• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was down in Lafayette with the family to do some shopping and went to HuHots for dinner. Evidently some customers said something to the manager and he called the police.

I was just about ready to get up and get another bowl when I see two LPD walk in, I kinda figured what they were there for and I was right. I got up and started walking to the buffet and here they come. The one officer said "Indiana is an open carry state, but it's not smart". I replied I disagree. He then said he was going to untuck my shirt and cover it up, I said no but not sure if he heard me or not. He went to reach for my shirt and I told him no again, he kinda blinked like he was surprised but stopped. He then said if I wouldn't cover it, the manager wanted me to leave. I didn't want to tick off my wife, so I told him if the manager was the one requesting, I would cover it up.

He then asked me to sit down at a empty table while his partner went to talk to the manager. And asked for my ID, I gave him my LTCH and he said I meant your Drivers license. I know I didn't have to give it too him, but I said the heck with it and did. He called it in and I came back clean. About this time his partner came back from talking to the manager and said okay he's fine with him staying as long as he covers it up. The officer told me thank you and to enjoy the rest of your dinner.

After we had finished eating I asked for the manager, and had a long talk with him about it. A very long polite but pissed :xmad: talk. I told him I was pissed about having the police called on me and if he wanted me to cover it up he should of just came up to the table and asked, that's when he told me the regional manager was in the restaurant earlier and told him to call. I let him know that I would be contacting corporate and he told me that corporate is the one that told him to call, I also told him that I would be posting about it on several firearm forums, including the one I had heard about the place on, and that it has over 14k members.

My wife gave him a piece of her mind too, letting him know that it was pretty obvious we were just a family out for dinner and not there to rob and shoot up the place. And that our 5 year old daughter who was sitting there would of gotten quite upset if she had noticed the two LEO walking up and talking to her Daddy.

After he left the table, he had to have ran to call the regional manager and came back out just as I was about to walk out the door. He said that there was a misunderstanding and that they didn't call the police. :rolleyes: And if I would the regional manager would like to speak with me. The RM apologized and said that they didn't call the police it must of been a customer, I told him what the manager said and he said he would get it straightened out and asked me to hand the phone back. They talked on the phone for a minute or two and then he hung up. He said he thought the RM had called because he told him about it and then walked away. But the RM and the district manager had talked and decided to not get involved. So I then reminded him what he said at the table, where he said he called and that he was told to, and then turned around and walked out the door.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    It is a shame that many citizens are becoming conditioned to being afraid of concealed weapons. I think the media is mostly to blame for planting that fear.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Wow. At least Ill say this about the cops, judging from your story, they seemed to treat you somewhat okay, that is, didn't put you in cuffs and stir up a whole other issue. As to this place, I am not familiar with them but I can tell you one thing for sure, I will not be going there any time soon.
    :ingo::starwars:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I was down in Lafayette with the family to do some shopping and went to HuHots for dinner. Evidently some customers said something to the manager and he called the police.

I was just about ready to get up and get another bowl when I see two LPD walk in, I kinda figured what they were there for and I was right. I got up and started walking to the buffet and here they come. The one officer said "Indiana is an open carry state, but it's not smart". I replied I disagree. He then said he was going to untuck my shirt and cover it up, I said no but not sure if he heard me or not. He went to reach for my shirt and I told him no again, he kinda blinked like he was surprised but stopped. He then said if I wouldn't cover it, the manager wanted me to leave. I didn't want to tick off my wife, so I told him if the manager was the one requesting, I would cover it up.

He then asked me to sit down at a empty table while his partner went to talk to the manager. And asked for my ID, I gave him my LTCH and he said I meant your Drivers license. I know I didn't have to give it too him, but I said the heck with it and did. He called it in and I came back clean. About this time his partner came back from talking to the manager and said okay he's fine with him staying as long as he covers it up. The officer told me thank you and to enjoy the rest of your dinner.

After we had finished eating I asked for the manager, and had a long talk with him about it. A very long polite but pissed :xmad: talk. I told him I was pissed about having the police called on me and if he wanted me to cover it up he should of just came up to the table and asked, that's when he told me the regional manager was in the restaurant earlier and told him to call. I let him know that I would be contacting corporate and he told me that corporate is the one that told him to call, I also told him that I would be posting about it on several firearm forums, including the one I had heard about the place on, and that it has over 14k members.

My wife gave him a piece of her mind too, letting him know that it was pretty obvious we were just a family out for dinner and not there to rob and shoot up the place. And that our 5 year old daughter who was sitting there would of gotten quite upset if she had noticed the two LEO walking up and talking to her Daddy.

After he left the table, he had to have ran to call the regional manager and came back out just as I was about to walk out the door. He said that there was a misunderstanding and that they didn't call the police. :rolleyes: And if I would the regional manager would like to speak with me. The RM apologized and said that they didn't call the police it must of been a customer, I told him what the manager said and he said he would get it straightened out and asked me to hand the phone back. They talked on the phone for a minute or two and then he hung up. He said he thought the RM had called because he told him about it and then walked away. But the RM and the district manager had talked and decided to not get involved. So I then reminded him what he said at the table, where he said he called and that he was told to, and then turned around and walked out the door.

So in all honesty would not it make more sense to carry the thing concealed and avoid all the other mess? It is a fact of life in our society that many people don't feel comfortable seeing someone openly carrying a firearm,especially in a family type place like you were at. Think about it man.:twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Outstanding. Out of rep but I owe you.

I'm all out of rep right now, but tomorrow I'll rep you
    I got him. ;)
    So in all honesty would not it make more sense to carry the thing concealed and avoid all the other mess? It is a fact of life in our society that many people don't feel comfortable seeing someone openly carrying a firearm,especially in a family type place like you were at. Think about it man.:twocents:
    No, it would not, not unless their discomfort takes precedence over his rights. At one time (within many of our lifetimes at that!) people might not have been comfortable seeing an interracial couple out openly in a family-type restaurant. The OC/CC arguments have been thoroughly hashed out, but to me, the kicker is that when the LPD officers walked in, their guns were openly displayed. It's not that people are uncomfortable seeing someone openly carrying a firearm, it's that people are unaccustomed to seeing someone other than a cop doing so. How else are they going to learn that the person controls the gun, not vice versa, unless they start seeing people simply out to eat dinner, being polite, well-mannered, well-dressed, and oh, by the way, they're also armed?

Tim, I could be mistaken, but I think that all 911 calls are a matter of public record. You could probably obtain a recording of that call and ascertain if the caller identified him- or herself as the local, regional, or district manager of Huhot. If you decide to do so, please let me know what you find out. My wife and I like that place, and while I don't choose to OC, I also choose not to support places that are openly anti-rights. That said, however, if Huhot's management did apologize to you and claim they didn't call after the long talk you had with him, perhaps he's seen the error of his ways. It will be interesting to find out, and if they are now pro-rights, da*n skippy I'm going to support them.

Blessings,
    Bill

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Uhhh...

Let me think on it...

NO!!!

Besides I was always told when I was growing up only a Criminal tucks their weapons in...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

In all honesty, don't you get tired of spouting the same useless drivel? Face it, people that have made the choice to OC are not going to be swayed by the same argument you insert in every OC thread.

Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    You were OCing?! OMG, cover that thing up! Think of the children! Their poor little eyes shouldn't see such things!!! :facepalm:

If you don't cover up, it might jump out of your holster and start shooting up the place!!!

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    I`m still trying to figure out what kind of food they have, that requires you to take a bowl to the buffet :):

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    He then said he was going to untuck my shirt and cover it up, I said no but not sure if he heard me or not. He went to reach for my shirt and I told him no again, he kinda blinked like he was surprised but stopped.

This is the point where I would have gone to jail if I had been in your shoes. :xmad:

I salute your restraint, good sir. :yesway:

johnsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    All in all, I think the cops did a fine job. OC is a political statement, one which I support, but it will take a long time with episodes like this to make it seem natural. As a society, we have been conditioned for almost 100 years now that carrying a gun is an anomaly. We need to keep our cool, not be beligerant, and just press on. These episodes will repeat and we must be patient.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sounds like the manager, regional manager, district manager and whoever else was backpedaling when confronted should go to work for the current admin in Washington, man were they spinning! Go on you TJBB for standing up!!

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    "And that our 5 year old daughter who was sitting there would of gotten quite upset if she had noticed the two LEO walking up and talking to her Daddy."

Why would a child get upset seeing her daddy talking to LE?
    Have you conditioned her to somehow fear LE?
    The LE were well within their lawful/legal rights to speak with you.
    Does your daughter's "getting upset" at the sight of LE conversing with daddy somehow trump a patron's concern at the sight of a firearm?

Top Bottom