• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone has it?

Looking to save some coin on auto insurance for my wife and I; their online quote was OUTSTANDING.

Anyone bought it online? Through an actual agent at a brick & mortar establishment? Ever had to file a claim with them?

Shanks,

-J-

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    It is my understanding that in some parts of the state they have what they call a concierge program. Basically IF you have an accident you drop the vehicle off at their office, THEY decide who will fix it and how much they will pay. The shop is then bound by contract to pick the car up with a tow truck, fix it and then pay a tow truck to take it back. Then it goes through their inspection and if it fails the shop must then pay a wrecker to pick it up again and fix it this time the shop pays the rental car fees.

I am speaking from a shop’s point of view. But I like to meet the people who are going to fix my car and “I” want to do the inspecting.
    :twocents:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Progressive........isn't IMO

I had a bad experience with Progressive. My wife's car was hit by a coworker in the parking lot at work. When they found out how much damage was done (about $2K) they decided to turn it in to their Progressive insurance. Our car was brand new but the Progressive adjuster told me I couldn't pick the shop and they would use junk-yard parts to repair our car. The guy even told me there's a state law allowing them to make that call. I'd be ashamed to be represented like that by an insurance company. Our State Farm policy paid for the repairs at the shop I picked, using new parts, and recovered their loss and my deductible from Progressive.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I can't say anything about Progressive auto insurance, but their CEO Peter B. Lewis is a huge supporter of liberal ideology. I won't say the link I cited to is authoritative, but will give you a start for your own research. I try to shy away from supporting companies that have leadership like this when I know about it. Just a little food for thought.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Couple of facts regardless of who your insurer is:

In the state of Indiana, you only need ONE estimate (at the shop of YOUR choice) and if you car is under five years old you are able to demand that the body shop use OEM (original manufacturer) body parts. The insurer can however require third-party mechanical (non-body) parts be used.

I think Indiana is one of only two or three states that give you these rights.
    :cheers:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just wonder if it's worth the hassle to go with another company over about $150 a year?

Guess I'll keep checking back for responses!

Thanks again.

-J-

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I can't say anything about Progressive auto insurance, but their CEO Peter B. Lewis is a huge supporter of liberal ideology. I won't say the link I cited to is authoritative, but will give you a start for your own research. I try to shy away from supporting companies that have leadership like this when I know about it. Just a little food for thought.

Sounds like quite a guy.:noway:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know someone who was in an accident. Both drivers had progressive. Well the other guy was at fault, but the way the police report and the progressive insurance rep wrote the report of the accident it was very vauge. Since it was vauge both driver were "at fault". which would really Pi** me off.

I use AAA and it is not that bad. If you have not checked with them give it a shot as well..

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I had a bad experience with Progressive. My wife's car was hit by a coworker in the parking lot at work. When they found out how much damage was done (about $2K) they decided to turn it in to their Progressive insurance. Our car was brand new but the Progressive adjuster told me I couldn't pick the shop and they would use junk-yard parts to repair our car. The guy even told me there's a state law allowing them to make that call. I'd be ashamed to be represented like that by an insurance company. Our State Farm policy paid for the repairs at the shop I picked, using new parts, and recovered their loss and my deductible from Progressive.
    DRob,
    My understanding of this State law seems to have several interpretations.
    Some insurance companies read it to say that if you are NOT insured by them then they are exempt from the law by some loophole, although I’ve never seen this in writing.
    Others will say that if you ARE insured by them then they are exempted because their policy contract reads something to that effect. (you waive your rights to that particular law)
    The fact is that the law states that if you have the right to demand “new OEM” parts be used IF your vehicle is a “CURRENT MODEL YEAR MINUS 5 YRS OR NEWER”.
    As you had mentioned, I have counseled most of my customers who have State Farm Insurance to fix the car under their own policy, pay their deductible and it (the repair process) will be more prudent and even faster in most cases.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the girl on the commercials. She says, "Wow!" louder than the customers, and she has a big, tricked-out nametag.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    The law you are talking about is 27-4-1.5-1. It is all about what an insurer owes an insured. So if you are making a claim against another guy's insurance they don't have to give you new parts as stated above. In fact the law states that your own company has to send you a letter advising of your rights to new parts if your car is current plus 5 years old. Many companies don't comply with that portion of the law but it is the law nevertheless.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I can't say anything about Progressive auto insurance, but their CEO
    Peter B. Lewis is a huge supporter of liberal ideology. I won't say the link I cited to is authoritative, but will give you a start for your own research. I try to shy away from supporting companies that have leadership like this when I know about it. Just a little food for thought.

This was enough for me about Peter Lewis :dunno:

Between 1991 and 2003, Lewis contributed $5 million to the American Civil Liberties Union's drug-policy litigation project, which challenges current laws dealing with drug testing in schools and the medicinal use of marijuana. He also made large donations to drug-legalization initiatives in Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Utah, Florida, Maine, and Massachusetts.

According to the anti-drug group, National Families in Action, Lewis has "contributed heavily to the destruction of thousands of America's children" by promoting the notion that marijuana possesses medicinal benefits and by telling youngsters that "pot is OK."

In 1999, Hoover's Handbook of American Business described Lewis in print as "a functioning pot-head." In 2000, Lewis was arrested after customs agents found 1.7 ounces of marijuana and two ounces of hashish in his luggage at an airport in New Zealand. The charges were dropped when the billionaire, who said he was carrying the drugs for "medicinal purposes," agreed to make a donation to a drug-rehabilitation center.

The reclusive Lewis does not grant interviews to the press and is rarely photographed. According to a Jane Mayer article in the New Yorker, Lewis “spent much of 2004 discreetly directing millions of dollars to liberal groups allied with the Democratic Party ... while cruising the Mediterranean Sea on his two-hundred-and-fifty foot yacht, Lone Ranger.”

During the 2004 election cycle, Lewis was the second leading donor to the non-party organizations known as “527s” -- named after a section of the U.S. tax code that permitted unlimited "soft money" donations to groups pledging to use the funds not for the "express advocacy" of any particular political candidate, but rather for "voter education," "issue-oriented" political advertising, and other nebulous enterprises. Lewis donated nearly $23 million to such organizations in 2004, including $16 million to the Joint Victory Campaign, $2.9 million to America Coming Together, and $2.5 million to Move On.Org.

In 2004 Lewis estimated that he had thus far given away some $250 million during his lifetime, nearly half of it ($117 million) to his alma mater, Princeton University.

Along with George Soros, Lewis is a key financial supporter of Democracy Alliance and Media Matters for America.

Lewis retired as the CEO of Progressive Insurance in 2000, but he remains the company's Chairman of the Board.

In February 2008, Lewis contributed money to the presidential campaign of Barack Obama. He is also a close friend of Democrat Senator Ted Kennedy.

Lewis' home in Coconut Grove, Florida is decorated with numerous Andy Warhol paintings of the late Communist dictator Mao Zedong.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I was rear ended by a woman a couple years ago in a minivan who had progressive. I thought they were real easy to deal with and was happy with the service I recieved from them. I took my truck to a friend with a bodyshop for the estimate (My estimate) their adjuster did one that was actually higher than the one my buddy did. He fixed my truck with out any questions or complaints from Progressive.
    That is the only dealing I have ever had with them and I thought it was good. But I have Farm Bureau insurance as it is cheaper than the progressive because I have everything at one agent and therefore get a discount.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    I have had progressive on 3-4 different cars over the last 5 years. When I signed up they were by far the cheapest quote. Every policy renewal since my rates have dropped.

Last winter I was in an accident (not at fault) car was totalled. Progressive was very good at covering all my medical bills ($5,000 personal injury allowance). the reps I spoke to were always helpful, and let me know what was going on. Once that allowance ran out, they explained everything that I needed to do. I honestly couldn't be happier.

I have heard bad things about every insurance company. so, I go with the lowest bidder till I get screwed and go somewhere else. I don't know what else you can do....

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008

IMHO, they were doing what insurance companies do. If they have to pay, and your not the policy holder they try to make it cheap as possible. Always take your time till your happy, automatically involve your insurance company to protect your interests, and don't be afraid to get a lawyer involved.

I almost didn't and would have been out 10's of thousands of dollars after an accident.

Top Bottom