• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So hypothetical situation. You are a doctor or therapist of some kind that requires removal of a patient/client's street clothes. The client has a LTCH and is carrying.

Assuming no policy issues with the building where can the patient legally have their gun?

Can it be in the pile of clothes on the other side of the exam room?
    Or, does the patient have to find a place to to keep it on their person?

If I were the provider I would prefer the gun be with the pile of clothes, (more out of awkwardness of a naked person holding a gun during an exam than fear of the LTCH bearing patient) but logic does not always enter into legality, so I am curious.

Please feel free to opinionate, but I am interested in the real legal answer too.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Had to have xrays the other month with the keltec in the side pocket. Since the pants were staying in the same room I just dropped the pants and left them there. Made a clunking noise when they hit the floor which got a strange look from the tech.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Dr X checking me out for an exam. The gun /holster is on the top of the pile of clothes.

He asks, "I can't tell from this side of the room, is that a glock 17 or 19"?

He had a ruger in his pocket. 380's are easy to hide is all he said.

He then said cough again.... and went back to his exam......

another time at the hospital getting an mri, the lady running the test knew me from church.

I put the gun on the counter and said is that ok, She asked if I was a cop, I said no. She ran the test and asked what type of holster that was. She said she had a keltec 380 because she can keep it hidden.

I think alot of doc's and others at hospitals are packing but you can't tell....

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Dr X checking me out for an exam. The gun /holster is on the top of the pile of clothes.

He asks, "I can't tell from this side of the room, is that a glock 17 or 19"?

He had a ruger in his pocket. 380's are easy to hide is all he said.

He then said cough again.... and went back to his exam......

He needs to advertise as a 2A friendly Dr, he'd surely generate some business from the forums :P

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So hypothetical situation. You are a doctor or therapist of some kind that requires removal of a patient/client's street clothes. The client has a LTCH and is carrying.

Assuming no policy issues with the building where can the patient legally have their gun?

Can it be in the pile of clothes on the other side of the exam room?
    Or, does the patient have to find a place to to keep it on their person?

If I were the provider I would prefer the gun be with the pile of clothes, (more out of awkwardness of a naked person holding a gun during an exam than fear of the LTCH bearing patient) but logic does not always enter into legality, so I am curious.

Please feel free to opinionate, but I am interested in the real legal answer too.
    The pile is perfectly legal

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    THE CLIENT SHOULD "ALWAYS" HAVE IT UNDER HIS OR HER CONTROL!! "ALWAYS" IF NOT,-IT SHOULD BE LOCKED UP & AND THE PATIENT SHOULD HAVE THE KEY!! NO IF OR ANS......THE PATIENT SHOULD ALWAYS BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS OR HER FIREARM...AS THE DOCTOR, YOU POST THE RULES. (C Y A )

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Not hypethetical for me,

One time I rolled my 40 up in my jean leg and didn't leave the room

a couple of times when I know I had to leave the room AND my wife was with me she rolled it up in a coat.

And I have also left it in the jeep

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Sometimes my patients wear the gun under their hospital gown, like so:

Raquel-Welch-5.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to be a lot more concerned about ungunning. Now days I treat it as a drill to make sure my other skills are in tune.

That there gun is a mechanical device like any other. IT CAN FAIL...
    What are you gonna do then?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The problem is he works at a hospital that does not get excited about guns.......

Yeah, Offices may be ok, but most hospitals these days are run by progressives. (read Liberals) Even the for profit hospitals tend to be run by liberals. For some reason they don't mind making big CEO money while lobbying for more affordable healthcare. :dunno:

Bottom line MOST hospitals have a no firearm policy. And whilst a client may be willing to challenge the policy in a clandestine fashion, the staff at the hospital tend to value the paycheck and not tempt the admin to send them packing for...um...packing (and thus violating a policy.)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That there gun is a mechanical device like any other. IT CAN FAIL...
    What are you gonna do then?

Survive at any cost so I can post about it later on the internets and get called a hater 'cause it was obviously bad ammo or something I did wrong. ;)

Top Bottom