in the upper atmosphere.
    And some are thousands of times more powerful than anything the LHC will do.

the problem is knowing where and when the collision will happen so you can study it. I heard somewhere (but I can't seem to find it again) that the actual force from the LHC strongest collision is about the same as a mosquito landing on your arm

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, that "mosquito" is landing REALLY REALLY fast! :)

(J/K I know what you mean.)

...the actual force from the LHC strongest collision is about the same as a mosquito landing on your arm

From CERN:
    http://press.web.cern.ch/backgrounders/safety-lhc

Speculations about microscopic black holes at the LHC refer to particles produced in the collisions of pairs of protons, each of which has an energy comparable to that of a mosquito in flight.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    When my son received radiation on his brain, we had to go to Bloomington to do it. That office is now closed, but at the time they had one of 7 or 8 proton beam radiation machines in the country. They would fire up those particles to 60% of light speed and blast his little brain. They actually did it from two sides and met the two beams in the middle. It worked, but I certainly didn't understand it. The two Dr.'s running the place were absolutely brilliant. Anyhow, the point is, people are purposefully put in the path of particle beams every day.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    When my son received radiation on his brain, we had to go to Bloomington to do it. That office is now closed, but at the time they had one of 7 or 8 proton beam radiation machines in the country. They would fire up those particles to 60% of light speed and blast his little brain. They actually did it from two sides and met the two beams in the middle. It worked, but I certainly didn't understand it. The two Dr.'s running the place were absolutely brilliant. Anyhow, the point is, people are purposefully put in the path of particle beams every day.

I worked at that cyclotron for almost 30 years. It's sad that the people in charge of the money weren't nearly as competent as their medical counterparts.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I worked at that cyclotron for almost 30 years. It's sad that the people in charge of the money weren't nearly as competent as their medical counterparts.

Amen to that. You people were awesome down there. The front desk, the techs, the nurses, the anesthesiologists, Dr. Buxbaum, everyone. My son still remembers you guys, and we certainly do. Thanks for everything you did for so many. FYI, we were there early 2012.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm more concerned with the radio waves and contrails they are pumping into the sky and ground. I can't remember what the one in Alaska is called. An they either have or are building a bigger one. They do and have controlled the weather. That's more scary to me than if some scientist blow money on a giant circle thing

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GkzO7ro.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm more concerned with the radio waves and contrails they are pumping into the sky and ground. I can't remember what the one in Alaska is called. An they either have or are building a bigger one. They do and have controlled the weather. That's more scary to me than if some scientist blow money on a giant circle thing

This may be more than a little Hollywood-ish, but if they can figure out how the Strong Force works (this is what keeps atoms joined together), they may then be able to unlock and control fusion-generated power. That would be a REALLY big deal.

Current (pardon the pun) efforts are little more than trial and error. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if the LHC can facilitate actually understanding, that would be better. :)

Top Bottom