• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I went this evening to pick up Christmas gift cards from my local theater. I took notice of a no-weapon sign on the door as I went in. At first, I considered not purchasing from that theater again, but I thought I might advocate a change in their policy. I recall hearing somewhere that the Aurora, CO shooter passed up a theater or theaters that allowed firearms to go to one that banned them. Is that urban legend or does anyone have documentation of that fact?

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    I heard that also. I was told that in aurora, there are 5 or 6 movie theaters. The only one that banned guns (or at least had signs up) was the one where the shooting took place.

Another reason to get rid of the restricted areas.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I did a quick google search just know of the theaters there. Three had on thier corporate websites a no gun policy. So I would say it was just a random theater or maybe the closest to him or maybe he liked all the pretty neon lights. Either way that is an easy rumor to disprove.

Also as far as local theaters go there have been numerous posts on hear about carrying in theaters. Most seem to have the same rule don't ask don't tell. I have actually open carried several times to a local theater that I hear has a sign posted. They also always have a cop in the lobby. He has seen my gun several times and just looks at me and nods. I think he probably feels better knowing there are some other people there. I almost always carry a 1911 of some sort and any cop should know they are low capacity (even though I always carry 2 extra mags and an lcp or solo in my pocket) so he probably thinks of me as just a good guy which he should.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Well, I won't admit to carrying a Smith 66 into the theater but, you know a guy's gotta' be careful.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are always armed everywhere we go especially now. My wife started to carry again. She had become comfortable until the mall shooting and now this insanity at the school. My daughter is packing her .44 special bulldog again. Son in law to be handles an HK in .45 ACP and myself and son are 1911 fans.
    If we go to the movie theater as a family there 6 adults CC.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    We are always armed everywhere we go especially now. My wife started to carry again. She had become comfortable until the mall shooting and now this insanity at the school. My daughter is packing her .44 special bulldog again. Son in law to be handles an HK in .45 ACP and myself and son are 1911 fans.
    If we go to the movie theater as a family there 6 adults CC.
    Haha. Getting it done. That's how you do it! :yesway:

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I would NEVER go into a theater without my glock. If theaters put up no gun signs, I would respect it because I am a law abiding citizen and never go back again. I'll just take my money somewhere else. Listen theaters, your saying bye bye to money and people protecting themselves. The sign will NEVER stop a bad guy from bringing a gun, it will only stop us law abiding citzens. Figures....

Blackout

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I have always heard that the no weapon signs are not law. It is more of a suggestion and they can ask you to leave or put ur weapon in your vehicle. What are they going to do if you save people from a killer, ask you to leave and not return.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I know there has been lots of debate over the signs. I will happily leave forever if asked to leave, this is yet to happen and I by no means do I cc. I really think these signs are like the no loitering signs at the mall with all the other rules (hell some even say no ball caps). The signs come in handy if there are five kids acting stupid. Security can now point to the sign and ask them to leave. That said I go to the mall all the time to just browse and walk around and don't buy anything so that technically means I am loitering but no one has ever asked me to leave. Or go to Castleton in the morning and there are actually groups of walkers who are clearly just using it to walk indoors (they are in gym shorts and tank tops) no one ask them to leave. Is there really a law that says the no gun sign has anymore meaning than the no loitering sign.

Just my :twocents:'s

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have always heard that the no weapon signs are not law. It is more of a suggestion and they can ask you to leave or put ur weapon in your vehicle. What are they going to do if you save people from a killer, ask you to leave and not return.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

A business has the right to set the rules of their property. If not followed, you will be asked to leave, then if not followed, you are gounds for arrest for trespassing. It sucks for us but what can you do. Private property is the same way, no guns or no trespass, you must follow or be arrested if you do not leave. So yes and no, would you go against the sign and be arrested for not leaving/trespassing or follow the sign. I see your point tho.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I want to make it totally clear I would leave right away and make no issue of it at all if asked to leave. But I will not go out to the car and leave my gun. If they want my business the gun comes with me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

A business has the right to set the rules of their property. If not followed, you will be asked to leave, then if not followed, you are gounds for arrest for trespassing. It sucks for us but what can you do. Private property is the same way, no guns or no trespass, you must follow or be arrested if you do not leave. So yes and no, would you go against the sign and be arrested for not leaving/trespassing or follow the sign. I see your point tho.

We have all of our property posted "NO Trespass" in English and Spanish and have had issues with a few folks (local Zombies and some pushy salesmen) observing those signs. Discussion with LEO states the signs are more of a recommendation than rule of law........really.

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    We have all of our property posted "NO Trespass" in English and Spanish and have had issues with a few folks (local Zombies and some pushy salesmen) observing those signs. Discussion with LEO states the signs are more of a recommendation than rule of law........really.

I get what your saying, it's up to the business to inforce that sign. If they inforce what they say on that sign, you will be asked to leave or be welcomed by the cops. IMO, I wouldnt even bother with going to that business and take my money elsewhere. If you dont inforce your "no Trespass sign", then people are going to keep doing it.

People know not to come on my property or my in-laws property(i Live next to) because I inforce my "No Trespass" signs. If they dont leave, I will call the cops. Plain and simple.

Its up to the business what they do to inforce that sign and also the customer to decide what action to take when going into that business. If you proceed into that business knowing what the sign says and not follow, then be prepared to be confronted. Just dont be mad about it, you didnt follow their rules.

Not trying to start a debate here, just saying my opinion.

Top Bottom