• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've always thought it'd be cool to build one of these from scratch, not to the F1 level, but good enough to actually race with. I've seen people make chassies and drop in the busa motor, run auto-x and win. I was thinking of building from scratch(aluminum), but was wondering if anybody done this kind of thing before. How hard can it be? What do I need to fabricate a complete racing car to meet organization standards? What clubs do I need to look into for this kind of racing? I've beern wanting to get into racing whether it's motoGP or this sorta thing. I suppose something like this is closer to the F3 cars then F1, but you get the idea. Here's some sample pictures to show what I'm talking about:

f1-25-08-06.JPG

2006mclaren1-lg.jpg

2004-Toyota-F1-Car.jpg

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Id go look on some SCCA forums. They have many different cars for different classes out there. That is what I would get into.

You can find cars on their classifieds or on ebay that are projects or turn key race cars.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    here is a link to the SCCA forums SCCAForums.com - Forums

I would say 100k is on the low end for the last pictured car. I know the motors in the indy cars are 60k themselves.

I would just look into something like benny posted. There are many different body styles and those with a bike motor are insane.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Even doing the fabrication myself and using a busa motor instead??

If you can do all the fabrication yourself it will be a lot cheaper. You will be making everything from scratch, people dont really like sharing information on race cars.

Here are a bunch of pictures of something that I would like to build eventually. jwwPhotos- powered by SmugMug

Much cheaper and smaller. I would just buy a roller of something like those.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Even doing the fabrication myself and using a busa motor instead??

If you just want to have fun thats fine, if you ever hope to be competitive before hell freezes over and your life saving are gone you need to just buy something used and then work on keeping it in one piece and further develop it..

I just retired from 20+ worthless years in the business, my advise is to run away and hide..

Or..

Volunteer with SCCA to get your feet wet, make contacts and start crewing for somebody..

You can also send your resume to each and every Indy Lights team offering to be a gopher for free on race weekends,, all expenses paid and you never work so long and hard for nothing.. that should be enough to change your mind about wanting anything to do with racing again..:D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you just want to have fun thats fine, if you ever hope to be competitive before hell freezes over and your life saving are gone you need to just buy something used and then work on keeping it in one piece and further develop it..

I just retired from 20+ worthless years in the business, my advise is to run away and hide..

Or..

Volunteer with SCCA to get your feet wet, make contacts and start crewing for somebody..

You can also send your resume to each and every Indy Lights team offering to be a gopher for free on race weekends,, all expenses paid and you never work so long and hard for nothing.. that should be enough to change your mind about wanting anything to do with racing again..:D

Thanks for the input...Yea, I like to do it for fun and to be competitive a little bit, but nothing professional(unless I'm just that good). when it comes to cars, I'm superficial and like it to look cool(what guy doesn't?) as well to be really fast. So what would be a ballpark figure that I'd save by fabricating the chassis(indy/cart style) myself?

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Thanks for the input...Yea, I like to do it for fun and to be competitive a little bit, but nothing professional(unless I'm just that good). when it comes to cars, I'm superficial and like it to look cool(what guy doesn't?) as well to be really fast. So what would be a ballpark figure that I'd save by fabricating the chassis(indy/cart style) myself?

I have no idea on how much those parts cost, nor would i like to know. I have a few friends that work on indy car teams I could probably ask them a ball park of those parts. but i wouldnt even worry about it. I think that buying a chassis would save you much more R&D and time and would be worth the money saved.

I would go to indyscca.org and see when their next event is and talk to some of the guys running open wheel mod cars. They were in your shoes at one point in time. And 99% of the guys out there are the nicest guys in the world, would take you for rides if they have 2 seats.

Top Bottom