• ...and so much more!
  • Are you anti-cop?

• Total voters

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I'm not going to answer either way, but I do have my dislikes about them. The biggest one is the power tripping, I'm above you, bow down to me types. I can't stand them. They are no different than you or I except they get their car and fuel paid for by other people. When I get my next car payment I should submit it to the state for them to pay. I've also seen plain clothes, off duty cops driving marked cars passing people, that weren't going fast enough for them, in the inside shoulder on 465.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I have no problem with cops, in general. My dad was a cop many years ago and I know that most cops are dedicated, hard working individuals trying to make a difference.:thumbsup:
    I do have a problem, however, with a small minority that seem to think that badge makes them king sh** in town. Recent news here in Indy point out the type I mean.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I think you should have added another poll option...

No, I don't have a problem with cops just want to see the bad ones weeded out.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    "No, I don't have a problem with cops just want to see the bad ones weeded out"
    Moderators, can we get that added to the poll?

thanks
    Joe

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    ***note to self, stop posting after you just woke up.... you cant spell for ****

Moderators if you would also edit my spelling in the poll - change take to talk

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I really don't read where there's a lot of anti-police on the forum. What I do read is that the police should be held to a higher degree of accountablity which they should be.There are very few people in the U.S. that have the power to take away someone's freedom, and judges and the police need to make sure they are right when they do so.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    is it just me or does it seem like theres a lot of anti-cop going on here?

Well..... I see a handful of "anti-cop" types here. Just like there's a handful of liberals here who only seem to stand out from most "libbies" by being pro-gun.:rolleyesedit:

And most of the above mentioned two types of individuals seem to be in fact one in the same!!! :thumbsup:

Cops are human beings. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Overall I think the large majority of cops are honest, and well intentioned. True "dirty-cops" like the vermin who have been getting flushed-out of IMPD recently (thanks Frankie & Barty, BTW) should be made examples of!!! :xmad:

And let's not forget there are always the "armchair experts" who forget that some people don't have the luxury to sit behind a computer, weigh evidence, and make a slow and thought-out decision. Some people who live in the real world have to make split-second decisions and then hope that the real experts along with the "arm-chair" variety will consider how they acted and in what circumstances they did so.
    :cheers:

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As with any cross section of people, there are good people with a desire to help and there are bad people who seek to take advantage.
    A badge absolutely does not designate exemplary character.
    Some cops will take a bullet for you, some will steal your wallet while you're on the ground bleeding.
    Some Joe Citizens will take a bullet for you, some will steal your wallet while you're on the ground bleeding.
    And after all, what's a cop? No more than Joe Citizen with a shiny pin, no matter how you spin it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As with any cross section of people, there are good people with a desire to help and there are bad people who seek to take advantage.
    A badge absolutely does not designate exemplary character.
    Some cops will take a bullet for you, some will steal your wallet while you're on the ground bleeding.
    Some Joe Citizens will take a bullet for you, some will steal your wallet while you're on the ground bleeding.
    And after all, what's a cop? No more than Joe Citizen with a shiny pin, no matter how you spin it.

Yup. I wondered something with the now-famous "Don't taze me, bro" video: Had the "security" been provided by non-LEOs (i.e. private security guards), what would have happened to the gentleman who ended up tazed and arrested?

Why is there a difference? What law did he break? And why did a small group of cops do to him what they did?

This is the kind of abuse of power to which many (myself included) object. It's not anti-cop, it's anti-denial-of-freedom/abuse-of-power.

My :twocents:.

Blessings,
    B

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I will probably get based for this, but i am anti-cop for the most part. There are many great cops, but there are many bad cops. I have had my run in with bad cops who write the wrong info on the police reports for their interest.

I also think the job itself needs to be changed a little. Stop having seat belt checks. Stop writing tickets that do nothing but bring in revenue. I hate them writing tickets and then go out and do the same thing. There is too much bureaucracy.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Cops are human beings. There's good ones and there are bad ones.

I agree with you Crystalship1, but since police are given authority over the rest of us, they are expected to show exemplary behavior. It's silly to expect respect and good behavior from the public when your own house (this means you, IMPD) is in disarray.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Well..... I see a handful of "anti-cop" types here. Just like there's a handful of liberals here who only seem to stand out from most "libbies" by being pro-gun.:rolleyesedit:

And most of the above mentioned two types of individuals seem to be in fact one in the same!!! :thumbsup:

Cops are human beings. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Overall I think the large majority of cops are honest, and well intentioned. True "dirty-cops" like the vermin who have been getting flushed-out of IMPD recently (thanks Frankie & Barty, BTW) should be made examples of!!! :xmad:

And let's not forget there are always the "armchair experts" who forget that some people don't have the luxury to sit behind a computer, weigh evidence, and make a slow and thought-out decision. Some people who live in the real world have to make split-second decisions and then hope that the real experts along with the "arm-chair" variety will consider how they acted and in what circumstances they did so.
    :cheers:

Good Post :thumbsup: Most people just do not like authority figures and police represent authority and yes IMO I feel that there is an underlying presumption against police here, more so than in the general population of law abiding citizens or maybe, as in most cases the antis are more vocal.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Or it could be the national news showing us gun-owners scenes of police and National Guard in New Orleans working hand-in-hand to confiscate firearms from law-abiding citizens. As the SCOTUS just reaffirmed, firearm ownership is an individual right. So, the federal gov. and local police violated the God-given rights of those citizens. As Nuremburg taught us, "I was just following orders" is not an excusable defense.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Hmmm... several friends as LEOs. My first thought when I see a LEO on foot is "friend." My first thought as I'm driving and I see a LEO car is, "Crap! Am I speeding?"

So, in general, cop = good. The same thing is true of most cross-sections of society. The overwhelming majority is good; a minority is corrupt trash. If you are "in" the crowd - whether we're discussing LEOs, attorneys, folks from the Appalachian hills, inner city LA or Haight-Ashbury - you recognize that most folks are good with a few bad apples. If you're not familiar with that group, then one tends to label the ENTIRE group that way.

For the record, me? Not liberal, not conservative. I am very much interested in maintaining the safety and rights that extends in a circle around me, growing larger around family/friends and larger still around community then humanity. I find the extreme left and extreme right to come almost full circle 'til they meet again - in the grip of manic extremism.

In my view, with moderation even potentially damaging things can be ok (alcohol.) Taken to extremes, even fundamentally good things can be corrupted (organized religion.) In humble opinion, extreme left and extreme right career politicians are corrupt members of corrupt political parties who have more in common with each other than to the common citizen.

Sorry, off track. :chillout:

I generally see cops as good folks. Good folks doing a difficult job where it is easy to become disenchanted with the general public due to the trash element one would normally have to deal in the course of the job. There will be bad cops who abuse their power - let the judges show them no mercy. There are good ones who might make an error in judgment or a mistake in their personal life - glass houses, anyone? :rolleyesedit: No way I'm pure enough to cast that first stone.

In summary, I guess I am pro-cop.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Good Post :thumbsup: Most people just do not like authority figures and police represent authority and yes IMO I feel that there is an underlying presumption against police here, more so than in the general population of law abiding citizens or maybe, as in most cases the antis are more vocal.

You're post made me think. I believe my stance with authority is this:

We, the people, define the rules. Through elections and legislature, yep that's "we" unless someone doesn't vote, then there is no room for complaint in a free democracy.

We, the people, assign some folks to enforce the rules. Hired by folks who were elected by us to act on our behalf. I am glad we take this step.

We, as citizens, are expected to act according to the rules we have defined. By far and away, I do. By the same token, we should assume safe passage from detainment or harassment when acting accordingly.

"Authority" is only a temporary responsibility and power bestowed By The People. As long as authority and the people conduct themselves by the above rules, we all get along swimmingly. If the rules are violated by either authority or the people, the violator should expect immediate and swift action.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As long as authority and the people conduct themselves by the above rules, we all get along swimmingly. If the rules are violated by either authority or the people, the violator should expect immediate and swift action.

Unfortunately, while you are correct as to how it should be, in reality, the only swift action is taken when they're breaking down your door and tossing in flash-bangs before they shoot your dogs.

When's the last time you saw "swift action" (or anything remotely resembling it) taken against "authority"?

Blessings,
    B

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Another big problem i have with cops is that they are aloud to lie right to somebody as a interrogation technique, but a citizen isnt aloud to lie back. That is a double standard...

Top Bottom