• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    How would one go about transporting through the People's Republic in a minivan? Seems to me, anyone could conceivably gain access to the firearm simply due to the fact that the entire interior of the vehicle is the 'passenger compartment'.

I searched the forum for 'minivan' and came up with 9 unrelated threads, so I did search.

Also, if this belongs better in Politics & Laws, please move it.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    As ATM said, plus, unloaded with the ammo stored separately. When I go to east St Louis, I lock the guns in a 4 gun case, and just put the ammo in a duffel bag. Oh, and I certainly obey all traffic laws.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As ATM said, plus, unloaded with the ammo stored separately. When I go to east St Louis, I lock the guns in a 4 gun case, and just put the ammo in a duffel bag.

I believe this is correct. Unloaded, in a container of some sort, ammo in a different container, out of reach. I don't believe it must be a locking container because there is nothing in the federal law that requires a locked container and as long as you are passing THROUGH a state the federal law should apply. So in theory a zippered pistol rug or soft sided shotgun/rifle case would be legal, as long as the gun is unloaded with no ammo in the case and it is out of the general passenger area (or drivers reach?) in a minivan. One would have to presume the same thing in an SUV.

You can't always bury a gun in the tire compartment because long arms will typically not fit under the floor in the tire area. A handgun may, in many cases, and that would probably be a good place to store a handgun for safe journey but not mandatory since it cannot be applied to all vehicles.

I don't think those steps make it legal. Suggest you check with a better authority than us.

Check this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ok_county_illinois_with_a_gun_in_the_car.html

With regards to this one, there was no peaceable journey. The guy drove into the state with a loaded gun, slipped it under his seat. He went there to go to a bar with his girlfriend. He was pulled over, he was NOT drunk. The gun was loaded. The gun was not in a case. The gun was easily accessible to the driver. He clearly broke the law and he clearly did not qualify for peaceable journey because he went into the state not through the state, etc.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    The magazine doesn't have to be unloaded. The gun has to be unloaded, no round in the chamber, and the gun totally encased (soft or hard) and the ammo seperate.
    In a van, the best place would be behind the last seat (or under it, if it doesn't slide out). The ammo can be in the glove box compartment. (Or even in a console if it has a "lid" and is closed)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The magazine doesn't have to be unloaded. The gun has to be unloaded, no round in the chamber, and the gun totally encased (soft or hard) and the ammo seperate.
    In a van, the best place would be behind the last seat (or under it, if it doesn't slide out). The ammo can be in the glove box compartment. (Or even in a console if it has a "lid" and is closed)

I'm looking for where I saw this, but haven't found it yet. What I read was that loaded magazines were the same as a loaded gun. Until I can find it, though, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    If they see a magazine in the gun, even if it's empty, it could be considered loaded until they had a chance to examine it. Best to keep the magazine seperate so they can see a gaping hole there.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I also face this dilemma as I drive to Colorado after Christmas. We'll be driving a Chevy Equinox, and I had planned to store the gun unloaded and locked in its case in one suitcase, while storing the two magazines (loaded) in another suitcase.

I have no trunk, just a "back area".

What do you guys think? I've read over the above posted link, but it does not really make me feel confident that I'll be okay if pulled over.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    You would hope that if pulled over, common sense would prevail. If the gun is unloaded and locked in a case, and buried under suitcases. And the magazine is buried in a suitcase, it seems that you're not planning a drive by. But, figure out the law. On the other hand, we all know what protection an unloaded gun offers. My thoughts have always been to figure out my arguement, if in fact it went to court. Then again, attitude has alot to do with it. Like, why did you get stopped in the first place? Of course, what is the penalty for carrying in Illinois? I mean, you broke a state law right? It's not a felony right? Just curious about that.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    For most traffic stops, there would be no cause for a search. Just obey the traffic laws and you shouldn't have to worry about it. Be polite, respectful. (But, don't kiss a**)

How about this: Transport in the box it came in. Wrap the box either in Christmas paper or birthday or anniversary wrapping paper. If in a suitcase, why would anyone want to search? Plain sight wouldn't apply. If you are traveling cross country or through the state, one would expect to see suitcases.

Just obey the traffic laws. :D

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    How about getting one of the in car gun safes and attaching it in the rear of the vehicle? Hook it to a rear seat brace and it would not be "accessible" to anyone driving the car at all.

Center Of Mass Central

Just a thought, I want one of these anyway. When I went through IL last year I stored the gun in one bag with a cable lock through it. I had no hard case available to me at the time. The two Mags were stored in a separate bag, still loaded. All in my trunk, I hoped it was good enough and I did everything in my power to not get pulled over to be extra safe! Going on 11 years now without getting pulled over, but it would figure I would get stopped in IL so I was extra cautious.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Wrap the box either in Christmas paper or birthday or anniversary wrapping paper.

Bad idea.

Perhaps you meant it as a joke, since there was no :) I couldn't tell.

Gifts of firearms across state lines without a FFL involved is bad juju. If you wrapped it in giftwrap try explaining before a jury that you were merely using wrapping paper to comply with the peacable journey law.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Code of Federal Regulations

Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 44 > § 926a
    § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Release date: 20050803
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
    political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
    other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
    the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
    accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
    glove compartment or console.

Guns and ammo do not have to be seperate. I have a Chevy HHR and I drove through several states this summer in which the guns had to be stored. I have a small pistol safe that I put in the back.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

Guns and ammo do not have to be seperate. I have a Chevy HHR and I drove through several states this summer in which the guns had to be stored. I have a small pistol safe that I put in the back.

So, it would be better for me to lock up the magazines and the gun in the same case? I was planning on locking the gun in its original case.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom