• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    So I just ran to Kroger to get a couple of things (pop, ice cream, typical 1am stuff) and, on my way back into my apartment complex, I saw the IMPD red and blues going behind me. I stopped and turned my vehicle off. The officer walked up to my window as I was thumbing through my wallet to get my license. I handed him my DL and he proceeded to ask me if there were any guns in the car. I told him that I did have one and that it was on my right hip.

This is where it gets weird. He didn't want me to get out of the Jeep; just told me to keep my hands on the wheel. He said that he saw my LTCH under my DL and figured that I had one on me. Anyways, he proceeds to reach through my rolled-down window, across my body, and through my outstretched arms to disarm me. I carry a PF-9 with a belt clip IWB and I drive a Cherokee with almost five inches of lift, so it wasn't the easiest thing to retrieve. I was a little sketched since there was one in the pipe (told him so), but he acted like he does it forty times a day. It was awkward.

So he got my pistol and went back to his car for a while. Upon return, he handed me the cleared round and put my Kel-Tec in the back seat. He then said I was free to go. That was all. Didn't even tell me why he pulled me over. Is this normal protocol?

He was a nice enough guy, but I kind of feel owed an explanation. I guess I'll never know...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You probably won't know since you didn't ask. I'm glad he didn't accidentally shoot you, but maybe your PF-9 has one of those safeties on it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    So I just ran to Kroger to get a couple of things (pop, ice cream, typical 1am stuff) and, on my way back into my apartment complex, I saw the IMPD red and blues going behind me. I stopped and turned my vehicle off. The officer walked up to my window as I was thumbing through my wallet to get my license. I handed him my DL and he proceeded to ask me if there were any guns in the car. I told him that I did have one and that it was on my right hip.

This is where it gets weird. He didn't want me to get out of the Jeep; just told me to keep my hands on the wheel. He said that he saw my LTCH under my DL and figured that I had one on me. Anyways, he proceeds to reach through my rolled-down window, across my body, and through my outstretched arms to disarm me. I carry a PF-9 with a belt clip IWB and I drive a Cherokee with almost five inches of lift, so it wasn't the easiest thing to retrieve. I was a little sketched since there was one in the pipe (told him so), but he acted like he does it forty times a day. It was awkward.

So he got my pistol and went back to his car for a while. Upon return, he handed me the cleared round and put my Kel-Tec in the back seat. He then said I was free to go. That was all. Didn't even tell me why he pulled me over. Is this normal protocol?

He was a nice enough guy, but I kind of feel owed an explanation. I guess I'll never know...
    Whats with the back seat routine? That is strange.:rolleyes:

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    You probably won't know since you didn't ask. I'm glad he didn't accidentally shoot you, but maybe your PF-9 has one of those safeties on it.

You mean you haven't seen that new-fangled multi-safe Kel-Tec? :D
    I was a dummy for not asking. That's what I get for being in a hurry.

Whats with the back seat routine? That is strange.:rolleyes:

It is apparently the cool thing to do these days. A co-worker of mine got pulled over the other day and it was the same deal. Gun to the back seat.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You mean you haven't seen that new-fangled multi-safe Kel-Tec? :D
    I was a dummy for not asking. That's what I get for being in a hurry.

It is apparently the cool thing to do these days. A co-worker of mine got pulled over the other day and it was the same deal. Gun to the back seat.

You and your coworker should quit telling them you have firearms if you don't like them taken away, cleared and put in the back seat.

You can just ask, "why am I being detained?"

It saves time and ensures a safer encounter for everyone. :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...should quit telling them you have firearms...

I'm getting the pole and tackle out of the truck at Lake Lemon. Second time in a week I've been checked by CO's. Small talk about spinning reels as I drag out the wallet, (from the weak side.)

CO doesn't really act too concerned as I fumble for my fishing license. Nicely enough, he says "if you can't find it, just let me have your driver's license." I didn't get it, but I gave him my drivers license.

As I find the fishing license, I wave it to him after calling in my DL. As he is reading my lifetime hunting and fishing license the call comes back clear on his walkie about my clean driving record. Don't get it on why the check??? He says thanks and proceeds on to others fishing.

BTW - Hard to believe he did not see the "pink paper," seemingly designed to stick out beyond the others in your wallet. The whole ordeal happened face to face while I "hid" a 1911, two mags and two front pocket Emersons under a Tshirt.

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    the back seat thing happend to me before. asked my friendly neighborhood cop and he said... well it gives the officer time to get back and into a safer position before u can get your weapon and shoot his ass

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    well it gives the officer time to get back and into a safer position

Safer than climbing into the driver's lap to retrieve the gun to begin with? If he's such a danger that this backseat nonsense is even necessary, why give the gun back and let him go?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Anyways, he proceeds to reach through my rolled-down window, across my body, and through my outstretched arms to disarm me.

I can't see how this is accomplished without sweeping several body parts...
    If he was personally retrieving your carry, I guess you should just be glad you weren't deep concealing... :n00b:

P.S. You should have asked why you were being pulled over.

Top Bottom