Cop car pulled in my driveway 10 minutes ago...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ...to do an inspection on my new sailboat. It's a YFlyer, pretty nice boat. Anyways, I'm open-carrying as usual and the officer does his thing with the boat and then turns to me and says "How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house." I tell him that "With all due respect sir, I am on private property." Then he says that he understands that, but "Someone carrying a gun makes an officer nervous." I told him thank you for the advice and have a nice day.

I'm saddened that the public and officers are so nervous at the idea of law-abiding people carrying. He was very professional, so no complaints there. He was simply offering his opinion.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this sad view that people have of gun owners?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    We could try being cordial, friendly, good ambassadors representing gun owners as something other than 2a/conspiracy/anti-government activists...? No, that would come across as being sheep and giving in to the man, so that's out. Hmm. What else?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    ...to do an inspection on my new sailboat. It's a YFlyer, pretty nice boat. Anyways, I'm open-carrying as usual and the officer does his thing with the boat and then turns to me and says "How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house." I tell him that "With all due respect sir, I am on private property." Then he says that he understands that, but "Someone carrying a gun makes an officer nervous." I told him thank you for the advice and have a nice day.

I'm saddened that the public and officers are so nervous at the idea of law-abiding people carrying. He was very professional, so no complaints there. He was simply offering his opinion.

You could have told him, that you are meeting him on EQUAL terms:D

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    No, sorry, I wasn't very clear -- I wasn't saying he did anything wrong, just responding to the last part of his post asking what we can do to improve the situation. I think we can do a better job of representing the community, in many cases. I think we can go out of our way to be friendly, we can try to understand other people's positions before trying to ram ours down their throats, etc. And sometimes you'll get a guy who's having a bad day or is just a prick, and then you'll have to figure out whether to respond in kind or to try to diffuse the situation and improve relations in some future encounter. Just basic PR.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    uhh... was he there on an invitation from the property owner? otherwise he shouldn't have been there.

Either way, he should be ok with someone carrying on their own property, and treat you with respect.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

Officers are nervous because 38 of them have been murdered so far this year by gunfire.
    He didn't know you personally and had no way of knowing if you were a decent guy, or someone who called an LEO to his house with the intention of ambushing him.
    (Yup, that's happened this year.)
    Sounds like he was professional, and courteous, and you acted politely and without provocation. :yesway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    No, sorry, I wasn't very clear -- I wasn't saying he did anything wrong, just responding to the last part of his post asking what we can do to improve the situation. I think we can do a better job of representing the community, in many cases. I think we can go out of our way to be friendly, we can try to understand other people's positions before trying to ram ours down their throats, etc. And sometimes you'll get a guy who's having a bad day or is just a prick, and then you'll have to figure out whether to respond in kind or to try to diffuse the situation and improve relations in some future encounter. Just basic PR.

Wait, did you not just imply in the other thread that the attitude of one guy gets to determined the attitude of another?

Officers are nervous because 38 of them have been murdered so far this year by gunfire.
    He didn't know you personally and had no way of knowing if you were a decent guy, or someone who called an LEO to his house with the intention of ambushing him.
    Sounds like he was not professional, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] although courteous, and you acted politely and without provocation. :yesway:

That is rather more accurate, IMO.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    uhh... was he there on an invitation from the property owner? otherwise he shouldn't have been there.

Either way, he should be ok with someone carrying on their own property, and treat you with respect.

Okay here goes.

...to do an inspection on my new sailboat.
    ..."How about next time an officer comes out to your house, you leave the pistol in the house."

Also I wasn't there so I cannot speak to the tone but since when is offering an opinion (especially when if differs with your own) automatically not treating someone with respect?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Wait, did you not just imply in the other thread that the attitude of one guy gets to determined the attitude of another?

This is becoming so tedious that I'm starting wonder if you're joking. Or trolling. I don't know how to be more clear in my belief that the mood of most encounters is determined by BOTH PARTIES. I don't know you, so maybe you are trying to make some point here... I hope so, because I don't know how to be more clear if you're really missing that BOTH PEOPLE part.

Edit: I guess if you're arguing with my position that one person's attitude and demeanor and body language will play a part in the other person's reaction, we just have a fundamental disagreement. Trying to understand what you're saying, just not sure I'm getting it. If your position is that one person's behavior/attitude/words/etc in an encounter should have no effect on the other's, I guess I can agree that in a perfect world, maybe that would be true. But on THIS planet, dealing with other human beings who think and have their own lives and worries and emotions, I've never found this to be the case.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Sounds like he was professional, and courteous, and you acted politely and without provocation. :yesway:

How many citizens have been killed by LEO this year;)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    We could try being cordial, friendly, good ambassadors representing gun owners as something other than 2a/conspiracy/anti-government activists...? No, that would come across as being sheep and giving in to the man, so that's out. Hmm. What else?

Yeah, because standing up for your rights while being in full compliance with the law on your ow property is rude and disrespectful.

:rolleyes:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Make more of us.

Take someone who has never shot before and take them shooting. Make sure you teach them safety and responsibility and make sure they have such a good time they become a gunowner themselves. Then hammer on them that they owe you a debt for introducing them to the fine world of firearms and that debt is to introduce someone else to firearms.

That's my plan. There's more of us every day because some of us are out there constantly promoting, constantly teaching and constantly sharing. I love new shooters. I love new shooters. I love new shooters.

:twocents:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Yeah, because standing up for your rights while being in full compliance with the law on your ow property is rude and disrespectful.

:rolleyes:

1. Catch up - I clarified that I wasn't saying anything about the OP being disrespectful, just responding to the last question in his post.

2. I would humbly submit that you absolutely can stand up for your rights without being disrespectful, or, more to the point, without escalating the situation. I'll put money on my ability to get totally different reactions from people based on HOW I approach them and assert my rights, ESPECIALLY if I happen to be carrying a gun.

We keep hearing about how LEOs are playground bullies and enjoy asserting their authority, but I think there are a fair number of people around here who have some insecurity issues, who maybe had their lunch taken one too many times and now are way too eager to escalate a situation because now, "I have a gun, I know my rights, and NOBODY's telling ME what to do anymore!"

And no, that statement's not directed at anyone in particular.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I honestly wouldn't have said anything about him OCing on his property. But, in the back of my mind, I would be asking myself "why" a person at his own residence, would be carrying a weapon on his hip. Obviously this was VIN check, which are low priority calls. Often people wait a good while for an officer to arrive. So it begs the question, was the OP carrying the entire time, prior to the arrival of the officer, or did he "holster up" to see the officer's response and post it here? Inspection was completed "ten minutes ago" well, what do most people do then? They go to the BMV and submit their paperwork, but apparently this was too good a story not to post up first.

Of course, that is all conjecture. The OP may have very well been doing something else, prior, in which he decided to OC, but for a guy like me who has a hard enough time wearing a shirt and shoes around the house, it does make one wonder.... only wonder though, the fact that he was OCing would tend to make me believe he was law abiding, and thus there not being a need to say anything.

Top Bottom