• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Seen some stuff online about people open carrying rifles (AR-15 carbines and AK underfolders for the most part). Now they are not holding their weapons like they are ready to use em. The rifle that they are carrying is slung behind them with the safety on. Now I'm kinda on the fence about this so I wanted to hear your thoughts. Is it legal in Indiana? Not that I plan on doing it, I don't wanna be stopped by every cop who sees me.

BTW I'm all for open carrying pistols and revolvers but not sure about carbines.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    159   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    i know you can legally carry in your vehicle not so sure about walking down street . how about a properly stamped sbr, would that be legal.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like to CC my shotgun or Ak. It's tough to find the right garment to wear that will conceal it completely. Though...I've found a black trench coat seems to do the best job concealing and hardly anybody seems alarmed when they see me enter a bank or store with that rig;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This sounds eerily familiar.....

There are very few laws that restrict long guns. No license needed, and method of carry is not defined. Since these are not ILLEGAL, well, then they are legal.

Search for the 2A Walk threads on here. Lots of folks carrying slung rifles in downtown Indy. No issues.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah its been talked about pretty heavily lately. What with all the **** going on as the weather warms up, mor and more people are considering packing something with a bit more wallop than a handgun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes you can legally carry a long gun and walk through downtown Indy like that.
    You can even have the safety off and a round in the chamber, you dont even need a sling.
    Now will you be stopped by the police, arrested, tased, have a bunch of LEOs point guns at you? Probably.
    You might even get shot by a "civilian" LTCH holder if you are lucky.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    sayyy whattt?

Yes you can legally carry a long gun and walk through downtown Indy like that.
    You can even have the safety off and a round in the chamber, you dont even need a sling.
    Now will you be stopped by the police, arrested, tased, have a bunch of LEOs point guns at you? Probably.
    You might even get shot by a "civilian" LTCH holder if you are lucky.

"if your lucky"......ha ha

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

There are very few laws that restrict long guns. No license needed, and method of carry is not defined. Since these are not ILLEGAL, well, then they are legal.

Search for the 2A Walk threads on here. Lots of folks carrying slung rifles in downtown Indy. No issues.

It all depends how you do it and what you do I guess.
    Is it an old friendly looking guy walking to his car with an hunting rifle slung on his back?
    Or is it a young guy with an AK slung on the front walking towards a bank.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It all depends how you do it and what you do I guess.
    Is it an old friendly looking guy walking to his car with an hunting rifle slung on his back?
    Or is it a young guy with an AK slung on the front walking towards a bank.
    Yep. Context is ALWAYS important. Same with handguns, knives, and tree branches. Long guns should be no different.

I would certainly not shoot a guy, or even call the cops, simply because he had a rifle slung. It would take a LOT more "bad juju" for that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yep. Context is ALWAYS important. Same with handguns, knives, and tree branches. Long guns should be no different.

I would certainly not shoot a guy, or even call the cops, simply because he had a rifle slung. It would take a LOT more "bad juju" for that.

Yes, same here.
    But some other guys could be more trigger happy if they see you with a long gun down the street.
    They could think they have a chance to kill a terrorist and be a hero or something crazy. :n00b:
    Especially with one of those evil AKs in the middle of a crown.
    And I bet most people would call the police, since it happens with people who OC handguns too. :rolleyes:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

And one poor bastard who had plenty.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I seem to remember on OC walk to raise awareness that was done through downtown Indy. More than a few people carried slung rifles. Would I do it? Sure if I had a reason.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    So just reading?

I didn't see you post any thoughts.

Ah but I did, #146...

picture.php

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What would you do if you if you seen a lone guy in downtown Indy with front slung AR, hands on grip and rail?

Oh, and muzzle down, finger extended, wearing tacticool clothes.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You will see the "open vs concealed" debate throughout this site and it always pertains to side arms... never long guns. We all know no matter how you decide to carry there's alot of ground to cover in educating the public just with HAND GUNS, before we go out with the mossys and AKs.

Give us a few more months before you decide to do this junior. We has just got started...

Top Bottom