Absolute Frustration! An OC experience...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    So, here's the deal, I OC'd while on lunch from work today. Went to a local deli and had a good lunch.

I was not the one driving, I have a tiny car, and before leaving I grabbed my gun and holster out of the car to take with me. I saw nothing wrong with this. I knew where we were going, what we were doing and about how long we were going to be gone, and I've done it before... They almost left me here, but whatever, that's nothing to do with the story.

We get to the deli, everyone gets out, walks in, stands in line, normal dealio. My gun was pretty obvious considering the odd stares I got as we were walking in and standing in line. I've chalked that up to nothing worthwhile anymore... (Aren't you guys proud?! I learned!) and paid, sat down outside and ate.

There's this nifty little cupcake place next door, and I was really craving something sweet, and seeing as I finished before everyone else, walked off the patio to go see what they had. On my way around another customer asked me 'Hey, miss, what caliber is that?' We had a very civil, and rather plesant conversation about it. I didn't think anything of it. Went in, got my cupcake, got another compliment and left.

While I was walking back to our table no one said anything, other customer wise, but the guys were talking about something with this monster job we're working on. I had just sat down with my cupcake and it got really quiet. I knew something rather unpleasant was about to happen.

One of my coworkers (the driver), flipped out. He actually spoke to me like I was a child, specifically his child. (for emphasis, but most people he yelled these words at me) "YOU have YOUR GUN on you?! WHY?!" at which point I felt like I had done something wrong.

Ouch.

I nicely responded, "Yeah, it goes with me pretty much everywhere. Is that strange?"

My other coworker, who had remained silent, goes "She's just all gun happy and wanting to show off," completely ignoring the fact that I'm sitting right there. He proceeds to turn to me, and goes, "What, you think you're going to get attacked while we're on lunch. What's wrong with you?!" I said the same thing to him, with a bit more emphasis, along with "... You never know. I've been in bad situations with lots of people before, doesn't change the mental...." I got cut off (which really upsets me!) by the driver, "You know it's illegal to have that on company property, where'd you even get it from?!" At this point, I was a bit more than slightly frustrated and I was doing my best not to let it show.

He didn't even let me finish my statement, and continued with the, why do you need that, what makes it worth it, it's not allowed on company property bulk. (I really didn't want to get into the reasons behind why I bought and carry one, because honestly, it's none of his business)

I did ask him where it said that we're not 'allowed' to have firearms on the property. This is a pretty small business, in the sticks, and I've seen people walking around with shotguns pretty regularly. So why, am I, not allowed to keep my pistol in my glove box? They never really came up with a good answer, just that it was word of mouth and that my car counts as company property when it's parked here.

I see a big hole in that argument, because my car doors are locked, my glove box is shut and my windows are rolled up. You don't belong in my car unless you have a specific reason to be searching it, right? As in, a search warrant or my explicit permission.

Needless to say, I had other crap arguments thrown at me from the two guys and the other coworker there just smiled and nodded. Frustrating! SO FLIPPING FRUSTRATING! Makes me not want to wait for my permit to get here! (for those of you who don't know, I'm an KY resident. I can OC without a license just for clarification.)

Honestly, after the last experience, I don't think I want to OC anymore. Check the thread here. Each time it seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth...
    Really ruined my whole last half of my day. That, and the other work related drama. Somewhere around 500 pages, that have to be organized, bound and cleaned up before Monday, dropped on my desk an hour before I am to leave...

I don't know if this is just a rant, or a question... I'm sure someone will find something in there somewhere...

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    'Hey, miss, what caliber is that?'

Gun forum assumption: You are a guy...

I read that line and about spit my coffee out thinking you were going to deck that guy!

Then checking the name and the rest of the story it made sense. What a laugh I had.

As far as the story goes, this is the reason I don't OC. I flat out don't like the interruptions or the attention. My wife would want to hide under a rock if this thing happened to her. I applaud you for continuing to carry after these types of incidents, although no one would blame you if you went concealed instead. People can be jerks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Bah! Sorry for your poor experience.

Sounds to me like your male co-workers are a tad insecure around a strong, confident, and well-armed woman! Fail on their part.

Next time, you drive and they can ride shotgun. Go about your routine as normal. If they whine, they can walk!

vanguard2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Fairmount
    I guess whenever we OC we leave ourselves open for debate like you experienced. I know that some companies have rules against having firearms on their property, even in the parking lots. Thats why i never told anyone where I work, that I had a firearm in my truck.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    People, (in general,) are small-minded, bigoted bastards. I'll support your choice to CC if you choose too.

I would also support your choice to get better friends and co-workers, although thats not always possible. ;)

Honestly though, it sounds like EVERYBODY in this story, (except for you,) over-reacted and was completely irrational.

And I'm a bit puzzled by the INCREDIBLE amount of OC interaction you get. I've been OC'ing for over a year, and you've already had more interaction with people just today than I have EVER had, total. And you're in KY, where you can OC without a permit!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ..."YOU have YOUR GUN on you?! WHY?!" at which point I felt like I had done something wrong.

You know you aren't doing anything wrong, it was the blurter who did something wrong.

Next time throw the question back, "Why don't you?"

Remember, you are the one that's not in denial at the table.

Get him talking about his issues with guns or carrying, and gently interject, "It's OK, it's not your fault" from time to time. :):

Tell them if anything goes down, you are prepared to protect them whether they warrant saving or not. ;)

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Don't know what you're carrying Catie, but next time sling a S&W500 over your shoulder, that ought to shut the imbeciles up

smith_500_10.jpg

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I really think you should've asked before OC'ing in their car. I guess you know who your real friends are now, huh? You have to expect some comments when you OC though.

That's why I carry concealed always. You don't have to ask permission if they don't know, and you have a tactical advantage in that perps don't know you have the ability to terminate them.

In Indiana companies cannot restrict you from having a gun locked in your car, no matter what their policies are/were. I don't know about KY.
    EDIT: It appears KY has the same law as IN.
    http://hrm-partners.com/hr-news/“bring-your-gun-to-work”-laws-their-effect-on-employers?&lang=en

I don't care what state people live in, or what job, I recommend keeping a gun locked in your car to protect yourself when traveling to and from work. No one needs to know.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I get the same reactions when I OC my pink pistol. :n00b:

Sounds like the guys at your work, DON'T have your back. That sucks.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think it is worth noting that the vast majority of us hardly EVER have anyone comment on our OC. Idle comments are rare, and major confrontations like this are damn near unheard of.

Just food for thought before this becomes just another CC/OC debate.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I think it is worth noting that the vast majority of us hardly EVER have anyone comment on our OC. Idle comments are rare, and major confrontations like this are damn near unheard of.

Just food for thought before this becomes just another CC/OC debate.

It's the matching chromosomes. And the lack of pink I wear. And the lack of fear I have towards men... Maybe it's the confidence that they can see... Don't know. Don't care. I want this fixed.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Sorry for the crappy situation, but that is one great looking cupcake! If you're around Indy let me know and we'll grab lunch, you can open carry with no problems! You handled it well!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It's the matching chromosomes. And the lack of pink I wear. And the lack of fear I have towards men... Maybe it's the confidence that they can see... Don't know. Don't care. I want this fixed.

Maybe when they start treating you like a child again, you should beat the hell out of them

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    That should more than make up for the bad behaviour of your coworkers! Red velvet cake! Yum. Too much icing in that picture, tho, (not that that would stop me from eating it).

The icing is what made my day better. Seriously.

Maybe when they start treating you like a child again, you should beat the hell out of them

Maybe. Except I have respect for these people... Sort of. It's my first 'real world' job, and I'd like to keep it to get me through the remainder of school.

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    I've never been one to allow myself to be frustrated at douches acting douchey. **** 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom