• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Excuse my ignorance, but I dont know that much about pepper spray.

What does OC mean? Is it the same as Pepper Spray?

After you have to "spray" the BG, I know it would be frowned upon, to beat the BG up. So I'm assuming the spray is just meant as a deterrent. So you can run away. Should you call the police afterwards? Or just "spray", and run to safety, and call it a day?

What are some good recommended brands? Do you carry it on a belt clip? What kind of distance do they have? And how long does it keep the BG down? Is there an expiration date on the container itself?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    OC is short for the type of "pepper" used to make the spray. Can't remember the real name. Should be essentially the same as "pepper" spray. There are different concentrations. I think 10% is common.

If you spray someone in self-defense, you should call the cops. If a situation has gotten that bad, you are only spraying to get time for a 911 call anyway.

Some are streams, others clouds, and even a gel. Each has their own set of pros and cons.

Oops. posted too soon....

OC effects different people differently. Some folks can fight through it pretty well, others are dropped right now. Hitting the eyes/nose is pretty important. Miss, or get it on yourself, and you just **** off the bad guy.

My wife emptied a can on a guy years ago. He was crying and blubbering 20 minutes later when the cops showed up. He was not 10 feet from where she hosed him down. Cops were ticked that we was covered in the stuff. No one wanted him in the car.

Handy for a "less lethal" option. My wife has carried it for years. Clips to her purse.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    OC is short for the type of "pepper" used to make the spray. Can't remember the real name. Should be essentially the same as "pepper" spray. There are different concentrations. I think 10% is common.

If you spray someone in self-defense, you should call the cops. If a situation has gotten that bad, you are only spraying to get time for a 911 call anyway.

Some are streams, others clouds, and even a gel. Each has their own set of pros and cons.

What are the pros and cons? And would you volunteer to be sprayed, for educational purposes? :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you're using the less expensive types, you won't want to stick around. They fog...you'll be macing yourself.
    The powerful stream stuff (like Kimber's LifeAct brand) hits the face like a baseball bat (90mph). It's a little pricey in comparison, but what price are you putting on the life it's meant to protect?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you're using the less expensive types, you won't want to stick around. They fog...you'll be macing yourself.
    The powerful stream stuff (like Kimber's brand) hits the face like a baseball bat. It's a little pricey in comparison, but what price are you putting on the life it's meant to protect?

I wouldn't buy a cheap crap thing anyway. I'd want something good. But I don't know WHAT is good.

Another question. Can one be carried into a school?

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OC (Oleoresin Capsicum)

I had to get sprayed with OC when I worked at the prison. And it did the job. OC tends to burn more than regular pepper spray or CN.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Would I be sprayed? NO THANK YOU! I've smelled the stuff from 10 feet away, and it was NASTY. I think several folks on here have been spray voluntarily. I'll let them describe it.

Fog Pros: can't miss your target, and it will clear the room
    Fog cons: gonna get yourself at least once. Now you are down too.

Stream Pros: Hits hard, and pretty accurate.
    Stream Cons: you might miss

Gel pros: sticks to the target, and just smears when you try to wipe it away.
    Gel cons: might miss, and is usually more $$$

Can't remember the brand my wife has right now. It is a "stream" style, though.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    OC stands for oleoresin capsicum, and its the same thing as pepper spray. In most law enforcement training LEOs get maced to see what it feels like. And if you ever have to use it on a bad guy you owe it to yourself to accidentally kick the BG at sometime during your escape! ;)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've been sprayed a few times and i'll tell you what it's like.

initially, you'll feel like someone has dunked your head in gasoline or some sort of caustic chemical.

Next (about 5 seconds later) it feels like someone is slashing at your face as fast as they can with a razor blade.

About ten second later it feels like someone has now lit the gasoline on fire while continuing to slash at your face with a razor blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8IGDIujijQ

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I carry Fox Labs spray. It is only 2% OC, but it is way hotter than many of the sprays that find at gun shows and gun shops. There are several stories of the bad guy getting hit in the shoulder or chest and still going down just like he was hit in the face. You will hear lots of opinions on pepper spray and what is best. Do some research and decide for yourself. Personally, I chose one that was proven to be hot. Fox Labs spray is rated at 5.3 million SHU (Scoville Heat Units). For comparison, one jalapeno pepper is rated at approximately 5,000 SHU. Many sprays will boast their percentage of OC, but if they use weak OC, that 10% might only make 2 million SHU. Some of the crap at Cabellas and Gander Mountain can have up to 18% OC, but still isn't as hot as the better engineered stuff. I don't think Fox labs sells their spray directly to the public, but you can google it and find several companies that sell it. You can get key chain size, up to large 4 oz cans if I recall.

http://foxlabs.com/products.shtml

Here is a site where you can buy several of the different sizes.
    http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/fox-labs-pepper-spray.html

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If you travel into Michigan, you have to remember that they have laws governing pepper spray.

Other Weapons (Non-Pistols)

1. In Michigan, can I carry a self-defense spray in my car or on my person for protection?

MCL 750.224d Yes, but only if it is either:

Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients (CS gas); or
    A solution containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray) and is used in the protection of your person or property which would justify the use of physical force. It cannot be sold to a minor.
    2. In Michigan, can I carry tear gas or mace ("CN gas") in my car or on my person for protection?

MCL 750.224d No, under the statute and according to an Attorney General's opinion, a private citizen cannot possess tear gas or mace.

Silly Michigan laws... You can shoot an attacker with a lethal bullet, but you cannot make the attacker too uncomfortable with strong pepper spray. :scratch:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What are the pros and cons? And would you volunteer to be sprayed, for educational purposes? :D

I think if you seriously want to carry it or consider it as an option you should volunteer to get sprayed.

I did it at a class put on by Blue Cell Protective Services and it was very educational. Its only absolutely miserable for about 40 minutes. I'd do it again.

It's very educational to know how long it takes and how it affects you and also what you can fight through and still somewhat function.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think if you want to carry one you should know what it does to you, in case you get hit yourself and to know what it will do to a BG.
    Some brands will say that it stops an attacker right away but that's not true.
    Sure it hurts a lot but you can still fight.It all depends if the fight is worth the pain you get from the spray.
    For example if a BG is trying to steal a woman's purse and get sprayed, he will probably want to run away because the pain is not worth 50 bucks in may find in the purse.
    But in the other hand if you get sprayed by someone trying to kill you, you will feel the pain but you will just ignore it, that wont keep you for fighting to defend your life.
    That's what LEOs train to do.They get sprayed and usually have to run, handcuff someone, hit a pad with their baton, maybe use their gun and stuff like that.
    It's not a magic product and not everyone will shut down after being hit.
    So if you spray someone, get ready for a hand-to-hand fight because the person may not crawl to the ground and cry.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i saw my room mate in a school for military police get sprayed with it and it was like getting sprayed with water for him.... me on the other hand it kicked my butt. i would rather go through the gas chamber then get sprayed with it. if you get sprayed with it dont rub your eyes you can scratch your corneas and they told us not to spray someone with in 3 feet because you can screw up their eyes but i am sure if you are needing it to defend yourself you arent really going to care about the bg eyes. johnson baby shampoo does wonders after getting sprayed and even milk takes away the burn for a while. some streams shoot 10-15 feet.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Freeze +P... A combination of CS and OC. I've not felt anything hotter.

images

If this doesn't do the job you'll probably have to shoot them. :D

I sprayed a large, drunken Marine one night, who before being sprayed proclaimed he was "immune to 17 different chemical agents."

This was not one of them. :):

The good thing about Fox OC...if you spray them then tase them...they combust. The propellent in Fox is brake cleaner. It also tends to melt contacts.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Freeze +P... A combination of CS and OC. I've not felt anything hotter.

images

If this doesn't do the job you'll probably have to shoot them. :D

I sprayed a large, drunken Marine one night, who before being sprayed proclaimed he was "immune to 17 different chemical agents."

This was not one of them. :):

The good thing about Fox OC...if you spray them then tase them...they combust. The propellent in Fox is brake cleaner. It also tends to melt contacts.

I have seen a LEO who used the same brand.
    Im not sure that CS spray, OC spray or CS and OC spray make a big different.I dont think you can tell the difference if you are being sprayed with any of those.
    Same with he amount of OC.
    8% OC will suck.
    10% will suck just as much.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I have seen a LEO who used the same brand.
    Im not sure that CS spray, OC spray or CS and OC spray make a big different.I dont think you can tell the difference if you are being sprayed with any of those.
    Same with he amount of OC.
    8% OC will suck.
    10% will suck just as much.
    I'll spray you with CS gas. You spray me with OC spray. We'll see who wins. ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting.

Is it legal to carry into school? I'd also like to get some for my wife to carry. And shes a 2nd grade teacher.

I dont think it's illegal, it may be against school policy though.
    But I dont think that a teacher would get in trouble for having a OC spray, especially a female teacher. :dunno:
    Anyway nobody is going to look into your wife's purse or pocket to see what she carries at work.

Top Bottom