• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Talk about bias in the headlines, the Illinois Concealed Carry bill that passed the house was killed in a Senate committee dominated by Chicago politicians. But the headline struck me as odd. "HIDDEN GUN" instead of Concealed Carry. WTF?

I encourage you to write a letter to the editors asking them to stop their anti-gun bias in their reporting. LINK >> Letters "The Northwest Indiana and Illinois Times"

Senate committee rejects hidden gun law
    11, 2009 | (No comments posted.)
    SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - A committee of the Illinois Senate has rejected a proposal to give Illinoisans the right to carry concealed weapons.

Senate Bill 1976 would allow county sheriff's to issue concealed carry permits to qualified gun owners. The idea was voted down by members of the Senate Public Health Committee, which is dominated by Chicago-area lawmakers.

State Sen. John Jones, a Mount Vernon Republican who sponsored the proposal, said he wasn't surprised by the rejection, given the makeup of the panel. Concealed carry efforts have long been supported by downstate lawmakers, but opposed by Chicago-area lawmakers.

The Senate's action makes passage of three similar bills making their way through the Illinois House doubtful. Jones said even if those proposals win House approval, they'd likely go nowhere in the Senate.

Information from: The Pantagraph, Pantagraph.com | Central Illinois News, Sports, Classifieds and More

A service of the Associated Press(AP)​

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I encourage you to write a letter to the editors asking them to stop their anti-gun bias in their reporting. LINK >> Letters "The Northwest Indiana and Illinois Times"

Here is the letter I just sent to THE TIMES. It usually takes about 10 days from the time I send a letter to the time they publish them in the newspaper. I encourage you guys and gals to write similar letters!
    I think it is time for THE TIMES to step back and take a look at its headlines. Recently you ran this headline: "Senate committee rejects hidden gun law."

Not only is the headline not very descriptive, but it shows your bias. Why not run a headline: "Illinois prevents citizens from protecting themselves." Or maybe "Illinois vote keeps honest citizens defenseless."

Here are the facts, Illinois is one of 2 states that prevents honest citizens, who pass background checks, submit to criminal checks, fingerprinting and other testing to get licenses to carry legal weapons. Crime in Illinois is much higher than we have here in Indiana and we have the second highest rate of legal concealed carry in the nation with roughly 1 out of 11 adults being licensed by the state to carry (openly or concealed) a handgun in their daily activities. Our murder rate is lower, robberies are lower, violent crime is lower, and gun carry is very high. You probably know several people who carry guns on a daily basis and don't even realize they have a gun in their purse, on their waistband or tucked under a shirt.

I'm asking THE TIMES to show a bit of journalistic integrity and start looking into facts and stop showing your bias.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I wish it would get them thinking. Unfortunately, however, it won't. He has been waging that war for a while to no avail. Keep up the good fight Melensdad!

(I'd give rep but I'm out until tonight.)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I wish it would get them thinking. Unfortunately, however, it won't. He has been waging that war for a while to no avail. Keep up the good fight Melensdad!

(I'd give rep but I'm out until tonight.)

I don't need the "rep point" what I need is for you to send a letter to THE TIMES stating that you want them to report honestly and not be a lap dog for the Anti-Gun politicians.

Believe it or not, I've waged a war against THE TIMES a few times over the years and gotten them to actually BACK DOWN. But it takes MORE THAN ME, it takes other people to adopt the personal policy of calling the media bias for what it is and pointing it out. They will respond to us IF we act in concert and IF we don't shut up.

Here is the link to send a letter to THE TIMES >>> Letters "The Northwest Indiana and Illinois Times"

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    ""hidden gun law" effectively rooted out the actual meaning of the bill that was sent to the Illinois Senate, and summarily "shot down" (how's that for a pun?). Concealed carry does not necessarily mean lazily carrying a firearm in a back pocket or tucked behind the waistband of ill-fitting boxers.

This fear-mongering based on gun ownership is ridiculous and 100% UNSUBSTANTIATED, because "The Times" should know that personal protection is every single citizen's right. 1 of 11 people in Indiana are able to carry a firearm (openly or concealed) and we have a lesser crime rate than many other states. I would also like to point out that most "Hoosiers" seem to be a bit more friendly and upbeat concerning their general demeanor as I believe knowing that you have the ability to defend yourself properly makes you less uptight, unlike a lot of chitown residents. You know, unpuckering and all of that.

You should consider re-evaluating your current anti-gun slant on related articles."

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Wow. I completely misread that. I actually thought that the Senate voted down a bill that was hiding a gun law. It almost got me excited for a minute.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    You know Daley and his cronies are going to kill any any LTCH for Illinois. There has been a ban on handguns in Chicago since about 1980 and the crime rate has been rising since. In my opinion many of the newspapers are anti-gun. They twist a story to get the readers to draw the wrong conclusion. If they can't get the guns out of the criminal hands they will take them away from the honest citizen.
    I don't know if many people remember, about 20 years ago Daley's son was at their summer home in Michigan and was arrested for threatening people with a shotgun belonging to Daley. The news reported it, then never followed up with the rest of the story. Never heard another word about it. Power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow. I completely misread that. I actually thought that the Senate voted down a bill that was hiding a gun law. It almost got me excited for a minute.

This is what I thought also at first. Since stuff is added to bills as pork all the time so if part is passed all is passed. I don't mean to insult our Pigs and us Bacon lovers when I use the word Pork.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I though the same thing myself, and my pants got a bit tighter until I read farther on :hooked:

Top Bottom