• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Ok guys, for whatever reason I can't seem to find a straight answer on this topic. Let's say I'm in a gas station and get approached by a LEO asking to see my LTCH (no crime has been committed & no one called 911 about someone carrying a gun), am I required to comply and provide him/her with my LTCH?

To anyone that can answer this, I would prefer a link to a .gov so I can read the law for myself. A close friend of mine says NO, I do not have to provide my LTCH if asked (assuming that I've committed no crime and am under no suspision of committing one or getting ready to), he's typically very well versed when it comes to handgun laws in Indiana. On the other hand, I was told by a LEO that it IS required.?.?.?. Any help and/or guidance is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys!!

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, you have to show the LTCH when asked. After you show them the pink ticket, they should leave you alone. Anything other than "have a nice day" should be noted in your soon-to-be-file complaint with their supervisor.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Why is it that when we have a big discussion in another thread some n00b gets an idea about a law but doesn't feel like they need to actually read anything and we should cater to THEIR question?

Ok, now THAT was snide...

a5-50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    "Ok guys, for whatever reason I can't seem to find a straight answer on this topic."

Sounds like he did look. But thanks for your help and welcoming "n00bs" to the site

That was my snide

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Why is it that when we have a big discussion in another thread some n00b gets an idea about a law but doesn't feel like they need to actually read anything and we should cater to THEIR question?

Ok, now THAT was snide...

Human nature, I guess.

OP, it is directly written in the IC. As you said, you should go read it for yourself, and then if you have a question about the wording, or an opinion on its meaning, ask or opine away...

...but the short answer is you must show your LTCH to an officer of the law upon request...provided you are carrying a handgun.Now, if it so happened that you were not carrying a handgun, then you certainly could choose to decline to produce your LTCH, or heck, even lie and say you don't have one.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If a n00b asks: "Het guys, I can't seem to find the right law for..." I would be fine with it but instead they want our OPINION on what is or isn't correct, and THEN they ARGUE with you over whether it is correct or not.

Its too much for me to take sometimes!!!

:ranton:

ETA: I may just have to pull a Scutter... :lmfao:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yes you are required to show an LTCH but you don't have to provide an ID to prove that your LTCH belongs to you.

If a guy by the name of Ted comes in here and tries to post something don't listen to him. ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    TECHNICALLY, you are not required to show your LTCH upon request.

In Indiana, it is a crime to carry a handgun without a license. You have two choices, you can show your ltch, or you can refuse to. If you refuse to, you will receive a complementary ride to jail. Sooner or later, you can show the prosecutor that you are properly licensed. When that happens, all record of your arrest will be expunged and the prosecutor will look at you and think, "what an incredible tool."

It's completely up to you.

IC 35-47-2-24

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IC 35-47-2-24 Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption Sec. 24.

(a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.

(b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Why would you not want to show your LTCH to a LEO? I mean really, I can't think of any instance where it would gain you anything but problems.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Why would you not want to show your LTCH to a LEO? I mean really, I can't think of any instance where it would gain you anything but problems.

I don't disagree with you. I'm merely pointing out that TECHNICALLY, you aren't required.

Top Bottom