Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Target Permit, what is this?

I have heard that I have to either have my concealed carry permit or a target permit to take a handgun to a public range.

Is this nonsense true?

Is there anyway around this?

If not what does it take to get a target permit besides the money and where can I get one?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I do believe you heard wrong. You need a FOID card to shoot in Indiana public ranges ran by the DNR if you are an Illinois resident. Past that I think someone was blowing smoke up your butt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by millsusaf View Post
    I have heard that I have to either have my concealed carry permit or a target permit to take a handgun to a public range.

Is this nonsense true?

Is there anyway around this?

If not what does it take to get a target permit besides the money and where can I get one?

Thanks
    If you are from Fishers I believe you to be an Indiana resident. If this is true, you do have to have a LICENSE (not a permit) to take a handgun to the range.
    Indiana has two types of licenses.
    Personal protection (Carry in any form, not limited to concealed)
    Hunting & Target Shooting. To and from activity ONLY.
    Depending on where you live you need to go to your local police or sheriff office and get the paperwork. Most help you with everything you need.
    I would get the Lifetime personal protection because it covers everything and you won't be in a situation where you wished you had it.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BloodEclipse View Post
    If you are from Fishers I believe you to be an Indiana resident. If this is true, you do have to have a LICENSE (not a permit) to take a handgun to the range.
    Indiana has two types of licenses.
    Personal protection (Carry in any form, not limited to concealed)
    Hunting & Target Shooting. To and from activity ONLY.
    Depending on where you live you need to go to your local police or sheriff office and get the paperwork. Most help you with everything you need.
    I would get the Lifetime personal protection because it covers everything and you won't be in a situation where you wished you had it.
    The way Fishers keep growing they'll be their own state soon.
    Like BloodEclipse said spend a little more and get your lifetime license and not have to deal with it again.
    Handgun control is using both hands.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

User Info Menu

BloodEclipse already answered the rest of the question, but my recommendation is to skip the target permit and just get a lifetime personal protection (unlimited) license. Once you get a license, you can't "upgrade" until it expires, so it's worth paying a couple extra bucks now.

Meh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scutter01 View Post
    get a lifetime personal protection (unlimited) license. Once you get a license, you can't "upgrade" until it expires
    The lifetime permit expires when you do.

Cogito, ergo porto.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    The lifetime permit expires when you do.
    I think that's the point he was making, to get the Lifetime, rather than the 4yr that is still offered.

Blessings,
    B

Thanks for your help in keeping this a great forum!
    Forum Rules#######Classifieds Rules##############?!?! wait...what?

User Info Menu

Oh, I've already applied for my lifetime. It should be getting to the State today. I'm patiently waiting......

But I am ITCHING to hit the range with my new baby. Is the target permit any faster......like INSTANT?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Oh, I've already applied for my lifetime. It should be getting to the State today. I'm patiently waiting......

But I am ITCHING to hit the range with my new baby. Is the target permit any faster......like INSTANT?

Thanks
    Nope. Sorry. Your best bet is to go with someone who has a license. Although, technically to be legal, he'd have to come to your house to pick you up, unless the range you were driving to had a gunsmith onsite.

Meh.

User Info Menu

That is crazy........just crazy.

I had no idea the laws were so restrictive here.

Oh well, I guess I just wait to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks for the info all!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast