Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Online dating?

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT Knife Lady's Avatar

User Info Menu

I dont think being on a dating link or any single link at all mean there is something wrong with you. I think it simply means you are wanting to find a mate or at least someone to date. Pure and simple. You can find a weirdo anywhere and anytime. There are so many lonely single people out there of both genders. There is not a quick fix to any of this. I still say timing is the key. Timing as far as both people meeting at the right time after they are both over the previous relationship. I do mean over it with no bad feelings and ready to trust and move forward but mostly ready to love and be loved. Ready to be a giver and not just a taker. I do not think looks is everything. It is the heart of the person. Dont take me wrong I like a good looking man but if he doesnt have a good heart its goodbye baby.
    A closed mind can't learn.

Please be kind to others.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Just don't fall for the Nigerian scam. My aunt was led on for months. We kept telling her that he was a scammer and she wouldn't believe it. Even after she finally called him on it, he told her that he was a scammer but really did fall in love with her. She almost bought it again. It is amazing how pathetic and needy some single people can be. He was even sending her stuff he bought with stolen credit card numbers to have her resell to buy a plane ticket back home. His story was that he was a computer guy for HP working in Nigeria. He was from Chicago but they weren't paying him when the job was done so he had no way to get home. Wouldn't logic tell you to buy a plane ticket with the credit card instead of buying stuff for her to resell and send him the money? He also sent her a bogus money order in the thousands for her to cash and western union him the money. We were able to convince her to make the bank hold the funds until after it cleared. Surprise, surprise, it didn't clear.

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT Knife Lady's Avatar

User Info Menu

What a shame I am sorry to hear that. Scammers are everywhere on the phone, even at your front door sometimes. Yes you have to be very careful. One thign for sure, a person can be or pretend to be whatever or whomever they want to be. There are many liars out there for sure. Thats where a little common sense comes into play.
    A closed mind can't learn.

Please be kind to others.

User Info Menu

My wife and I were married for 25 years before she lost her war with cancer. It took me a couple of years to get the nerve up to try to go dating again, but when you are older, the dating life is way way different.

There are a couple of things that scare me about online dating. There are scammers out there. I have heard of several females that fronted for friends, getting to know older guys who over the years had amassed some savings. After a several "dates" the guy's house was broken into, and the girl magically disappeared.

There is also that stupid law now that if there is a restraining order against you, you automatically lose your firearms. Being a firearms collector, I can't risk finding someone who is slightly off center, and decides to screw me by taking out a restraining order just for the heck of it. Sad world we live in.

User Info Menu

I met Mrs Delmar on Love@AOL in 1999. We have been married for a little over 9 years and she is a keeper!

My advice, limit your search to people who are within driving distance and if you meet someone interesting meet them in person ASAP. Don't get emotionally attached to someone you haven't actually met, and your friends haven't had a chance to check out.
    The internet is one way to meet more people, but building relationships and falling in love are better done in person.

User Info Menu

I met my wife online... well sorta..... she was attending a school that my grandfather is the dean of students at... long story short the school has been around since like the 60's and he has been there since then so he has a lot of repsect.... when he speaks people listen. Well one day he walked into the class and asked if the instructor was done, he said yes. My grandfather asked if my now wife would come to his office in a few..

She said yes and was bout to pee her pants because she thought she was in trouble (going to the Deans office is rarley good). Come to find out he was testing her out a bit doing that. She showed up and told her that she should talk to me, I gave him my e-mail to give to her. A day or two later we were talking on the phone and a few days later I said "so we are going to get married arnt we?" She said I think so... I said "do you want to get married"? She said yes.

Keep in mind I had not met her in person yes but from what I was hearing from others she was a lot like me. I flew out to see her a few weeks later and it was what her and I expected. A few weeks after that I flew out again to bring her out here and like 6 months later we got married. Her parents met and we married in two weeks and have been together for like 30 years.

Do we have any regrets? We regret not really dating but we are the type people that go after what we want....... no point in dating if you know it is meant to be....

Before all that I had "dated" a girl or two that I had met online.... none ended well, most were from me being stupid (not cheating or anything).

I met my ex fiance online and regret that day in a bad bad way..... later found out that everything was a lie, she cheated on me with her ex but tol me that he "forced her to go down there" (Trying to be PC for INGO). She even got online and would create other profiles and start talking to me........ I later figured out it was her. She even told my parents that she would be back and take me from them for forever.... that was after I broke up with her....... she then stalked me for a while......

If you ask me the long distance stuff should be avoided unless you really hit it off and think they are legit... anyone will tell you that driving distance is the way to go... flying gets expensive and is hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Dave View Post
    I met my wife online... well sorta..... she was attending a school that my grandfather is the dean of students at... long story short the school has been around since like the 60's and he has been there since then so he has a lot of repsect.... when he speaks people listen. Well one day he walked into the class and asked if the instructor was done, he said yes. My grandfather asked if my now wife would come to his office in a few..

She said yes and was bout to pee her pants because she thought she was in trouble (going to the Deans office is rarley good). Come to find out he was testing her out a bit doing that. She showed up and told her that she should talk to me, I gave him my e-mail to give to her. A day or two later we were talking on the phone and a few days later I said "so we are going to get married arnt we?" She said I think so... I said "do you want to get married"? She said yes.

Keep in mind I had not met her in person yes but from what I was hearing from others she was a lot like me. I flew out to see her a few weeks later and it was what her and I expected. A few weeks after that I flew out again to bring her out here and like 6 months later we got married. Her parents met and we married in two weeks and have been together for like 30 years.

Do we have any regrets? We regret not really dating but we are the type people that go after what we want....... no point in dating if you know it is meant to be....

Before all that I had "dated" a girl or two that I had met online.... none ended well, most were from me being stupid (not cheating or anything).

I met my ex fiance online and regret that day in a bad bad way..... later found out that everything was a lie, she cheated on me with her ex but tol me that he "forced her to go down there" (Trying to be PC for INGO). She even got online and would create other profiles and start talking to me........ I later figured out it was her. She even told my parents that she would be back and take me from them for forever.... that was after I broke up with her....... she then stalked me for a while......

If you ask me the long distance stuff should be avoided unless you really hit it off and think they are legit... anyone will tell you that driving distance is the way to go... flying gets expensive and is hard.
    So your grandfather hooked you up! That is cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    So your grandfather hooked you up! That is cool!

Yeah....... my grandmother tried once or twice and things just did not work out..... then he tried once and bam haha.... they take a lot of pride in it.

My parents went to the school that he is the dean at, so did my late uncle, so did my wifes parents..... we later found out that her parents and my parents went to the school at the same time when were were REALLY young (small small small school)... so her and I knew each ohtere when we were like 4 haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Knife Lady View Post
    I dont think being on a dating link or any single link at all mean there is something wrong with you. I think it simply means you are wanting to find a mate or at least someone to date. Pure and simple. You can find a weirdo anywhere and anytime. There are so many lonely single people out there of both genders. There is not a quick fix to any of this. I still say timing is the key. Timing as far as both people meeting at the right time after they are both over the previous relationship. I do mean over it with no bad feelings and ready to trust and move forward but mostly ready to love and be loved. Ready to be a giver and not just a taker. I do not think looks is everything. It is the heart of the person. Dont take me wrong I like a good looking man but if he doesnt have a good heart its goodbye baby.
    I don't think looking online is a bad thing either.....my life right now just isn't set up to go out and find someone the "old fashioned way"...so I try online...if I don't find someone, I don't find someone....online or offline

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Patriot View Post
    Looks are important to a degree. I believe there has to be physical attraction. However I believe to have a deep relationship, you must go deeper. Relationships I have seen based Solly on looks, did not last. After the initial lust wears off, there is nothing to fall back on. Also you do not have to compromise your morals, and beliefs just to find someone. In a relationship there has to be compromise yes, but not who you are. If someone truly loves you, then they will love you for you.
    agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    My advice, limit your search to people who are within driving distance and if you meet someone interesting meet them in person ASAP. Don't get emotionally attached to someone you haven't actually met, and your friends haven't had a chance to check out.
    The internet is one way to meet more people, but building relationships and falling in love are better done in person.
    also agree 100%
    -Lori-

User Info Menu

I recommenced my primary dating strategy yesterday: hitting on waitresses.

So far, I have an impressive 0.000 average after hundreds of times at bat. Heh.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast