• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Self defense is self defense, does not matter if it's against man or animal. The dictionary does not mention self defense being against another human. If an animal attacks me it will die.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What about man vs cat, man vs bear, man vs lion, man vs goat... ?

If you are attacked by any animal (humans included) you are allowed to defend yourself and potentially use deadly force to do so, if your life is in danger.

There is no animal off limit.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Man waling his neighboor hood is met in the street by a dog and nearly bitten(contact was made but bite avoided), dog was on a long cable tethered to a tree and extended 6.5 ft into the street. Person, armed permit holder, continues walk home and decides to return to talk to home owner about shortening the dogs leash. All lights on, 2 cars in drive way and garage door up, Man rings door bell, knocks on door(dog approches, barking) but no answer.(there more) but as man tries to enter his vehicle to leave dog approches fast enough to be threat of attack. 2 shots fired. Man charged and convicted by jury of his "peers". D felony and A misdmeanor.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Jury was instructed and defense was not allowed to use self defense in a case of man verses dog. Your thoughts?

I think they're lucky it wasn't me.

Man waling his neighboor hood is met in the street by a dog and nearly bitten(contact was made but bite avoided), dog was on a long cable tethered to a tree and extended 6.5 ft into the street. Person, armed permit holder, continues walk home and decides to return to talk to home owner about shortening the dogs leash. All lights on, 2 cars in drive way and garage door up, Man rings door bell, knocks on door(dog approches, barking) but no answer.(there more) but as man tries to enter his vehicle to leave dog approches fast enough to be threat of attack. 2 shots fired. Man charged and convicted by jury of his "peers". D felony and A misdmeanor.

You know what you get when you refuse to let something go, you go back, and something happens?

People who are more worried about getting a conviction than in doing the right thing.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

so he knew the dog was on a leash, fled, then RETURNED to the known situation, and intentionally put himself in a position where he KNEW me might get harmed, then instead of reatreating to a KNOWN safe distance, he fired.

doesnt sound like a clean cut self defense to me. probably got what he deserved.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds like the better option there would have been to call local PD, and file a compliant. The situation you described could be made to sound like the man walked into the yard with the intent to shoot the dog. He knew there was a threat, and chose to put himself in harms way instead of retreating and contacting authorities.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What about man vs cat, man vs bear, man vs lion, man vs goat... ?

If you are attacked by any animal (humans included) you are allowed to defend yourself and potentially use deadly force to do so, if your life is in danger.

There is no animal off limit.

This put an image in my head of someone trying to shoot a POed house cat. If you can hit one of those little fast movers, you are a better shot than me!!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A man shot someones dog in their driveway? After returning to tell them he was attacked by their dog? I believe I would have been more inclined to let the cops handle it, especially if I had no idea who the people were. Sounds like stupid and irresponsible on both sides.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't know which case you're talking about, but I'll say this much...
    One day last week, I was taking boxes out to a burn pile behind work and there was a guy nearish there with two dogs. One of a breed I didn't know and one of a pit. They were not leashed and they were not under his control by any means. He was yelling at them to stay put and they were trotting my direction regardless. The more he yelled at them to come back and kept emphatically pointing at the ground yelling "HERE!!", the more they ignored him. One did jump on me, and even though at that time I sensed it wasn't intending anything more than trying to be playful and too curious, I yelled at the guy that if it moved to bite me I was going to bite back. I think it was pretty clear what I meant since I was OCing that day.
    In retrospect, I gave too much leeway and too much trust in an animal I didn't know and it won't happen again.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I don't know which case you're talking about, but I'll say this much...
    One day last week, I was taking boxes out to a burn pile behind work and there was a guy nearish there with two dogs. One of a breed I didn't know and one of a pit. They were not leashed and they were not under his control by any means. He was yelling at them to stay put and they were trotting my direction regardless. The more he yelled at them to come back and kept emphatically pointing at the ground yelling "HERE!!", the more they ignored him. One did jump on me, and even though at that time I sensed it wasn't intending anything more than trying to be playful and too curious, I yelled at the guy that if it moved to bite me I was going to bite back. I think it was pretty clear what I meant since I was OCing that day.
    In retrospect, I gave too much leeway and too much trust in an animal I didn't know and it won't happen again.

While it is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable on the owner's part that he hasn't trained his dogs with better manners(or even just trained them at all for that matter), I couldn't shoot a dog that wasn't acting aggressive towards me.

Hand on gun? Yes...But I'm not drawing until it's growling and ready to lunge.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    While it is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable on the owner's part that he hasn't trained his dogs with better manners(or even just trained them at all for that matter), I couldn't shoot a dog that wasn't acting aggressive towards me.

Hand on gun? Yes...But I'm not drawing until it's growling and ready to lunge.

That pretty much sums it up, except that I did not have my hand on my gun, and if there is a next time, I will. I'm not looking for a reason to shoot ANY critter (four legged, or two). But if I think I'm about to be mauled...I will, in fact, "bite back".

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That pretty much sums it up, except that I did not have my hand on my gun, and if there is a next time, I will. I'm not looking for a reason to shoot ANY critter (four legged, or two). But if I think I'm about to be mauled...I will, in fact, "bite back".

I would have no problem drawing my gun if a large dog gets too close to me.
    Maybe not pointed at the dog (even though it's not a crime to point a loaded gun at a dog) but I would have it in hand ready to use it.
    Maybe the owner would then realize that im being serious and that if he doesnt control his own dog then I will.

It depends where I am of course, I would not draw in the middle of a crowd.

Top Bottom