• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hey I was wondering about knives laws in Indiana.
    I looked around online and couldnt find anything saying that it was elegal to carry a concealed folding knife on you even without any kind of permit.

I would like to know if its true, also is it the same thing about fixed blades?

What about LTCH and knives?

I know the LTCH is not a CCW, it allows you to carry any handgun you want (both OC or CC) but it doesnt say if you can carry any other type of weapons like with a CCW.

So if anyone could tell me if you can conceal carry folding knifes and fixed blades without any permit.Is that legal?

And if you cant do that without a permit (or even if you can) can you do it with your LTCH?

Thanks a lot if you can help me on that.

Also tell us if you carry any type of blade with your handgun.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    LTCH is ONLY for handguns. It does not allow any sort of privilege or right in regards to other weapons.

As far as I know, you can conceal a folding knife, as long as it is a legal knife in Indiana (someone else will have to post the restrictions on size, and "assisted" knives). There is no "permit" or "licensing" system for knives or other weapons in Indiana, outside of the LTCH, that I am aware of.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    There are no restrictions on the carry of knives. I carry several different sized knives, and once I get the sheath I want to replace the POS that my fixed blade is currently in, I'll carry that with my EDC again.

There are restrictions on the carry of other weapons that a LTCH does not cover, but I don't recall all of them off the top of my head. The LTCH is specifically for the carry of handguns.

The only illegal knives are switchblades and "throwing stars".

ETA: There are no restrictions on size or method of carry of knives.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    LTCH is ONLY for handguns. It does not allow any sort of privilege or right in regards to other weapons.

As far as I know, you can conceal a folding knife, as long as it is a legal knife in Indiana (someone else will have to post the restrictions on size, and "assisted" knives). There is no "permit" or "licensing" system for knives or other weapons in Indiana, outside of the LTCH, that I am aware of.

I couldnt find any restriction on size.
    Nothing about fixed blades either.

I bought a Ka-Bar TDI LDK, a little fixed blade to wear on the opposite side of my handgun to use as a gun retention emergency tool.

That would be silly to get busted for having a small knife when carrying a firearm is 100% legal.
    But I know some laws are really silly ... so I rather make sure its legal. :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There are no restrictions on the carry of knives.
    ETA: There are no restrictions on size or method of carry of knives.

Thanks for your post. :rockwoot:

:D The more I learn about laws in Indiana the more I love the state.

Even last week before I joined :ingo: I was not sure it was legal to OC in Indiana (even if I saw one guy OCing once).

Know that I know about OC I will let people know even if I dont plan on doing it myself.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Used to be that you might have issues with carrying larger knives. As a teenager, I had a need for a large knife on my SAR gear. I was warned by my dad, a LEO at the time, to not carry my larger knives unless I was specifically carrying it on SAR missions, just to avoid trouble.

Since then, the laws have changed, and I carry just as big a knife on my SAR gear as I do EDC.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Used to be that you might have issues with carrying larger knives. As a teenager, I had a need for a large knife on my SAR gear. I was warned by my dad, a LEO at the time, to not carry my larger knives unless I was specifically carrying it on SAR missions, just to avoid trouble.

Since then, the laws have changed, and I carry just as big a knife on my SAR gear as I do EDC.

Ok I got "LEO" and "EDC" but what is "SAR"? :dunno:

I looked it up, I dont think it means "Sexual Attitude Restructuring" :laugh:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    A word of caution to you folks. some towns and other municipalities have restrictions on knife carry. Avon, for example, defines a "dangerous knife" as any knife having a blade over 3.5" fixed, or folding, and it is illegal to carry this kind of knife within town limits. The punishment is a $250-$2500 fine.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    A word of caution to you folks. some towns and other municipalities have restrictions on knife carry. Avon, for example, defines a "dangerous knife" as any knife having a blade over 3.5" fixed, or folding, and it is illegal to carry this kind of knife within town limits. The punishment is a $250-$2500 fine.

Is there any way to find out what areas have such BS restrictions?

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    So wait, If I wanted to carry, say, a 7" KaBar, I could do that? I always thought it was 4" folding, 6" fixed, at least thats what the old timers used to tell us as kids.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Close. A LTCH is also required for a taser or stun weapon.
    Indiana Code 35-47-8

Brian Ciyou covers them in the latest revision of his book, this is where I found most of them.

Thanks for that info.

Wow. I gotta get that book.

Agreed

So wait, If I wanted to carry, say, a 7" KaBar, I could do that? I always thought it was 4" folding, 6" fixed, at least thats what the old timers used to tell us as kids.

Under state law yes you can. As posted in this thread local ordinances may vary. I used to think and was told at a knife store that the legal blade length for carry was 3 and 1/8 in. I have no idea if that used to be the law and it was changed or if that is/was a local ordinance for where it was at, or if they were just making BS up. :dunno:

Top Bottom