• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zx6rman96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I tried to search this particular question but could find a definitive answer. Just curious if one was to get pulled over for speeding....are you supposed to immediately identify you are carrying a firearm, or is it our right to not too? I seen on Alaska State Troopers ( great show) that some guy told the officer about 2min into the conversation that he was carrying his firearm with him, Cop got pissed and confiscated his gun, but let the guy go. Anyone wanna shed some light...:dunno:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I was a passenger in a car that was pulled over a month ago...

I had a G19 semi concealed and a spare mag and didn't say a word. I never even thought about it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I got pulled over by ISP 2 weeks ago, It was early AM on the way to the firehouse and he had his flashlight pointed at my wallet as I pulled out my DL, I handed it and Registration to him, there is no way he missed the little pink paper under my DL and never batted an eye. G19 was by my right leg. Clearly he didn't care. In the past I have handed my LTCH with my DL to an officer, and it has always been handed back, and told not to reach for it during the stop.

This thread has made it blatantly clear that I get pulled over way to often :D

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    After spending some time in this forum I can say that I wouldn't lie if asked, but I certainly wouldn't volunteer the info. It seems that too many cops just don't know the law.

If you're carrying legally, it would be like handing the officer your library card too. What's the point?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I never volunteered and got tickets for speeding. The last time I got pulled over, I handed over the pink paper with my license, got a warning and well wishes. To give it all due diligence, I was OC in the truck. However, I believe I will use this tactic to avoid tickets in the future.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I never volunteered and got tickets for speeding. The last time I got pulled over, I handed over the pink paper with my license, got a warning and well wishes. To give it all due diligence, I was OC in the truck. However, I believe I will use this tactic to avoid tickets in the future.

It most certainly depends on the officer, but I've heard several officers on this site say that, as long as the driver wasn't being completely reckless, if someone willingly hands them their LTCH along with DL and registration, they let them off with a warning...Unfortunately not all officers believe we are worthy of possessing firearms like they do, so YMMV.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Truthfully ladies and gentleman seriously think about this for a second. I dont want to **** everyone here off but if any one watches the news you would know that the numbers of officers killed in the line of duty is way up this year. We look for weapons when you are stopped or when out on a call. I completely understand some of you have had bad experiences when notifying LE of your weapon and am very sorry for this. But please keep this in mind, would you rather be polite and give the officer a heads up or not inform and take the chance of him or her seeing it and the simple situation turn south. I have yet to write a ticket or disarm someone who's been completely polite. Also take into consideration the numbers of firearms that are stolen each year. All the officer is doing is making sure your weapon is not a stolen one. Out of all the private sales that go on its very easy that a stolen firearm could make its way into the hand of a honest upstanding citizen. Again I hope no one takes offence to this.. Just something to think about.

Anelson

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sorry, not gonna fly. When I inform you that I have a firearm, I will also volunteer my LTCH. That's all you need to put the issue to rest. I will not consent to an unlawful search of my person or my PROPERTY, which means you have no right to take possession of my firearm, which includes "checking to see if it's stolen". To be clear, I will not resist your unlawful seizure, but I will not assist you in violating my 4th amendment rights. You're going to have to take it. If you decide to take my firearm unlawfully, then, as far as I'm concerned, my firearm has been stolen. By you.

I understand that officer safety is a concern, but the courts have ruled that you can't claim officer safety if the person is not giving you a reason for concern. I will be that person, and I expect to be treated with the same respect I'm giving you. Just something for you to think about.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    In response to your private sales argument. Do you really think that it would bode well for me if I purchased a firearm, in good faith, and it came back as stolen? I'm still going to be charged with receiving stolen property, aren't I? Are you telling me you would believe, for a second, that I had no idea it was stolen? No, you would slap the cuffs on, go home at the end of your shift, and leave me to deal with the mess.

All the more reason to not consent to an unlawful search.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Rookie I actually agree with you. If you dont give the officer a reason to search then your LTCH should be enough. My comment was structured more around being asked about weapons and not advising you have a firearm. I'm not sure on policy but most officers ask if you have weapons in the vehicle in one way or another. As stated above this is personal experience, I've been on the other side with a bad experience myself but I still always let the officer know that I'm carrying a firearm.

Edit adding..
    You would be charged with receiving stolen property, but as stated above the individual would have to given a reason to search. It is not the officers job to be the judge whether or not you legally purchased the firearm or actually stole it. Again the individual would have to have given the officer a reason to search in the first place.

Last edited:

kennys_67

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Owen County, Indiana
    I volunteered that info with a putnam county sheriff car. He asked if it was loaded, I affirmed, he asked to see it and my license, ran the numbers on it gave it back with the mag out and said, "just to let you know, the pistol came back clean"
    that was it. But then I thought to myself, I may not do that again

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I will no longer inform that I am carrying on a traffic stop.

If I am asked about firearms, I will not answer.

I will politely defend my rights and simply ask why I'm being detained.

The few who are willing to violate my rights have ruined it for the many who wouldn't.

If the many ever get the few back in check, I might let them know again in the future. Maybe.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I will no longer inform that I am carrying on a traffic stop.

If I am asked about firearms, I will not answer.

I will politely defend my rights and simply ask why I'm being detained.

The few who are willing to violate my rights have ruined it for the many who wouldn't.

If the many ever get the few back in check, I might let them know again in the future. Maybe.
    ^^^^^:rockwoot:^^^^^^

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Truthfully ladies and gentleman seriously think about this for a second. I dont want to **** everyone here off but if any one watches the news you would know that the numbers of officers killed in the line of duty is way up this year. We look for weapons when you are stopped or when out on a call. I completely understand some of you have had bad experiences when notifying LE of your weapon and am very sorry for this. But please keep this in mind, would you rather be polite and give the officer a heads up or not inform and take the chance of him or her seeing it and the simple situation turn south. I have yet to write a ticket or disarm someone who's been completely polite. Also take into consideration the numbers of firearms that are stolen each year. All the officer is doing is making sure your weapon is not a stolen one. Out of all the private sales that go on its very easy that a stolen firearm could make its way into the hand of a honest upstanding citizen. Again I hope no one takes offence to this.. Just something to think about.

Anelson

I hope you feel safer knowing that my position used to be to inform, now, because of what some officers do, I will NEVER inform. So are you safer now that people who would have politely informed will now keep quiet about it? No checks, no disarming, no hassle. Just a lot more guns that you don't know we have.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I would hand the officer my LTCH with my license and cooperate from there. However, given no further probable cause I see no reason for him to run a check on my firearm. If I'm carrying other property on my person or in my vehicle, does he have the need or right to run a check on all of it? I don't think so.

Top Bottom