• ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Just a heads up.

As of August 31st, the Children's Museum will have a "preschool".

It is basically the same as the "focus group" classes they have always offered except now they won't allow you to take just one, you must sign up for at least one a week and call it "preschool".

I am pretty annoyed because the area around MLK and 21st (where I have to drive and wait at stoplights and only a couple blocks away from the museum) has one of the highest crime rates in the city. I'm not particularly worried about something happening in the museum, but the parking lot (backs up to ghetto) and driving to/from does concern me. It also stinks that someone coming from out of town that doesn't know will be caught with a strict liability law that they won't know they are breaking until after they get into the museum (even if they leave it in the car).

Thank God for the 4th Amendment.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Thanks for the heads up. They can call it a "preschool", but if it doesn't meet the legal definition of a school what they call it doesn't mean anything. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Do you think that the whole children's museum will be considered a pre-school or just the specific pre-school area?

I agree with you. I take my grandchildren there frequently and it is a tough area.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Here is the IC.

I don't know if it's a school or not.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From all appearances, this will be a real school. Section 24.11.D.iii.

D@mn! I was going to get a membership next year for our little girl. Now, I can't CC or even lock up in the parking garage. I really don't feel comfortable in that part of town, ESPECIALLY with my wife and child in tow.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Remember there was also a recent case where a drug dealer had additional charges added for dealing within 1000' of a school because he was near a community center that had a "preschool". It was not licensed, but the supreme court still ruled it a school. So even quasi-school/daycare places can count. This program often uses the museum area as a classroom, so I think it is pretty concrete.

As for school groups, while there has not been caselaw created yet, I still stand by my opinion that the law does not mean you cannot be in the same place as a school function, it means you cannot attend a school function. Otherwise you could be having coffee at a McDonalds and instantly become a felon when a big yellow bus pulls up.

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Well first of all this sounds like a program that wouldn't require a child care center license, so it would not fall under "(B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;"

IC 12-17.2-2-8
    Licensure exemptions
    Sec. 8. The division shall exempt from licensure the following programs:
    (4) A recreation program for children that operates for not more than ninety (90) days in a calendar year.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    Shame that I won't be able to take the little ones there anymore. I was planning to see my sister who lives in Indy in AUG and was hoping to stop by the museum. Now based on this no way.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i dont think this will affect carry in that facility. because from what i can tell since its no K-12 its not a true school. i know one person at least that it wont affect unless someone (a lawyer) can say yes or no. If its determined to be illegal to carry, then they just lost a lot of business.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wouldn't this match up with not being able to carry at a church that has child care?
    :dunno: The law is so gray in this area in IN that what this really means is we need to start a drive like we did with the LTHC DB not being public and finally have this "school law" changed!!!!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Time to complain about this to the powers that be and demand a change... I feel that this example could have legs since it's in such a bad area of town...

Top Bottom