• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    As some of you already know, I recently purchased the entire inventory from Young's Army and Navy Surplus in Grand Rapids Michigan. They closed their store last October and put everything in storage with the original intention of possibly opening another store in Texas, where the owner moved. The owner recently decided against opening another store and decided to sell everything. It took some time to move it all, and I had to purchase a semi trailer to store it since the warehouse is already pretty much full. It fills a 53' semi trailer from front to back about 5' deep.

There is a bunch of great inventory in this buyout. With my busy schedule and gun shows every weekend, it will probably take me the rest of the year to make my way through this massive pile of surplus. I'll try to start getting some of the new items in the store soon, but we have limited space in the retail store as well. I'm planning to reorganize the store and possibly increase the square footage in the future as well. It will take time, but hopefully over the next year or two we will have a bunch of new items in the store!

Just a few of the items that I know of so far:

Over 1,000 sets of BDUs, ACUs, Multicam, Digital, ATACS and Tactical uniforms
    Hundreds of pairs of various types of combat boots
    Hats, patrol caps, boonie hats, tactical caps, helmets, etc
    Firearm magazines
    Cold weather coats, hats, pants, boots, etc
    backpacks, duffel bags, tool bags, medical bags (many different types, sizes and colors)
    dozens of different sizes of pouches in different types and color patterns
    wool blankets
    pins, medals, ribbons and various other dress uniform items
    Gore-Tex items
    Flight jackets
    dozens of sleep systems with the Gore-Tex cover
    Pea coats
    Field desks
    Foot lockers
    Bullet proof vests and plates
    Bullet proof entry shields (the kind SWAT teams use with the bullet proof Plexiglas window)
    gas masks
    holsters
    boxes and boxes of knives
    dozens of nun-chucks, several different types
    a barrel full of swords
    Plus much, much more!

I just started going through this stuff today. I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I never know what I will find with each box I open!

If anyone is looking for something specific that I don't already have in the store, let me know and I'll keep my eyes open as I make my way through this stuff!

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    XL Navy Pea coat on my list.
    I know that there are some Navy Pea pea coats in there but I'm not sure yet where they are or what sizes are available. Pea coats are an item that I can order but don't usually keep in stock due to their extremely high price. If I find one in XL I'll save it for you and let you know. If I have one in this pile of stuff the price would be well below retail but XL is usually one of the first sizes to sell out, I'm not sure if I'll find one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I know that there are some Navy Pea pea coats in there but I'm not sure yet where they are or what sizes are available. Pea coats are an item that I can order but don't usually keep in stock due to their extremely high price. If I find one in XL I'll save it for you and let you know. If I have one in this pile of stuff the price would be well below retail but XL is usually one of the first sizes to sell out, I'm not sure if I'll find one.

I appreciate you looking. I'm in Elwood so I can jet over and visit on a Tuesday or Wednesday. (My days off)

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    We have been slowly making our way through this massive amount of surplus. It has required reorganization of the store (which was needed anyway) so it's taking time to find room for new merchandise. I'm not going to have room for everything, so we are going to start moving some of the slow moving merchandise into storage upstairs and in the warehouse. We are inventorying the merchandise that we are removing, so it will still be available if someone is looking for it (it just might take a little time to get to it).
    Suffice it to say, we have a lot of new inventory in store.
    I'm finding a ton of stuff that was not on the inventory (it feels like Christmas morning every time I go through this stuff, I never know what I'll find next!). At this point I'm not even sure how much stuff I bought, but I know it's a lot more than I originally thought!
    In the coming months, we will be bringing in even more new items.
    I'm thinking about knocking out a couple of walls eventually and making even more room in the store, I'm just not sure when I'll have time for renovations.
    Since I'm at a gun show pretty much every weekend, we have been working at the store on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday moving things around. The official hours are still the same (find them in my signature) but there is a good chance you can find someone there 6 days a week right now, it's still a good idea to call before you make a trip on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday just to make sure though.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    So... what kind of swords? Any real ones like Japanese WWII - or just cheap wall hangars?
    Nothing original that I have seen. I've sold several of the swords but still have a few left. So far they are all novelty or reproduction swords that I have come across.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    When will your website be up and running?
    That is a good question. The short answer is, I have no idea.

While I have every intention of getting more merchandise listed on the site, my schedule and constantly changing inventory has made it a challenge to say the least. I probably need to hire someone that is familiar with the type of items I sell and is also capable running a website, trustworthy and willing to work. I have yet to find such a person. I manage 4 different businesses and I'm out of town almost half of each week at a gun show. I am so busy I simply don't have the time to list items and still be able to control inventory between multiple sales locations and a website. We carry hundreds of brands and thousands of different items, I have difficulty even keeping track of inventory as it is.

If there is something specific you are looking for, send me a message or call the store and we will let you know if we have it.

Top Bottom