• ...and so much more!
  • lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville
    Applied for my Lifetime License in Vanderburgh County a year ago. I have had a four year before, but has been expired for a few years. I was denied within a few days of app being at the local sheriff's office. Called the sheriff's department and spoke to the guy that looked my app over and made the decision to mark my app for denial... When I asked him why he recommended the denial he responded with; "Because I can, based on your past I don’t believe you deserve a license to carry."

My "past" he referenced:
    1.) a few driving while suspended charges... Years back I had an attorney to fight reckless driving charge to speeding. all was well until the proper paperwork was not filed correctly in the clerk’s office. this bit me in the a** and caused my license to be suspended. all due to clerical errors.
    Fact #1 - I WAS driving on a suspended license...
    Fact #2 - My license should have never been suspended.
    All I got from the judge when this was finally cleared up = "Sorry"... That’s it? Haha.

2.) One Misdemeanor DUI five or six years ago.

the guy told me that I have too many issue on my record and he would not recommend an approval. As far as my knowledge of the law goes, I believe I'm still legally entitled to carry a firearm.

Should i try to re-apply? should i spend the $$$$ and contact an attorney? should i Move? haha.

anyone have any advice?

Last edited:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If this is all correct, it sure seems like a pretty easy appeal. Having said that, if you are beyond the window of appeal, you can apply and give up $$$ as often as you'd like.

Indiana is "shall issue" not an "I don't like you" state.

There are parameters for denial, and county police don't deny. They are to "recommend" and promptly forward it on to those who "shall issue."

The Indiana State Police Superintendent is charged with the responsibility of actually issuing the license and administering the licensing program.

I'd go back and re-do it, and I'd ask for the sheriff to assist you in filling out your paperwork with your criminal history in his hand.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If this is all correct, it sure seems like a pretty easy appeal. Having said that, if you are beyond the window of appeal, you can apply and give up $$$ as often as you'd like.

There are parameters for denial, and county police don't deny. They are to "recommend" and promptly forward it on to those who "shall issue."

The Indiana State Police Superintendent is charged with the responsibility of actually issuing the license and administering the licensing program.

I'd go back and re-do it, and I'd ask for the sheriff to assist you in filling out your paperwork with your criminal history in his hand.

^^^^^This^^^^^ And get your lifetime.

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville

Correct. The guy told me he was "recommending a denial."

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville

I will go down to the sheriff's post on lunch tomorrow and try to set up an appointment with the sheriff... This sounds like a good idea and will keep you posted. thanks for this advice.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    How long ago did he "recommend" you be denied? Did he still forward your application? Did you get a letter from ISP? I would call 317-232-8264 to check if they ever got your application. If they deny it, you are supposed to get a letter stating the reasoning for your denial.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Guy helped me get mine back. I got arrested for a college prank and the University Police threw the book at me in 97. Got my LTCH in 2000. In 2004, I tried to renew and was denied because of a "violent crime". It wasn't until 2012 that I found Guy (from a news clip about the Evansville guy at the zoo). Two months later, a pink slip in my hand.

Funny thing was, the charge was dropped to a lesser because of the "non-violent" circumstances, I was given probation for 1-yr on a defferal, and 50 hrs community service. At the end of all that, the charge should have been dropped completely from my record. They denied be based on the arrest, not the conviction. Once you find the right person, it's pretty easy to get a final result (not that yours will be as positive as mine).

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville
    How long ago did he "recommend" you be denied? Did he still forward your application? Did you get a letter from ISP? I would call 317-232-8264 to check if they ever got your application. If they deny it, you are supposed to get a letter stating the reasoning for your denial.

He did forward it... I did receive the Denial letter explaining that they have reason to believe i am not a proper person and all that. the guy told me they would deny it based on his recommendation... what sh**... this was a year ago this month.

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville
    I had a reckless driving on my record and had no issues getting my license

Yeah. i even told him that my history compared to the Indiana codes do/should not hinder my obtaining a license to carry. thats when he said "the state will usually 99% of the time deny if i tell them to and based on your history i dont think you are a proper person. you are welcome to appeal my decision." I truly think that they just dont want their citizens to be armed in this town...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did you do something to his sister....just saying. The charges you have on your record make me look like a choir boy and I have a LTCH. If there are no felony's and or spouse/girl friend abuse/stalking charges that ended with restraining orders you should be good.
    I would appeal the Barney Fife refusal.

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville
    Did you do something to his sister....just saying. The charges you have on your record make me look like a choir boy and I have a LTCH. If there are no felony's and or spouse/girl friend abuse/stalking charges that ended with restraining orders you should be good.
    I would appeal the Barney Fife refusal.

0 Felonies... 0 Disputes or disturbances of any kind, especially domestic. This guy, no scratch that, tool sounded like a buddy i have up in indy who i like to argue with, all hippy liberal an the like.

Top Bottom