Not wanting to hijack other threads, I will start one and ask...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Many times on this forum I see members state that if LEO sees someone carrying (CC or OC) they should not be allowed to stop that person just to ask for a LTCH. They say that it would be the same as a LEO stopping someone driving a vehicle and asking for a drivers license.

I have also seen it repeated that if there is no law against something then it is legal.

I don't know the particular IN codes, don't even know how to look them up. However I am pretty sure there are laws on the books preventing LEO from stopping a driver without reason. That said, I have never heard of a law preventing a LEO stopping someone who has been observed carrying a handgun, to check for a LTCH.

It seems to me this reasoning, stopping a handgun carrier to check for a LTCH is the same as stopping a driver for a license check, is a flawed line of thought. Or is there IN law saying LEO can't stop a handgun carrier to check for LTCH?

Am I missing something? :dunno:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    An officer of the law can stop a carrier to check for their LTCH. Since it is illegal to carry without one they kinda have to. However after the pink slip is flashed the encounter is supposed to end.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    LEO have no business asking for anything other than an identification and a LTCH. If LTCH is provided, it is my opinion that civil rights are being tossed about if a firearm is unholstered and a person disarmed by an officer.

Rights are there to protect you. LEO are there to dig and incriminate, it's the job. If you refuse any search or seizure after providing ID, then it is my opinion that 4th amendment rights are violated if disarmed. Whether it be a full on seizure, or them meaning to give it back. Seizure is seizure when the gun is no longer on your person.

For codes, google Indiana firearm IC

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    LEO have no business asking for anything other than an identification and a LTCH. If LTCH is provided, it is my opinion that civil rights are being tossed about if a firearm is unholstered and a person disarmed by an officer.

Rights are there to protect you. LEO are there to dig and incriminate, it's the job. If you refuse any search or seizure after providing ID, then it is my opinion that 4th amendment rights are violated if disarmed. Whether it be a full on seizure, or them meaning to give it back. Seizure is seizure when the gun is no longer on your person.

You don't need to show ID only the LTCH. Once they see that they know you are not doing anything illegal.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    An officer of the law can stop a carrier to check for their LTCH. Since it is illegal to carry without one they kinda have to. However after the pink slip is flashed the encounter is supposed to end.
    It is also illegal to drive without a license. :dunno:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ

It's also illegal to drive a car without a license. They aren't "kinda supposed to" stop you and check for your license. So, how does your statement hold water?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dang it, I can't find the link here on INGO right now.

There is case law on this. Basically, the courts rules it is a legal stop, and the presentation of the LTCH halts further inquiry (assuming that was the only reason for the stop).

State v. Richards, or Richardson, or something like that. I'll look again in a bit....

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They don't know I am not carrying a pink copy of my brother's LTCH, unless they also identify who I am.

Carrying your brothers LTCH, and not being licensed to carry would, at a minimum, be a misdemeanor. That being the case, you are not obligated to identify yourself since it's not an infraction or an ordinance violation.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    They don't know I am not carrying a pink copy of my brother's LTCH, unless they also identify who I am.

According to the law, it doesn't matter. After a LTCH is presented all questioning about the firearm is to cease.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    These are issues I did not raise or inquire.

Top Bottom