• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My stupid ISP changed from hosting their own e-mail to gmail. Nothing is wrong with gmail, except it was impossible to get my e-mail client (Eudora) configured properly to download my e-mail.

So now I either have to use gmail web mail (which is incredibly slow with a dial-up connection), or I have to use freakin' Outlook Express, aka "Please Infect Me with a Virus That Exploits Outlook" e-mail.

And of course, there is no simple way to import my sizeable address book from Eudora to Outlook Express. So I have to rebuild it.

Stupid ISP.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can see if Thunderbird works with it. I use that for email on both Windows and Linux. If anything, it might be able to import the address book and export into Outlook Express, if you still must use that abomination.

This is part of the reason I have a domain (well many). To eliminate ISP issues with email. It will never change, as it is hosted independent of my ISP.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's all too complicated for my puny brain to comprehend.

I will probably use Firefox/Thunderbird if and when I get a new computer.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thunderbird works fine with gmail. It's free and I like it!

Settings for gmail on thunderbird are
    outbound server: smtp.gmail.com
    Server name: pop.gmail.com

Everything else is whatever you want the settings to be pretty much. leave the port at 995.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thunderbird works fine with gmail. It's free and I like it!

Settings for gmail on thunderbird are
    outbound server: smtp.gmail.com
    Server name: pop.gmail.com

Everything else is whatever you want the settings to be pretty much. leave the port at 995.

That's not strictly accurate. You first have to log into your Gmail account on their website and enable POP3 or IMAP. I believe it's disabled by default.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Wow, I didn't think anything upset the Rhino! I'm sure glad I wasn't anywhere near ground zero when he got the news!!:rolleyesedit:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Scutter's right, but don't tell him I said so...

Once you go into Gmail (via the web), click settings in the upper right hand corner.

There's instructions on that page for setup using other clients.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    23mr13p.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Latest report . . .

Stupid Outlook Express downloads my e-mail. Sometimes. When it feels like it. And picks and chooses which messages it wants to download.

I can see mail sitting in my inbox when I'm connected to the gmail web mail directly. When I try to download it, sometimes it happens and other times it does not. And some messages it just leaves sitting there.

I have, of course, enabled POP and poop and everything else I need to do. Why it works for a couple of messages now, but not other messages in less than 10 seconds eludes me. Of course, I'm Just Not That Bright either.

I've been avoiding getting a new computer and a broadband connection because even though my setup was slow, it worked. And if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Now these jacka**es have "fixed" things so well that I'm going insaner than I already was.

I'm looking at other ISPs now. I've resisted before because I don't want to change my e-mail address every stinkin' place it will need to be changed.

I'm so furious I actually swore a little while ago. I said, "Cheese and crackers!" . . . ALOUD!

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I find that is the main reason that people do not change their PC and ISP, they do not want to loose their email address. I recommend getting broadband first of all, dial up is painful to use. Then I would not use their email at all, again it can change, you can move, whatever and you will again have to change.

I'd use gmail even when you get to a new ISP, you will have broadband to use the web interface, or if needed you can use pop ot imap if you do not like using the web interface. Me, I use the web so I do not have to worry about any settings. I also get a new laptop about every 4-6 months, but as long as I get online I can have my email with no hassle. I guess if Google goes under you'd loose your email address, but I think that is pretty safe for the foreseeable future. :)

A new desktop with 4gb of ram and a dual or quad core processor is only about $600-$800 dollers now days, mamzing value for the price. A laptop with 4 gb and dual core is about $800, again great deals are out there!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not pointy-headed enough to do such things!

Maybe back in the day I could handle it, but now I'm just a should-be Mac user who can't afford a Mac.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm a hothead!

Outlook Express seems to be working okay now.

I do have both the latest version of Eudora (thanks to BigDave) and the latest versions of Pegasus Mail (downloaded while at Coach's house, pretending to install EZWinScore for him). I'll try them both, probably next week.

Top Bottom