• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    My father went to get the form to fill out to get is LTCH. On the form it ask the question about being treated for mental health problems and if so you need to submit paper work from your doc. (i don't know the exact wording I didn't read it and its been awhile since I filled on out)

My father suffered from depression several years ago and was treated for it. Has anyone dealt with this issue when applying for a LTCH? Does depression fall into this? I would say so since it is a mental health issue but it so common I didn't know. I told him he should probably say yes and get the paper work just incase.

Is this something that could cause them to not issue a LTCH to him?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If his doctor can submit proof that he is not a threat to himself or others than there isn't a reason that they wouldn't issue a permit to him.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    I had received grief/depression counseling about 5 years prior to my application, I had a two sentence letter from my doctor just stating that I'd received treatment and had stopped treatment with a successful outcome, the PD scanned a copy of the record to keep on their local file and there's a checkbox on the form about it, but it doesn't seem to have any actual affect on getting the license. Tinfoil hat mode, the only purpose I see it serving is a "Lets get guns away from those dangerous mental invalids! did you check the box? sorry." But that's a pretty far outlier, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just get the letter of treatment.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I had received grief/depression counseling about 5 years prior to my application, I had a two sentence letter from my doctor just stating that I'd received treatment and had stopped treatment with a successful outcome, the PD scanned a copy of the record to keep on their local file and there's a checkbox on the form about it, but it doesn't seem to have any actual affect on getting the license. Tinfoil hat mode, the only purpose I see it serving is a "Lets get guns away from those dangerous mental invalids! did you check the box? sorry." But that's a pretty far outlier, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just get the letter of treatment.

Cool thanks that was what I thought. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    (i don't know the exact wording I didn't read it and its been awhile since I filled on out)

Box: Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care of an emotional or mental illness? Y/N

Next Box: If Yes, (a) list year of recent treatment, and

Next Box: (b) submit documentation recommendation from treating Mental Health Professional or Treatment Center.

I AM NOT A LAWYER, but it would seem the intent here is psychiatric health care, and some level of recentness. I.E. not marital counseling from your Rabbi/Priest nor the counsellor you saw 30 years ago when your parents were divorcing. Now, beyond that I do not know exactly.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Future applications will have you submit your INgunowners S/N so they can review your posts... :rolleyes:

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I AM NOT A LAWYER, but it would seem the intent here is psychiatric health care, and some level of recentness. I.E. not marital counseling from your Rabbi/Priest nor the counsellor you saw 30 years ago when your parents were divorcing. Now, beyond that I do not know exactly.

Well he saw a psychologist and got "happy pills" so i think it would fall under it. But I agree with you just counseling would probably not count.

Future applications will have you submit your INgunowners S/N so they can review your posts... :rolleyes:

Well I'm screwed when I go to renew in March. If I create a new s/n can I just list that or do I have to lost all past s/n.:D

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I take a happy pill every day and and when I filled mine out my dark-sided lower companion monkey said that I didn't have to mark yes...... Hey it works for Gary Busey.... LOL

If you are on medication for something other then depression or anxiety or if you have been hospitalized for attempted suicide then you need to mark yes.... at least this is what they told me.

INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    I take a happy pill every day and and when I filled mine out my dark-sided lower companion monkey said that I didn't have to mark yes...... Hey it works for Gary Busey.... LOL

If you are on medication for something other then depression or anxiety or if you have been hospitalized for attempted suicide then you need to mark yes.... at least this is what they told me.

LOL, who is "they"? (the monkey again)

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    After reading this thread I went back and read again the In. code dealing with this subject and the only thing I see refers to "mental incompetence" being reason to deny. There is no definition offered of mental incompetence either. If it was me I would keep my mouth shut to avoid problems. After all there is such as a thing as doctor patient confidentiality is there not? It seems to me they would have to illegally invade someones privacy to attain such info. I surmise what is being referred to as mental incompetence would have to be something determined by the courts and therefore public record.

BTW I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I just can't see inviting government intervention where it is not warranted. My advice is therefore worth every penny you paid for it, but I still say as long as treatment was not court mandated, SHHHHHHH! Besides I doubt I know more than 2 people who haven't suffered through some sort of depression in their lives.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    BATFE Form 4473 question 12f....

12f. "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

ADJUDICATED !! ....... as in forced by legal means..... against your will........ involuntary. If a judge didn't order your treatment, you're good to go.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I had this issue with bpd. I was seen at cbh twice for a panic attack and that doesn't really fall under their criteria but I asked the desk clerk who asked the deputy chief and they were kinda up in the air about it but said check it and get the paperwork anyway. the only hassle with that process is dealing with cbh, they are the most incompitent idiots ever.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    "Mentally incompetent" and "adjudicated" are large-bore legal words. This is not just as situation of 'I was feeling depressed so I went to my doctor and he put me on meds for a couple of months."

To be adjudicated or declared incompetent, you have to be found in a court of law to be so mentally impaired that you are not responsible for your actions.

I just looked up the IN application here.
    http://podcast.gunrights.us/pdf/Indiana_Handgun_License_Application.pdf
    It has a much broader standard. It says
    "Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care of an emotional or mental illness?"
    This standard would appear to include common diagnoses like depression, anxiety, etc. Which is kind of staggering, since something like 20-30% of the population will suffer from one of these kinds of disorders at some point in their lives. It is not a nice thought that potentially 20-30% of people are barred from CCW in Indiana right off the bat, without having committed any crime.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Exactly. Sounds to me like the new form is trying to get more information than is legal.

I really don't think this was the way the question was worded four years ago.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Are we looking at an individual city/town's interpretation or rewording of the standard 4473 question?

The 4473 asks if you have ever been committed to an institution for care... and also now it goes on to further ask if you are not competent to take care of yourself.

I look at the town/state's question as a loose interpretation of the federal questions that appear on the 4473 or C3 forms.

No, I'm not crazy and am not trying to hide anything! :)

ETA: now I see we've found the actual wording. Well thank God for HEPA or HIPPA or whatever it is- the state can't look at your medical records to find anything out about you. All they could do is look at court records to see if you ever been judged incompetent. Their questions shouldn't ask for more information than they can find out through legal research.

JPBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend who is schizophrenic. He was denied a permit based on his disorder, he is only the second person I know who has been denied a permit.
    I added this to the thread just to illustrate a situation where mental illness resulted in a denial. I don't know all the details but his care was not mandated by the state, however I believe no doctor would submit proof that he is not a threat to himself or others.

Top Bottom