So your gunshot incapacitated the perp, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape. Do you render first aid?

would it look bad to the jury if you didn't attempt to help?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That would be the first thing I would do, if he's not a threat anymore I must (by my own standards, not by law) help him and provide first aid.
    If nobody else is wounded of course, if I got hurt or a family member got wounded they get help first.
    I would not do that because that would look good in court (if you even have to go to court anyway) but because I think it's the moral thing to do.
    It depends how dangerous the situation is of course.
    If the BG is bleeding on the ground but still could be a threat to me (let's say a guy much bigger than me that just got shot in the leg, not that I would shoot in the leg anyway) I would not get close to him.
    I would call 911 and let them provide first aid.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    ^^^^ see above.

I'm not "certified" to treat that kind of wound, so call 911 and let the pros handle it. After all, they are only minutes away.

I can think of very few scenarios where the perp was absolutely no longer a threat AND was also injured in a way I could effectively treat without putting myself (or others) at risk. About all I can do is apply pressure and wait for help.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This is touchy. It may be difficult to tell whether your perp is really incapacitated, or whether he's trying to draw you in to get your weapon.

I recommend NEVER getting close enough to a perp to where he can get his hands on you. Summoning appropriate medical help fulfills your responsibility to aid him.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I would imagine if you felt the need to shoot or stab the "perp" he did or was going to do something pretty bad to you or your family. You never know until it happens but I think exactly what the guy was doing to me or my family would come into play in whether or not I would offer assistance. On top of that I am not a medic or certified in any type of first aid so I would think assisting could possibly open you up to a lawsuit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Like some have said it really depends on the situation, where that happend and who's around.
    If I shot someone in the middle of the mall and that a bunch of people, maybe other armed citizens or mall security or whatever, are here; then I think I could provide first aid while staying safe.
    Of course if someone has more training than I have I would let them provide first aid.
    If that's at night and im alone im not sure that I want to rescue that person that just tried to kill me.Maybe he could still be a threat to me, maybe other people could come behind me while im providing first aid (with both hands busy and not holding any weapon) and attack me.

And like I said already it depends on the number of wounded people and who they are.

My priorities are as follow:

First: My family
    Second: Myself
    Third: Innocent people (wounded by the BG or by myself)
    Fourth: The BG

I do carry a trauma kit with gloves (to treat someone other than myself and family) as part of my EDC.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Sorry if this is cold hearted. But it gets to the point where i have to use my gun on someone. There is no way I would touch them for any reason. If I shott and they are still alive they get to stare at the business end of my gun until police/medics arrive

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Sorry if this is cold hearted. But it gets to the point where i have to use my gun on someone. There is no way I would touch them for any reason. If I shott and they are still alive they get to stare at the business end of my gun until police/medics arrive

:yesway::yesway:

I'm not touching a BG for any reason. If I had to shoot him then it was to save my life or someone elses, he wouldn't stay and me.

Shoot to kill, problem solved.:D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That would be the first thing I would do, if he's not a threat anymore I must (by my own standards, not by law) help him and provide first aid.
    It's tricky. One doesn't know if the person has hepatitis, AIDS or some other disease. Even medical professionals glove-up these days. Most of us don't travel with surgical gloves on hand. Also, there's a limit to what an unlicensed person can do from a medical perspective. Say the shoot is justified and Indiana has a cannot sue law. If a person provides medical treatment and does something injurious, it may give the perp grounds to sue where he could not have otherwise.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have first-aid in my car and I could makeshift something on scene if I had to.

All that said, I would never or let anyone else get near him or would I holster my weapon until he's properly secured. I might kick the perp a towel or something.

Dead Opossums still bite! :rolleyes:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

How quickly would you call? ;)

I should have stated everyone else is safe. I agree, 1:1 would make me nervous getting that close. Others around and I for sure would help. I would
    Probably be yelling at the guy and pissed he made me shoot him.

I haven't been in that situation but Hollywood has led me to believe that most bad guys become passive after being shot and in trouble. Often they'll tell you where the mastermind is, where the Defense secretary was taken, abort codes, etc.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In most situation im not sure if there would be much to do to help the BG anyway.
    Unless you just shot him in the arm to make him drop his weapon, which I do not recommend.
    Im not a doctor, I just have basic first aid training, and im not sure how I could save the life of someone who has been shot 5 or 6 times (or more) by hollow points bullets to his chest, neck and head.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    How quickly would you call? ;)

I should have stated everyone else is safe. I agree, 1:1 would make me nervous getting that close. Others around and I for sure would help. I would
    Probably be yelling at the guy and pissed he made me shoot him.

I haven't been in that situation but Hollywood has led me to believe that most bad guys become passive after being shot and in trouble. Often they'll tell you where the mastermind is, where the Defense secretary was taken, abort codes, etc.

Hollywood also leads you to believe that you can shoot 97 rounds out of your handgun that has a 10 round magazine with out reloading! :cool:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I do not like the concept of approaching downed attackers. It puts you at greater risk to do so.

I teach students to gain as much distance as possible. Consequently it's much harder to render aid from a block away.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I do not like the concept of approaching downed attackers. It puts you at greater risk to do so.

I teach students to gain as much distance as possible. Consequently it's much harder to render aid from a block away.

True, and has been said there's little you can do without a trauma surgeon close by. Once the shot is fired my mental health for years may depend on what happens next though. I realize it's hard to worry about mental health when you're dead, but still something to think about on a case by case basis for me.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    True, and has been said there's little you can do without a trauma surgeon close by. Once the shot is fired my mental health for years may depend on what happens next though. I realize it's hard to worry about mental health when you're dead, but still something to think about on a case by case basis for me.

You should come train with me. Some Force on Force scenarios might give you a fresh perspective on this issue.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape. Do you render first aid?

would it look bad to the jury if you didn't attempt to help?

Whenever I'm in a situation like that I ask myself. WWSD*

* What Would Shane Do**

** Walking Dead

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I personally would wait until the professionals arrive. I would not want to let my guard down and get near a guy that I just shot because he was a threat to my life or someone else's. No reason to think that he may not still try to harm me when I have to holster my weapon to render first aid...I just might get stabbed doing that. I also really don't want to be covered in blood when the cops arrive and there is a severely hurt or dead guy on the ground, that wouldn't look good.

See my signature.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    No, too much can happen when you move in too close. Call for help and keep your distance. Remember he could have friends. Don't get tunnel vision where you only focus on him, keep in mind the big picture.

Top Bottom