• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Alright, not really sure where to start this but here it goes. I have lived with my Aunt and Uncle in MD since senior year of high school. After myself and their two daughters (twins) decided to go to IU, they bought a house there (Aunt has her own settlement attorney practice and he builds custom homes.) They were nice enough to let me live there for free, and I really appreciate everything they have done for me.
    Now here's where the trouble starts. I have been given an ultimatum by my uncle (read: Republican gun owner) to find a place to keep my guns outside of the house (says its unsafe, ridiculous to have an AR-15, I'm too young, all that B.S). I am no fan of self-storage places holding my guns, nor having no way of protecting myself in my home. Just looking for some suggestions on what to do ie. with the guns, moving out, w/e you can think of. Thanks for any help guys.

This sucks.:crying:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    That's a tough call. Your options are limited because you are living under his roof on his dime. That being said, having a means of protection is a requirement, in my opinion.

Do you keep your guns in a safe? If not, would he feel better if you kept them locked up?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    His house his rules. Anyone else around there willing to store a gunsafe of your guns?

How about a don't ask don't tell situation. Ignore the situation and keep the guns out of sight and maybe this situation goes away?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agree, his house, his rules, provided you are paying no rent. I also agree that someone else storing (most of) your guns for you would be the perfect solution. I'm sure you've tried all the logical means of convincing him and they've not worked, else you'd not have asked. What about your Aunt? Would she be averse to accepting a small rent payment from you? If you're paying rent, I think the "his house, his rules" thing goes away, as you're no longer a guest but a tenant. Please check with a competent attorney to verify this. Good luck, either with changing your status or with finding someone who will provide you with a safe storage space.

Blessings,
    B

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    What are the twins' opinions of firearms? Is it possible to educate them. If they could/would support your efforts you might be able to change uncles mindset. After all these girls are undoubtedly the "apples" of dad's eye.:draw:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Doubtful since you can't enter a legally binding contract with a minor.

True... but he's not. :)

Alright, not really sure where to start this but here it goes. I have lived with my Aunt and Uncle in MD since senior year of high school. After myself and their two daughters (twins) decided to go to IU, they bought a house there

;)

(ETA: Profile says he's 20.)

Blessings,
    B

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Unless your name is on the mortgage, it's his house - his rules.
    Doubtful since you can't enter a legally binding contract with a minor.

I'm 20, so I can enter into a contract, that's not a concern.

They are in a safe, not a real quality one, but a safe none the less. I already store them (AR and G19) field stripped and broken down, and that has not swayed him. My cousin's are not anti-gun, and have said they will go shoot at me this year, but that does not sway him. I told him there's no way I'm gonna pay $800-$900 for a self-storage spot and that I'd rather buy a real safe for that kind of money. I just don't understand his reasoning, I mean, the man keeps a gun in his home office "just in case". I just hate the "you're too young". To young to protect myself? To young to be robbed? Doesn't make sense to me.

ETA: the G19 only gets broken down when being stored for a day or more, otherwise it's on me. Re-read that and it made me sound like I would have to put it together every time I touched it lol.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would not consider using a self-storage unit unless you get the best safe known to mankind. Those things are magnets for thieves, including he people who own and work at them in many cases.

The idea of having a friend keept them for you (especially the obvious ones) is a good idea. You could even buy a safe and have it delivered and installed in their house if they allow it. You could pay them a little rent for the space.

The idea of offering to pay rent to your uncle has merit, but it sounds like he has already decided that guns are bad (even though he has his own), which isn't likely to change.

The best solution is probably find your own place, get your own safe, and make your own rules.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The best solution is probably find your own place, get your own safe, and make your own rules.

I also forgot to mention that I pay my full out-of-state tuition through loans, grants and scholarships. I would have to take out another loan because I accounted $0 for housing already. This has placed another huge problem on the housing, along with finding a place this late into the summer close to campus (I have no car).

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, if anyone wants to rent me some AR space, I'm open to offers :n00b:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    NateIU10 . . .

Hopefully someone local will offer some safe space, if at least for the short term until you find a more long term solution.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Muh bad. Could have sworn I read that he was 15...but now I don't see where I saw that (or thought I did).
    A 15 year old at IU? Come on now. :rolleyesedit:

:):

First off, we need pictures of your cousins. You know, for discussion's sake. :thumbsup:

If you need somewhere to store your items until you are able to come up with a more permanent and/or better solution, I have room in my safe. Or, depending on the size of your safe, I'm sure I have room for that too. Only downside is that I am in Indianapolis.

Good luck.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Find someone you trust to keep the AR-15 for you. Keep the G19 with you.

Good luck.

That's what I was thinking a little too, but if he ever found out, I'd be homeless lol:noway:

As to my cousin's shotting at me, lol, I meant to type shoot at the HNF with me. My mind was flustered lol:draw:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Let's not lose the point Rizzo made, as it's crucial to this discussion. We need to see photos of your cousins before we can offer proper advice on this situation.

Top Bottom