• ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Any HAM operators around...

CB junkie... always had it in the truck... till the truck died 6 months ago...

Bought a power supply to run it int he house, and since I can't really put an outdoor antenna up... decided to go dipole for inside use...

BLAH!

So after 2.5 weeks of waiting (stupid company forgot about my order, TWICE) it comes... and wouldn't you know... none of the rooms are tall enough and wide enough, or wide enough and long enough to do an L setup going up the wall and along the floor, or on the ceiling... all I can manage is in the dining room living room, a long straight line... which isn't even letting me pick up the interstate a few blocks away, but is letting me pick up a guy, pretty much in direct line with the antenna some 15 miles away....

So, any suggestions? I almost just wanted to bring in my little wil I used on the truck... but it's a magnetic mount and I don't think I could get a decent ground plane off of anything in here *unless I put it in the kitchen on the water heater... which just don't want to do.

I miss having the radio to talk on, I haven't talked to a guy that goes by doughboy around here in 6 months and I really miss talking to the guy haha.

Can't bring myself to put the radio in the neon... as it'd make me look like a remote controlled car.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    go to a garage sale, buy an ols steel cookie sheet. Stick the mag mount on it, then you can take it down whenever......

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    go to a garage sale, buy an ols steel cookie sheet. Stick the mag mount on it, then you can take it down whenever......

Think it'll be adequate? If so I've got old steel computer cases I could use in that case. Or even the chest freezer I suppose when I feel like chatting.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It may not give you the ground plane that an automobile would, but check it with an SWR bridge, and see what it looks like. Virtually any flat metal surface would be a likely candidate...the bigger, the better.

Top Bottom