• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Would like to know pros and cons of various carry options that people have experienced. ie pocket, iwb, ankle. Just bought a Ruger lcr and now need a holster.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster in my right front pants pocket. I make sure the pocket is big enough and deep enough when I buy trousers.
    The good:
    The trigger is covered.
    It is well concealed.
    Its always the same place.
    If things look like they might get dangerous, I can put my hand on my gun without arousing suspicion.

The bad:
    It is hard to reach quickly while seated.
    You can't put much else in that pocket.

My preferred carry method for over a decade.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I've been carrying a LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis holster for almost 2 years. I carry it in my front left (strong side) pocket. I do not keep anything else in that pocket though. I carry a HKS speedloader in my right front pocket.

I do have an Uncle Mike's ankle holster for it, but I use it very little. Usually only on occasions where I have to dress up and pocket holster causes a noticeable bulge.

I agree with the previous poster's pros/cons.

Which LCR model did you get? I bought the one with the big dot front night sight and ordered a set of the Hogue Tamer grips from Ruger and put them on it.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster in my right front pants pocket. I make sure the pocket is big enough and deep enough when I buy trousers.
    The good:
    The trigger is covered.
    It is well concealed.
    If things look like they might get dangerous, I can put my hand on my gun without arousing suspicion.

The bad:

What he said. I carry a S&W 642 the same way at time.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The good:
    The trigger is covered.
    It is well concealed.

The bad:

Not to be redundant, but possum nailed it on the head. My pocket carry is an m&p340. He is also dead-on with it being nice to have hands on the grip in some unpleasant circumstances (twice for me). For some reason, folks don't connect pockets with guns.

Another pro, if the revolver is lite enough, is that you can pocket it in shorts or jogging pants you wear around the house, thus always being armed.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So far I have not found any cons with carrying a revolver either IWB or in a pocket. I recently added a concealed hammer snubbie to my carry options and really enjoy it. I use both IWB if it is my primary weapon and pocket if it is my BUG. Lightweight, reliable, and easy to draw. Like others have already said, the pocket is great because you can have your hand in your pocket with a full grip on the gun and most people would not have any idea. Also handy in the winter when you have more layers on you can carry it in a coat pocket if you wish.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Previous posters have pretty well said all that needs to be said. Pocket carried my LCR, before I foolishly sold it, in a RKBA Holster. Also used a Nemisis, but it was a little too thick for my pockets. But a good holster...

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have several holsters for the snubby. I prefer an IWB or a pocket holster. Just got a sticky holster for my S&W 642. For $25 it offers a lot of flexibility. Not the best for every situation but worth a look.

tge45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Allen CO
    I also like pocket carry with a DeSantis pocket holster for my Cobra. Practice your pocket draw frequently and live fire when you con. You may be surprised how difficult some pants are to draw from, even if your Ruger fits in OK. I do IWB appendix carry a fair amount of the time also.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I need to try more pocket carry. I carry a mod. 60 or a 637 in a uncle mike's iwb or a Don Hume iwb or some times just tuck it in without a holster. They hide well.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have had my Taurus 605 .357 for a while now, and actually just started pocket carrying it last week.

So far, its awesome. Mine is probably not the best for that, (being the heavy, full-hammer model,) but its still quite comfortable. I have an Uncle Mikes size 4 holster for it...the size 3 is recommended for revolvers, but for some reason my Taurus didn't want to go into it. Maybe the frame is just a hair too big. Anyway, the size 4 is designed for sub-compact auto's, but it fits my 605 just fine. Also fits my G26, just in case I want to try that. ;)

Only recommendation; as with all guns, wear a nice belt. Does weigh you down a little bit, but the newer lighter alloys will help with that, in addition to a nice belt, (I mentioned I have the heaviest model.) With the belt, its really not even noticeable. And like others have said; I can have my fingers wrapped around a .357 magnum, thumb on the hammer, with no one being the wiser. Gotta love that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Only recommendation; as with all guns, wear a nice belt. Does weigh you down a little bit, but the newer lighter alloys will help with that, in addition to a nice belt, (I mentioned I have the heaviest model.) With the belt, its really not even noticeable. And like others have said; I can have my fingers wrapped around a .357 magnum, thumb on the hammer, with no one being the wiser. Gotta love that.

Best advise for any type of carry method is a good belt.

One advantage of pocket carry is the ability to discreetly place your hand on the gun. This works especially well if you wear loose fitting pants. The big disadvantage of pocket carry is that it puts the gun out of reach while you are seated.

I have also found that turning the snubby around and tucking it into a belt at about a 5 oclock position also works quite well. It is somewhat slow to draw but it does conceal and by reversing the direction the grip faces it keeps the gun from sliding down. I have heard this will work without a holster but I personally would never recommend carrying a handgun without something to cover the trigger. A revolver carried in this fashion is not my first choice in carry positions but it would work for some people.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you get the right pocket holster, it should have a high enough coefficient of friction against your pants that you could utilize it as an IWB holster in a pinch, too. Gives you a little more flexibility.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I carry my S&W J IWB in a crossbreed. When I carry it in my coat pocket I slide it in an uncle mikes neoprene cover. I also just ordered a Galco leather paddle holster for those times I want to slap it on quickly.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I carry a Taurus CIA as a BUG in a ankle holster or occasionally in a vest pocket. I find the ankle holster works well for me while motorcycle riding or when driving a car because of ease of access. A quality holster its a must, the cheaper ones well slide down or spin around on your ankle.

Top Bottom