• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is a fine example of how to exert your rights in the face of government agents. Do not be bullied, and do not allow them to escalate the situation by consenting to requests that are not backed by any legal statute.

Know your rights. It takes cajones to stand up for them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwQQSo9YX4"]YouTube - Santa Fe Police Confront Man for Open Carring Legally[/ame]

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    WOW this guy is smart and stupid. He did a good job standing up for his rights, but walking up to an officer with a video camera and OC IMHO is not very smart.

LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    you can't just walk up to a cop with open carry while he is pulling someone over, how is he supposed to know that he isn't pulling over a fugitive and about to be ambushed...personally i think he was lucky the cop was so lenient during the approach.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    this video has been posted and discussed here before. the guy was an IDIOT for walking up to a cop like that. If he would have been detained for that I would have supported the police. They could have claimed officer safety that time and I would have agreed.

I dont agree with targeting police so you can make videos for youtube. dont give this guy credit by saying he has balls. he doesnt! he just doesnt have any brains.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I agree the guy was looking for an argument. But this proves the point that "some officers" are idiots. Sometimes you have to deal with A holes. The officer should be smart enough to know the laws which clearly this one does not. This guy(idiot) did not put them in any danger. Felons do not carry openly, they hide what they are doing.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    What if he was just walking past the officer's traffic stop minding his own business, would the officer have stopped him ? What if there was the guy open carrying, & someone else with the video camera ? It could have ended quickly by showing his I.D. The cops need to be concerned about their safety. I also understand the guys point.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    What if he was just walking past the officer's traffic stop minding his own business, would the officer have stopped him ? What if there was the guy open carrying, & someone else with the video camera ? It could have ended quickly by showing his I.D. The cops need to be concerned about their safety. I also understand the guys point.

That would have just added another idiot to the mix.:dunno:

If I was this officer I would have been very worried about this first guy. If 2 guys showed up one with a video cam and another OC a gun, I do believe my own gun would be upholstered.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    He's certainly got balls doing what he did but WOW he asked for the hassle with the police. Pretty dumb IMO. I prefer to NOT have confrontations with the police.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    That would have just added another idiot to the mix.:dunno:

If I was this officer I would have been very worried about this first guy. If 2 guys showed up one with a video cam and another OC a gun, I do believe my own gun would be upholstered.

Because two law abiding citizens are a threat right? :rolleyes:

Seriously, if someone is scared of their own shadow or have something to hide, they shouldn't be a LEO.

Was the guy in the video a bit of a doof? (for walking up quite like he did) Yes.

Was he within the law? Yes.

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I don't like seeing videos like this. Being right and being smart are two different things. I don't see the point in starting an argument just to prove you are right.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I in no shape way or form can justify the actions of the guy with the camera. He was clearly looking for a fight, why go out and find trouble. As a person let alone a LEO, if I was in a parking lot and some guy was walking around video taping me while OCing I would have to think twice about what was going on. So yes, I would be concerned for my safety. Why should the LEO, who puts his safety on the line everyday not be? This is not cut and dry like some are wanting it to be, it's not just another guy OCing walking around. This guy was OCing(which I have no problem with), video taping an officer, and started by walking up to the officer(#1 sign of confrontation). There are to many variables against this man to blow the situation off.

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    He's certainly got balls doing what he did but WOW he asked for the hassle with the police. Pretty dumb IMO. I prefer to NOT have confrontations with the police.

Alright, I'm going to have to right a disclaimer for this one and it is going to be a bit of a rant. I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular but this quote pretty much sums up everything I hate about the way current society thinks.

The problem is we are on a grand spiral downhill. No one wants to 'confront' officers and public officials about blatant lies and over stepping the boundaries of their power. So a little later they tell worst lies and over step their power even more and still no-one stands up to them because they fear 'confrontation'. Pretty soon what was once considered grounds for public lynching is met with 'well they all do it' and '15 minutes of my time and compliance is better than arguing with a cop'.

You say this guy was 'stupid/crazy/etc.'; well sometime in our nations past the people then would say we are the stupid ones for giving up our own personal freedoms and responsibilities as citizens for allowing 'public officials/servants' to CONTROL us, just so we can sit on our couches, watch our TV's, and ignore the world around us.

I have nothing against Police Officers, so please do not take what I say as disrespect. However, this video was a perfect example of how cops can use the system and LIE to the public so that they can achieve their objectives. What was the point of asking a guy for his ID after observing him for sometime and concluding that he means no violent harm? INTIMIDATION, SUBJUGATION, and CONTROL. And the big problem is that we have all GROWN so used to this, that we now consider it normal instead of abnormal.

The cop can claim 'officer safety' right when the guy is walking straight towards him (however OCing a gun should not matter in this case; anyone directly walking towards an officer during a police action could be considered a possible threat, if anything the fact that he had a camera and OCing should have DECREASED the officer's fear of violent confrontation because this man was clearly not trying to blend in and sneak up on the cop). BUT to claim 'officer safety' long after the traffic stop was over and the guy walked away....B***S***!

One last observation, this video was made in NM where anyone can OC, but it takes special permit to conceal. Thus you have to remember to change your 'CC preferred' perspective and acknowledge the cultural differences, since over there CC is much less common. And I know from speaking to those in OC states that some of them view CCers as 'people with something to hide'.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What was the point of asking a guy for his ID after observing him for sometime and concluding that he means no violent harm? INTIMIDATION, SUBJUGATION, and CONTROL. And the big problem is that we have all GROWN so used to this, that we now consider it normal instead of abnormal.

The cop can claim 'officer safety' right when the guy is walking straight towards him (however OCing a gun should not matter in this case; anyone directly walking towards an officer during a police action could be considered a possible threat, if anything the fact that he had a camera and OCing should have DECREASED the officer's fear of violent confrontation because this man was clearly not trying to blend in and sneak up on the cop). BUT to claim 'officer safety' long after the traffic stop was over and the guy walked away....B***S***!

Yeah that was the worst part -- they went well out of their way to follow him and mess with him after it was totally obvious he meant no harm. He even obeyed the cops requests to stand on the other side of the street. There is nothing illegal about standing near a cop, and these requests are not legal obligations.

"Hey! About 15 minutes ago I felt endangered by you standing on the same street as me. Lets see some ID."

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    It's not something I would do and not something I'd recommend for people to do very regularly.

That said, having a guy do it once to prove a point and make people aware of their rights in the process - I've got no problem with it.

I actually didn't know the cops could lie to obtain consent. Now I do.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom